5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dynoed again and wasted...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Blu
the tits

Dynoed again and wasted...

my money on the Technosquare ECU. It gained absolutely nothing through the RPM band and only a couple hp top end from were they leaned the car from 12.0 to 13.0 a/f. I have 14 days to send the ECU back and get the stock program reflashed and I think I will go that route. Although the raised rev limiter is nice its not that efficient for the 3.5's and our ****ty manifold. So it seems I paid $550 counting shipping for no HP gain throughout the curve and no torque gain at all. I was so ****ed I left the shop and didn't get the files but I will get them e-mailed to me soon. Im puzzled on what to do. My previous runs before the TS ECU were 226whp and 228whp without the air filter. Todays runs with the ECU were 226whp and like 233whp without the air filter which I dont consider daily driving characteristics but possibly something I would do at the track.

Well guys there you have it. I talked with Danny @ TS and I have 14 days to return it and get refunded. He said I should try 1 step colder plugs but i just don't see that helping performance. Is TS a joke with this reflash in my eyes I can deal with a little hesitation and stock rev limiter and keep my $500 for an intake manifold project down the road. I just don't know wtf to do.

Matt
Old 03-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Damn, this really bums me out. This was going to be my next mod. Do you think the TS flash would be worth it if my dyno shows me running really rich? Or would a Greddy E-Manage or SAFC II be a better route.

I have to ask, how many VQ35's of any make Maxima, Altima, G35, 350Z) have shown a real HP gain with the TS Flash? I know I read many forums with these vehicles and I don't remember more than a handful that have had a significant HP gain.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Blu, once you get a chance, post up your OLD dyno and TODAYs dyno.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:04 PM
NT2SHBBY

only gains I saw posted were from TS themselves....I dont remember reading any thread that an actual org user got real gains

sorry bout that matt, but hey at least he accepts returns...any restocking fee or the like??

if anything the most u'll lose is the dyno fee, which aint cheap but it aint $500 either

Old 03-19-2004, 01:05 PM

Matt,

That's definately NOT what I expected to hear. It's great that you're getting a refund and all, but this is very disappointing from a perfomance/modding standpoint. Was TS able to provide any other insight (outside of suggesting colder plugs)?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 PM

O damn!
Old 03-19-2004, 01:12 PM

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about that. What a let down I was looking forward to seeing gains.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Blu
the tits

He told me our cars are designed for everyday stop and go driving and not for performance. He suggested 1 step colder plugs b/c the cars performance has been boosted and its more for racing now so the stock heat range might not be up to the task. His for of proof to that was a guy with a G35 gained nothing on the dyno with the TS ECU but put in 1 step colder plugs and felt an increase on the butt dyno but no actual dyno proof . Now I know TS isn't a new company or new at what they do but for $500 for a raised rev limiter and removed speed limiter is quite steap. It might help for a stock car but modded its really not worth it. Im going to try my best to get to the track tonight and will have the dynos posted tomorrow when I come into work. I'm just puzzled at what to do know....I have 14 days to decide.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM
The Definitive AE Master

matt:

sorry to hear about the waste of money. However, do u feel maybe it could be that you are running a stock TS ecu program for a relatively stock maxima? Therefore not completely utilizing the different mods you have on your car? Did TS offer you a reason as to why you didn't gain any power?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:17 PM
NT2SHBBY

Matt....all due respect..if u gained nothing, return it..$500 back in your pocket, saved for other stuff

Old 03-19-2004, 01:20 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by Larrio
matt:

sorry to hear about the waste of money. However, do u feel maybe it could be that you are running a stock TS ecu program for a relatively stock maxima? Therefore not completely utilizing the different mods you have on your car? Did TS offer you a reason as to why you didn't gain any power?
The thing is I dynoed before sending the ECU off so they tuned it for my specific mods and my a/f curves. The A/f is damn near 13.0 all the way across the board but I gained nothing except were they leaned it out from 5k on. Im heading out of work now and possibly to the track which is an hour away. I will check back on this later tonight.
Old 03-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Horra!!

Definately not the results that I was hoping to hear. I thought Juice got some gains from the ECU...
Old 03-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Blu,

Send me your before/after files once you get the after PLEASE.

We need to get your, studmans, and E55AMG2s dynos overlaid:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....41#post2810341
Old 03-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Sorry to hear that bro.....at least your experience
will sway us away from spending $500 on an otherwise useless mod......
Old 03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Humm....I drove a stock Max with a TS ECU......and I felt the difference....Sorry to hear that Matt. I guess its not what I thought it was......Maybe it wakes up stock Maximas.....and it needs to be tuned for cars like ours that have Mods...
Old 03-19-2004, 02:36 PM

Not defending anything until we AT LEAST see the dyno, but from studmans' post, E55AMG2 gained 10whp in "a good portion of the power band", ie area under the curve, yet not really any change in "(tuned) peak numbers".

Being that you have a 6spd, you'll benefit from those extra RPM.

Autos may not find this mod useful UNLESS they shift manually.

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
Sorry to hear that bro.....at least your experience
will sway us away from spending $500 on an otherwise useless mod......
Old 03-19-2004, 02:38 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Funny you mentioned that , since I did shift Krmaxima's car manually that time....
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear about this Matt. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if any of these mods we do are really making much of a difference at all. I mean I put all these mods on my car and I think my car is real powerful, but then I go to the dyno and I pull 227hp/231tq. Which is good, but not what I expected, then I go to the track and can only pull a 14.3@98. Good numbers again until I see that just this past week a fellow org member hits a 14.17 and 14.19 with a stock Maxima. Plus there's been numerous other stock and modded maxima's that have been right around my same time. I believe that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done all the suspension mods, but not the engine mods. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM

It's not funny, it's logic.

I mean, it all depends on the power/torque curve on when you should shift.

WE ARE NOT HONDUUUUHS, PEAK POWER DON'T MEAN ****.

Originally Posted by kloogy
Funny you mentioned that , since I did shift Krmaxima's car manually that time....
Old 03-19-2004, 02:45 PM
VQ Wizard

Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by 1BADMAX
Sorry to hear about this Matt. Honestly, sometimes I wonder if any of these mods we do are really making much of a difference at all. I mean I put all these mods on my car and I think my car is real powerful, but then I go to the dyno and I pull 227hp/231tq. Which is good, but not what I expected, then I go to the track and can only pull a 14.3@98. Good numbers again until I see that just this past week a fellow org member hits a 14.17 and 14.19 with a stock Maxima. Plus there's been numerous other stock and modded maxima's that have been right around my same time. I believe that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done all the suspension mods, but not the engine mods. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.
IMO trap speeds are more accurate in displaying any significant gains in power with modifications.

i'm dying to see blu's dyno curves in relation to other TS guys that have gained hp/tq in the power band
Old 03-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Not defending anything until we AT LEAST see the dyno, but from studmans' post, E55AMG2 gained 10whp in "a good portion of the power band", ie area under the curve, yet not really any change in "(tuned) peak numbers".

Being that you have a 6spd, you'll benefit from those extra RPM.

Well, I just got off the phone with Jeremy aka Studman and he and Mike aka E55AMG2 gained no whp at all. He said he's planning on posting the numbers in an hour or so. Anyway, I don't know the detail, but I thought you would want to know.
Old 03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by Larrio
IMO trap speeds are more accurate in displaying any significant gains in power with modifications.

i'm dying to see blu's dyno curves in relation to other TS guys that have gained hp/tq in the power band
Thats right Larry....since most of us dont hook worth a shiznit at our local crappy tracks...as you well know, trap speeds are more indicative of our mods....
Old 03-19-2004, 03:05 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Well, I just got off the phone with Jeremy aka Studman and he and Mike aka E55AMG2 gained no whp at all. He said he's planning on posting the numbers in an hour or so. Anyway, I don't know the detail, but I thought you would want to know.
i've been thinking about this peak hp thing with the TS ECU. Lets say the original peak hp on the 3.5 maxima was 225 @ 6700 rpms and slightly trailing off after that.

With an extended rev limiter your only prolonging the shift points so that the next gear is landed in a stronger powerband. It doesn't neccesarily mean that the ECU is used to compensate to add MORE power after the original 6700 because that is more of a mechanical design: i.e. intake manifold, engine, etc. So the peak hp at 6700 for the VQ35DE is already surpassed. It can be maintained, but will obviously trail off

example: lets say a 4th gen with USIM hits 180 whp @ 6200 rpm and power starts dying out. With an extended rev limiter and tuned fuel maps, the customer cannot expect 190 whp @ 7000 rpm because the intake manifold is limiting high rpm breathing

Also, with the tuned fuel maps in the TS ecu, it does that job by smoothing out the dyno curve, adding up to a max of 10whp throughout the powerband.

*********EDIT: misinterpreted 1badmax's post
Old 03-19-2004, 03:25 PM

Well considering he just posted...

Originally Posted by studman
As far as the "non-headers" package, E55AMG2's car also got dyno'd today. His (tuned) peak numbers weren't much different from before, but the area under the curve was +10 WHP in a good portion of the power band.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:31 PM

Since Blu didn't get 240whp like he was *HOPING* for, I feel he may have been let down.

Once he posts the curves and we can compare, I'd like to see what happens.

PEAK number is all we have right now. What if it held HP/TQ for longer? Put down 10whp under the curve in the midrange like AMG? He already said it helped response, so sounds like some torque down low was increased? AGAIN, peak numbers are VERY very hard to tell from, we shouldn't jump the gun YET.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:45 PM

hrmm.. thanx for the heads up blu.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Keep in mind that you *are* on a new tranny, and the new tranny might still be a bit "stiff". If you did your baseline on the new tranny also then fine. But if your baseline was on the old one then that's something to consider.

The leaner AFR shows that the "engine" should at least in theory be making more power, but due to variable parasitics of new vs old tranny it might be tough to get a good reading on. There are lots of variables on chassis dynos.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

this is disappointing news..the only nissan tuner that was ever able to crack a nissan ECU with DYNO proven results was JWT.. I was going to get the TS ECU, but too many dynos showed no gains... I hope JWT cracks the 02+ ECUs..im sure the 3.5 motor in so many cars should make them do that...

Old 03-19-2004, 05:38 PM

Don't hold your breath.

Clark Steppler could care less about learning the new ECUs from what I've heard.

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
this is disappointing news..the only nissan tuner that was ever able to crack a nissan ECU with DYNO proven results was JWT.. I was going to get the TS ECU, but too many dynos showed no gains... I hope JWT cracks the 02+ ECUs..im sure the 3.5 motor in so many cars should make them do that...
Old 03-19-2004, 05:52 PM
VQ Wizard

As far as I am concerned the world will be a better place once JWT is gone from this Earth.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:06 PM

Care to comment here on VQ35s in the Max vs 350z?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....48#post2810648
Old 03-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Keep in mind that you *are* on a new tranny, and the new tranny might still be a bit "stiff". If you did your baseline on the new tranny also then fine. But if your baseline was on the old one then that's something to consider.

The leaner AFR shows that the "engine" should at least in theory be making more power, but due to variable parasitics of new vs old tranny it might be tough to get a good reading on. There are lots of variables on chassis dynos.
The headers dyno was after the new transmission and only a week or so ago. I will overlay the runviewer files when I get to work tomorrow and get them. I know there isn't 10whp under the curve maybe one or two b/c the guys at the shop overlayed my 229whp run which was done without an air filter in and the lines were almost identical. With headers only it did 226whp with the airfilter in and 229whp with it out. With the headers and ECU it did 226whp with the filter and 233whp without the filter. Blah enough of this Im tired and just got home from the track...
Old 03-19-2004, 08:25 PM
Blu
the tits

Since Blu didn't get 240whp like he was *HOPING* for, I feel he may have been let down.

Once he posts the curves and we can compare, I'd like to see what happens.

PEAK number is all we have right now. What if it held HP/TQ for longer? Put down 10whp under the curve in the midrange like AMG? He already said it helped response, so sounds like some torque down low was increased? AGAIN, peak numbers are VERY very hard to tell from, we shouldn't jump the gun YET.
Well I did look at the overlays at the shop and there is no midrange power added well maybe just maybe 1-2hp at some spots. It did however gain around 4whp top end from running 12.0 with headers to 13.0 after the ECU. The reason response feels better is the annoying hesitation is finally gone.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:29 PM
Blu
the tits

Ohh and guys I don't know if the ECU contributed to my trap speeds tonight but I was over 100mph hot lapping all night with full interior. My best being 100.95 on the last run of the night hot lapping from a run before about 2 mins before. I now know at the faster track I visit with the car gutted on slicks it will run some unbelievable times. My best time was only a 13.92 but again this was with full interior. Gutted it would have ran a few tenths better and picked up about a mph or maybe more. On slicks gutted tonight I could have ran a 13.5@102 easily without even cooling the car.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
Ohh and guys I don't know if the ECU contributed to my trap speeds tonight but I was over 100mph hot lapping all night with full interior. My best being 100.95 on the last run of the night hot lapping from a run before about 2 mins before. I now know at the faster track I visit with the car gutted on slicks it will run some unbelievable times. My best time was only a 13.92 but again this was with full interior. Gutted it would have ran a few tenths better and picked up about a mph or maybe more. On slicks gutted tonight I could have ran a 13.5@102 easily without even cooling the car.
So does this mean the TS ECU did make a difference?
Old 03-20-2004, 02:46 AM

That's encouraging news! Hopefully, the guru's on here and make some sense of this and your dynos.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:32 AM

.....so you broke into high 13's/trapped +100mph on street tires
w/ bolt ons and ECU on an auto.....I'd say somethings sure workin'!
Old 03-20-2004, 04:08 AM

Man thats excellent times! At what r.p.m are you launching at? The best I could do last night was 14.731@94.86 thats with my 19's & auto, power braking and launching at about 3,500 rpm. I do have the TS flash didnt gain a thing. Last years 1/4 mi. run was 14.40@96.2 without the TS flash and HS headers but with the stock 17's. I am still considering having the ecu returned to stock.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:24 AM

dude it's your 19's trust me.

Quick Reply: Dynoed again and wasted...