5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 PM

Tranny Cooler?

who has it? is it good at all?
and how much for it?

thank you!!
Old 03-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I do

traditional cooler (check my page) it is good if you are going high speed so the tranny temp drops faster (I have a tranny temp gauge - check my homepage). but for local stop and go.....it doesnt do much - I drive it a bit harder and it hits 185 F and it stays there.

B&M has a cooler with fan and temp sensor - so when it hits 180F then fan will turn on and it will turn off when it is below 180F.

cooler type - tube and fin VS stacked plate

tube and fin is like the one I have in my homepage. It is not as good as the stacked plate ones becuase it does not have larger contact area for the ATF. Stacked plate coolers are like my oil cooler on the last page of my homepage. It is thicker and the passage is flat. It has a lot of contact area for the ATF and the cooling is more efficient with this type of cooler.

cost - Hayden tube and fin cooler - ~35 dollars. B&M's stacked plate cooler - ~65 dollars IIRC. With fan and sensor is like $110...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by [maxi-overdose]
I do

traditional cooler (check my page) it is good if you are going high speed so the tranny temp drops faster (I have a tranny temp gauge - check my homepage). but for local stop and go.....it doesnt do much - I drive it a bit harder and it hits 185 F and it stays there.

B&M has a cooler with fan and temp sensor - so when it hits 180F then fan will turn on and it will turn off when it is below 180F.

cooler type - tube and fin VS stacked plate

tube and fin is like the one I have in my homepage. It is not as good as the stacked plate ones becuase it does not have larger contact area for the ATF. Stacked plate coolers are like my oil cooler on the last page of my homepage. It is thicker and the passage is flat. It has a lot of contact area for the ATF and the cooling is more efficient with this type of cooler.

cost - Hayden tube and fin cooler - ~35 dollars. B&M's stacked plate cooler - ~65 dollars IIRC. With fan and sensor is like $110...
so all together is around $200?
Old 03-18-2004, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by GreekMaxima
so all together is around $200?

cheaper than that...the most expensive one is around $110 - $120. It should come with everything you need.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Horra!!

I bought a Hayden kit but I've yet to install it. Too damn lazy.....
Old 03-18-2004, 04:56 PM

i need the links guys... i wanna check around!!
Old 03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the B&M Hi-Tek Trans Coolers #130-70264. I got it from Jegs and I think it was $70 shipped. Look at my homepage at the bottom of page one to see pics of it in the grille. Some people say I installed it upside down with the hoses coming out the bottom, but I've seen others do the same thing. It still works just fine and the instructions don't say otherwise.

You'll have to buy another 4ft piece of hose which I found impossible from any shop around here so I recommend just buying more from jegs w/ the cooler to save on shipping.

Like Maxi-Overdose said.... just driving around town you can't tell the difference, but lets say you just pull off the interstate into traffic after a few hours of driving. You will notice how much smoother the tranny shifts since it was kept cool out on the interestate.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:00 PM

Has anyone ever installed one of these on a manual Maxima or is not possible?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
If I'm not mistaken it already has one? Well I know it's impossible, do to how it flows the fluid through the tranny. There is no where to tie into the lines because there aren't any...... well don't take my word on all of this, but I'm 100% sure you can't install one with a manual tranny so I'll just leave it at that.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
it is possible, I read something like this on magazine, but not Maxima. You will need a pump to get the gear oil out of the tranny.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by wildmanal
If I'm not mistaken it already has one? Well I know it's impossible, do to how it flows the fluid through the tranny. There is no where to tie into the lines because there aren't any...... well don't take my word on all of this, but I'm 100% sure you can't install one with a manual tranny so I'll just leave it at that.
The auto's already have one thats in the radiator. Hook up this one in series, in addition to the factory cooler.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...28&prmenbr=361
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 PM

i was looking on JEG's site and i saw the "racing trans cooler", is it better?
evrything include on this package?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:32 PM

i had one installed it was 60 for the cooler and 60 for install. i had it done at maximumtinning with the VB mod. i cant really tell much of a difference but i know it definitely helps
Old 09-21-2004, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
i had one installed it was 60 for the cooler and 60 for install. i had it done at maximumtinning with the VB mod. i cant really tell much of a difference but i know it definitely helps
how long it takes to install?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:03 AM

here the link to buy one
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...&d=15&x=11&y=9

And here is link on how to install it

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...n%20Cooler.htm
Old 09-21-2004, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
Yo, pearl where did you get the body kit on your car from?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:46 AM

how long it takes to install?

it took jeff like 20-35 min too install
Old 09-21-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by custommaximaSE
Yo, pearl where did you get the body kit on your car from?

i combined 2 bodykits, the front is Octane in polyutrethane and rear and sides are sarona, but the i had the rear bumper customized for dual exhaust.

if u want more info on the front pm me
Old 09-21-2004, 06:15 PM

i was looking on JEG's site and i saw the "racing trans cooler", is it better?
evrything include on this package?
The racing cooler needs fitting that are not included. Only good if you are using braided lines, not rubber hose, for your system.

The other kits contain all the parts but you may need more hose depending on where you mount the cooler.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by theMax
The racing cooler needs fitting that are not included. Only good if you are using braided lines, not rubber hose, for your system.

The other kits contain all the parts but you may need more hose depending on where you mount the cooler.
The cooler I got only came with one 4ft rubber hose. I should have ordered another 4ft because nobody in town had that particular size so I got something close to it. It works, but I was worried about leaks. I got my fluid changed a few months ago and the **** didn't tighten the hoze and I lost a lot of fluid.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by theMax

thanks, i will probably do it during October
Old 09-23-2004, 03:43 AM

so, what trans cooler pagkages include? it comes only with one 4ft hose? and i have to buy another one 4ft hose? why?
any link for this extra hose from JEG's site?

sorry for all those questions but i wanna know before i get it.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:02 AM
Banned

I found that 4' was lots enough. I disconnected the return at the trans and connected it to the cooler and used the supplied hose to connect from the other side of the cooler back to the trans.

Depends on where you install the cooler and in what position as to whether you need additional hose or not.

If you install with the hoses connecting to the bottom you will have lots of hose and contrary to popular believe the position does not affect cooling capability.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:50 AM
I live life on the edge

I've got a Hayden HD cooler. I have the output from the radiator going to the inlet of the tranny cooler for double cooling. I had to use some adapters for the two different size hoses. All in all very simple mod. I'll have pics soon
Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 AM
BP

i have a hayden tranny cooler installed in series as well.

i can feel a pretty distinct temp difference between the inlet hose to the cooler and the outlet hose to the trans. so in that sense i know it's definitely sending cooler fluid to the tranny. but i can't feel much of a difference in shifting, i guess i'm not supposed to...
Old 09-23-2004, 08:30 AM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by BP_3.5
i have a hayden tranny cooler installed in series as well.

i can feel a pretty distinct temp difference between the inlet hose to the cooler and the outlet hose to the trans. so in that sense i know it's definitely sending cooler fluid to the tranny. but i can't feel much of a difference in shifting, i guess i'm not supposed to...
Mar always shifted somewhat firm until the car heated up, then became soft. Since the tranny cooler install, I've noticed a lot firmer shifts after car has heated up. Where is your cooler mounted? Mine is down low where the main opening is.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:14 AM
BP

Originally Posted by skalberti
Mar always shifted somewhat firm until the car heated up, then became soft. Since the tranny cooler install, I've noticed a lot firmer shifts after car has heated up. Where is your cooler mounted? Mine is down low where the main opening is.
my shifts have always been pretty compliant so i guess that's why i haven't noticed much of a difference.

i've got the cooler mounted between the bumper and radiator as far down as possible by the bottom air inlet. you can barely see it in this pic...

Old 09-23-2004, 10:12 AM

I put mine on the right side of the upper grille. I didn't think it would get a lot of air flow by being so low and behind my lower grille inserts.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 AM

Here is some info and pics on mine. I used about 6 ft of hose

The area between the "factory outlet" and "To Cooler" is the factory tranny cooler. The area between "To Cooler" and "Return Line" is where the B&M is installed.

It's a really tight fit, but it's the only way to get around the radiator. Notice the extra pieces of hose I stuck around the other hoses for added protection.

A shot through the grille

\
The Hayden Tranny cooler is a lot thinner than the B&M allowing for an easier install, but in my opinion isn't as good. There is no way I could have installed mine where BP_3.5 did.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=GreekMaxima]

69-69-69
Old 09-23-2004, 02:28 PM

[QUOTE=GreekMaxima]

69-69-69
No clue and it isn't in their new catalog. There used to be a 4ft hose and some more clips to install the cooler for something like $12. Just give em a call and ask.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:24 PM

Are the Nissan trannys any good. How many miles can we expect to get out of a stock tranny assuming you do not beat on it all the time and you change the oil every 30k.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:01 AM

how is the install? any hard?
Old 09-24-2004, 05:49 AM
BP

the only difficult part of the install is finding a suitable place to mount whichever cooler you get. for me it was much easier due to the hayden cooler being fairly slim in comparison to other brands.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by BP_3.5
the only difficult part of the install is finding a suitable place to mount whichever cooler you get. for me it was much easier due to the hayden cooler being fairly slim in comparison to other brands.
it came with instructions?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:27 AM
BP

the instructions aren't very helpful because they're not vehicle specific. they really only explain how to connect the hoses, but not how or where to mount the cooler.

i think there's a write up somewhere in this thread which was helpful for me, but you still end up winging it most of the way through the install.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:05 PM

i just recieved the B&M tranny cooler.

i have to know anything about it before install it?
it voids tranny warranty?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:48 PM

Here's the link to my setup:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/158237/2

It's more than 1 year old and have no complaints.

pros:
- keeps tranny fluid temp cooler on highways
- prolongs the tranny life

cons:
- If the vents are open, you can feel the warm air blowing off the cooler into the car. (you didn't think the cooling came without a price, did ya )
- (suspected, unproven) slight lag in fluid pressure build because of the added cooler and lines to the fluid path.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by jvitale
Are the Nissan trannys any good. How many miles can we expect to get out of a stock tranny assuming you do not beat on it all the time and you change the oil every 30k.
Mine just took a big crap over the weekend at 48K.....and I don't beat it at all...

Nissan Tranny = a big
Old 10-11-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by RELENTLESS
Mine just took a big crap over the weekend at 48K.....and I don't beat it at all...

Nissan Tranny = a big
i know man, i had 2k2 max and the tranny was bad..... now, i have a 2k3 max and i have no problem at all, i got ~40,200 miles on it

Quick Reply: Tranny Cooler?