5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fire extinguisher "mod"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 01:58 PM
retired moderator

Fire extinguisher "mod"

While at the junkyard noticed a number of cars were burned out or fire damaged, including a 4th-gen and a 5-th gen maxima, which were both pretty much burned out completely. So I'm thinking wtf would I do if my ride caught on fire somehow (cigarette, fuel leak, whatever)....so obviously fire extinguisher is the answer. Well, at least if its a "small" fire
Anyhow, here it is - $20 extinguisher from Advance auto (brand is "kiddie"). The sides of our trunks don't seem to have much support so I mounted it from the metal bar accross the top of the trunk. Easy access and it doesn't get in the way of trunk cargo. Hey, at least I don't have it strapped to the a-pillar like a ricer!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good thinking, but I don't see how it is a modification.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by irish44j
While at the junkyard noticed a number of cars were burned out or fire damaged, including a 4th-gen and a 5-th gen maxima, which were both pretty much burned out completely. So I'm thinking wtf would I do if my ride caught on fire somehow (cigarette, fuel leak, whatever)....so obviously fire extinguisher is the answer. Well, at least if its a "small" fire
Anyhow, here it is - $20 extinguisher from Advance auto (brand is "kiddie"). The sides of our trunks don't seem to have much support so I mounted it from the metal bar accross the top of the trunk. Easy access and it doesn't get in the way of trunk cargo. Hey, at least I don't have it strapped to the a-pillar like a ricer!
POST *****!!!
dam, now i need one.
and it is a mod

Modification - The act of modifying or the condition of being modified
Modify - To change in form or character; alter.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:37 PM
retired moderator

It's kind of like the "mag lite mod", which is quite popular on the org. In fact it's exactly the same idea (i.e. bolt on a mounting bracket)...

If it's not stock, it's a modification by definition.
Damn i'm getting ripped by a newbie!
Old 03-20-2004, 02:39 PM
retired moderator

Jason you need a full-size fire extinguisher. Haha when I was putting it on the dude a couple houses down from me was on his front porch and he was like "why you putting a NOS tank there?". I told him it was only a 5-shot!

Haha jason post *****? Takes one to know one...you've been on the org like 2 weeks longer than me and we have about the same # of posts. We're both post ******!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great, now you can just flip them ciggies in your backseat and whip out the extinguisher if the flames really start lickin'!

Man, I joined before you guys and look at my post count. I'm such a prude.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:43 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Gayest mod ever.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by asu174
Gayest mod ever.
Next to your trim?
Old 03-21-2004, 11:16 AM
retired moderator

Gayest mod ever.
...this coming from a guy with gauges on the A-pillar of your previous car. whatever.

I fail to see what's gay about it. I like to think of it as a smart addition to the car, considering it's in the interest of safety. That's like saying carrying a first-aid kit or road flares is gay too. Hey I hope you have a good time if your car or anything else catches on fire. I am laughing at the thought of you trying to douse the fire with a can of Pepsi or something.....

Besides, its in the trunk, so not like I'm trying to do it for looks....like ricers who have it mounted on the A-or B-pillar inside the car like they're a NASCAR driver or something. Only reason I mounted it where I did is for easy access and there was a frame piece to screw the bracket into....
Old 03-21-2004, 02:10 PM

...this coming from a guy with gauges on the A-pillar of your previous car. whatever.
Wow, you really got me on that one. I suppose that not having a fuel pressure gauge for my nitrous would have been MUCH smarter.

Hey I hope you have a good time if your car or anything else catches on fire.
Are you that worried about your car spontaneously combusting?

Carrying a fire extinguisher in your trunk isn't that bad of an idea. Calling it a "mod" on the other hand.......
Old 03-21-2004, 02:27 PM
LithiuMax

I want one of those little silver ones so I can put it somewhere in the front area of the car...

Old 03-21-2004, 02:35 PM

i dont think i ever heard a story of car catching fire unless it was in an accident
Old 03-21-2004, 02:36 PM

Good idea. And nice place. I hate when people put it by the window.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
retired moderator

Carrying a fire extinguisher in your trunk isn't that bad of an idea. Calling it a "mod" on the other hand.......
That's why I put "mod" in quotation marks....kind of like the mag-lite "mod", kind of a quasi-mod. It's called sarcasm.....
As to spontaneous combustion, no. The extinguisher is not necessarily for my car. A few examples:
1. hey, I could get in a wreck that causes a fire.
2. I have seen cars on fire on the edge of the road - in fact one burned up right in front of my street when I was in college apparently bc of a loose fuel line that caught a spark when he went over a speedbump too fast and bottomed out....
3. other things can catch on fire. Once at a football game I saw some dude catch his recliner chair on fire bc embers from the grill got blown onto it. He had a fire extinguisher in his jeep and saved the chair. Actually, that one was pretty hilarious.

Anyways I'm not trying to say its a mod. It's a "mod". Not like a supercharger mod, but more like a hard-wired radar detector "mod"....

Why you gotta be hating?
Old 03-21-2004, 05:07 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
i dont think i ever heard a story of car catching fire unless it was in an accident
You should have seen the 5th gen maxima we saw at the junkyard....didn't look liek it had been in an accident (no damaged body panels), but the entire interior and engine compartment were completely torched. The front door had MELTED shut! Could have been arson, cigarette, fuel leak, whatever. Just didn't look like an accident. I'll take a pic of it if we go back tothe junkyard any time....
Old 03-21-2004, 06:32 PM

Nice idea. Actually in Europe, you HAVE to have a fire ext. otherwise you don't pass inspection.

About mounting. In my previous car I had a CD changer mounted almost in the same spot, and it proved to be a big pain, as large items would not fit in the trunk, because they would not clear the changer. So, how about mounting it on the back side of the trunk lid? The only problem I see it becoming to heavy and trunk closing and hitting you in the head
Old 03-21-2004, 06:50 PM
retired moderator

I was thinking about that, but it turned out to be a bit of a pain to find a flush metal spot to drill the self-tapping screws through. Basically, I was too lazy to do that, though it was my first thought and I may move it to the bottom of the trunk lid when another warm day comes along. Until then, I can always take the extinguisher off the bracket if I have to fit something big in there. Thanks for the input though, I was wondering about that.

Yeah I had a fire extinguisher in my Lancia when i lived in italy...there was an OEM mount for it, though I don't know if the extinguisher actually had any charge in it!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:42 PM

You should have seen the 5th gen maxima we saw at the junkyard....didn't look liek it had been in an accident (no damaged body panels), but the entire interior and engine compartment were completely torched. The front door had MELTED shut! Could have been arson, cigarette, fuel leak, whatever. Just didn't look like an accident. I'll take a pic of it if we go back tothe junkyard any time....
There's a 99.99% chance that it was stolen and then torched to get rid of fingerprints etc.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:52 PM

im going to have to agree with irish44j ...this is a good idea ...you will never know when your going to need one. and as for asu174 why do you care? and yes this is basically the exact same concept as the maglite "MOD" , so dont be baggin on irish44j, ...better safe than sorry...

just my .02
Old 03-21-2004, 08:08 PM
retired moderator

well, apparently asu has the rock solid figures on the probability of that car being stolen and torched to remove fingerprintes........perhaps he should leave his sales job and become a bookie or oddsmaker.

but damn man what's your problem? If you don't dig it, don't do it to your car.... I'm just putting an idea out there in case anyone is interested. Last I checked, that's what these forums are for.

From my viewpoint, better safe than sorry....
but I guess asu wouldn't want a fire extinguisher messing up his "cool factor"....
Old 03-21-2004, 09:09 PM

perhaps he should leave his sales job and become a bookie or oddsmaker.
Did you spend all day scouring my homepage to find dirt on me?

Don't take it so personally. I called it gay because it's completely unnecessary. Modern cars just don't randomly start burning. But if it makes you feel secure, more power to you.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:56 AM

I carry a fire extinguisher in my trunk. I have used it once on the freeway. A ladies engine caught fire and she had two small children with her. Of the four drivers who stopped immediately to help her, I was the only one with the extinguisher. Mod or not, carry one. It might not help you, but it might help someone else.

Pedro
Old 03-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Cletus

Originally Posted by pruizgarcia
I carry a fire extinguisher in my trunk. I have used it once on the freeway. A ladies engine caught fire and she had two small children with her. Of the four drivers who stopped immediately to help her, I was the only one with the extinguisher. Mod or not, carry one. It might not help you, but it might help someone else.

Pedro
are you sure it wasnt set on fire to destroy fingerprints??
according to asu, that would be the ONLY reason it would be on fire
a fire extinguisher is ALWAYS a good idea
Old 03-22-2004, 05:55 AM

Anothter fire extinguisher may have helped this girl out... Not for the faint of heart http://www.onlyinternet.net/bmeyer/drunkdriving.htm

As far as a fire extinguisher being gay to have in your car, I don't think it would be gay if it saved your life.

CW
Old 03-22-2004, 06:04 AM

Hey, Irish, how many times have you heard on WTOP about car fires? They seem to just happen spontaneously around Washington. Maybe it's all the hot air when congress is in session?

And ASU174, yes, modern cars DO start to burn for no reason. That's why you hear about recalls like this one:
Make: DODGE
Model: GRAND CARAVAN
Year: 1997
Recall Number: 00V268000
Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MINI VANS BUILT WITH 3.3L AND 3.8L ENGINES HAVE FUEL RAILS WITH NITROLE RUBBER O-RING SEALS THAT CAN DEGRADE OVER TIME. FUEL LEAKAGE FROM THE UNDERHOOD FUEL INJECTION FUEL RAIL COULD RESULT, INCREASING THE LIKELIHOOD OF A VEHICLE FIRE.
Consequence:
FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Banned

if your car has a bad enough fire for you to need that your going to need a new car 9 times out of 10.

so your driving and suddenly your car catches on fire? ok so you pull over open the trunk get out the new 'mod' and then put it out?

if my engine caught on fire i'd run the **** away. if the engine compartment is on fire your pretty much screwed imo.

if somehow your interior in some odd impossible way caught on fire while you were driving(cigaretts? not likely...) how does your 'mod' help you? whatever is on fire just rip it out of the car. the one thing things this doesn't apply to would be the floor rug which is really hard to light on fire, i know i'v dropped multi ciggs and other lit substances on many car rugs and all it does is singe.

nice mod. but i don't see it ever having a real life use.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Banned

btw my next mod is going to be a hammer...i'll keep in my driver's side door pouch. its not considered a dangerous weapon but it can beat the living **** out of anyone who comes in touch with it. oh and it is a mod cuz i will add it to my car. just like the pack of smokes in my glove box and my deoderant those are mods too they didn't come stock! oh and i have that magazine in the back passenger seat pouch! i need to update my car domain page now...
Old 03-22-2004, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE=asu174] Did you spend all day scouring my homepage to find dirt on me?

Do you know why charliekilo3 is calling your trim Gay? Check what you have

listed your trim as?! Yeah take a look