5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Should I trade in my max for a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:15 AM

Should I trade in my max for a TL?

Hey guys, I havent posted on here in a while but I need some help. Ive always firmly believed that my 2k2 SE Auto w/ Nav and all options was better than the 3.2 TL type S (the 2002 model atleast). I just looked at some reviews for the TL and the new TL's website, priced one out the way I'd like it and am SERIOUSLY considering trading my max in. A year ago, I would have argued the pro's of our fifth gen's over their TL's to death, but today im drawing a blank. If anybody knows for a fact any negative aspects of the new TL, please respond and tell me, as I'd appreciate it. Im not asking for TL-bashing, just facts about the TL that they wouldn't necessarily put on their website or in their brochure or anything. I really don't want to give up my max, I love it very much (sterling mist is a beautiful color, esp. with black leather interior), but the TL just seems like a much better car. Please prove me wrong.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:18 AM
NT2SHBBY

negative is the depreciation right now on the max...IMO wait another 1-1.5 years

Old 03-24-2004, 08:22 AM

As an owner of a 2003 TL Type-S I'd have to say that the new 04 TL (3rd Gen) has nicer options than the 5th Gen Max....power was increased and that damn tranny problem that alot of us went through is taken care of in the 3rd Gen TL. If you choose to go that route look into the TL Aspec ...it's factory lowered and comes with an aero package and 18in Gunmetal Wheels. If you have any questions that you'd like answered PM me...or visit this site and post up some questions.

http://www.acura-tl.com

-J
Old 03-24-2004, 08:48 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

I would trade my Max for the new TL
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Desielmo
Hey guys, I havent posted on here in a while but I need some help. Ive always firmly believed that my 2k2 SE Auto w/ Nav and all options was better than the 3.2 TL type S (the 2002 model atleast). I just looked at some reviews for the TL and the new TL's website, priced one out the way I'd like it and am SERIOUSLY considering trading my max in. A year ago, I would have argued the pro's of our fifth gen's over their TL's to death, but today im drawing a blank. If anybody knows for a fact any negative aspects of the new TL, please respond and tell me, as I'd appreciate it. Im not asking for TL-bashing, just facts about the TL that they wouldn't necessarily put on their website or in their brochure or anything. I really don't want to give up my max, I love it very much (sterling mist is a beautiful color, esp. with black leather interior), but the TL just seems like a much better car. Please prove me wrong.
New TL is definitely a nice car. My friend just got one. I drove it for trip we took and
as to compare to my car, his car was Auto and it just didn't feel as powerful as my car.
Where is the torque on that car??? It drove fine, handling was ok, I was expecting better.
I think my Max handles better, I know that I have H&Rs now, but I think it handled better
even with stock springs compared to new TL.
I think it is a great car, specially the interior is really nice, but in power and handling I was
disappointed a bit.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:07 AM

new TL rocks, i'd trade my max for it in a heartbeat
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 AM

Oh Yea!

I'd also trade in a minute. I love the exterior and interior styling and the interior textures and build quality are awesome. I don't know actual dimensions, but to me, the TL feels just a little smaller than our 5th gens inside, it's definitely less airy feeling inside. Maybe its the higher belt-line. Otherwise, I think it's a great car.

The only thing keeping me out of a TL is that I don't want to spend several thousand to keep my 350/mo payment.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:47 AM

I seriously looked into the TL a month or two ago, but Acura hardly budges off of sticker. I couldn't really get a NAVI TL for much less than 34K
Old 03-24-2004, 09:52 AM

My friend has had a 2004 TL for about 2 months now, and I would get rid of my Maxima for it in a second. In my opinion it's a very stylish, roomy, and overall appealing car. The car is very quick, in automatic, and even faster in manual. It's navigation system is top-notch, and works great, and the voice-command system is very useful and works great. The 2004 TL is not that expensive, and I think it's worth the money. The interior does not feel cheap at all, and looks very new-aged and techno sort of. It comes with a brushed-aluminum/carbon-fiber type of dash stock, and awesome blue-lit guages.

If I were you, I'd sell the Max
Old 03-24-2004, 10:06 AM

If you still want a 4 door speed deamon, then you should look into the G35 sedan. It has a 6 speed and its rear wheel drive and the TL is front. In car and driver it beat out the TL in most of the tests! I think the G35 looks better also. The TL is sweet, so youre in a tough spot. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2004, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my boss has the new TL in charcol color...wow its nice looking....i still love my max though
Old 03-24-2004, 10:16 AM
NT2SHBBY

gotta love all these ppl....supposed "die hard" maxima "enthusiasts" but are willin to turn their back in a second for a competitor...

frankly, it makes me wanna

Old 03-24-2004, 10:28 AM

either you are obviously not happy with your Max or your lease is up....in either case your mind was set before you posted this bs....IF YOU REALLY
want to know the cons of the new TL you should be looking into the TL /Acura forums......not posting here.....
Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 AM

The only problems Ive heard about the TL is cheap leather seats, rattles, and tires that vibrate at highway speeds.

I test drove the new TL with one of my co-workers and was pretty impressed. It seems like you get a lot for your money.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:21 AM

Not me. Like all Hondas and Acuras (yes even the NSX), the TL is boring looking and probably way overrated (to me anyway). My girl has the Accord-- don't do nothin for me. I never did like Hondas. Never will.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:34 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
gotta love all these ppl....supposed "die hard" maxima "enthusiasts" but are willin to turn their back in a second for a competitor...

frankly, it makes me wanna
You mean that if the competitor made a better product (at a reasonable price)you wouldn't pursue it for the sake of loyalty?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:37 AM
is invisible

I would test drive the TL (I'm assuming you haven't) and then perform your own cost-benefit analysis to if it's worth it.

You will get ripped on trade-in value for the Max and the Acura dealer will hardly budge on their price.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:41 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by CoolMax
You mean that if the competitor made a better product (at a reasonable price)you wouldn't pursue it for the sake of loyalty?

not that at all....but u got a maxima, and ur on a so-called "maxima enthusiast" board, and yall hatin on the car that you're supposed to enjoy.....

i can see postin this on an acura board-but then they are all biased.....

what i really dont fathom is how we all own maximas but talk down against them like they are no better than sentras...I had an 04 rental sentra for a week and lemme say,

I LOVE MY MAXIMA!

Old 03-24-2004, 11:43 AM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

Whatever happened to being happy with what you got? Maxima owners are some of the most uncontent people.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:47 AM

id take a new tl 6 speed over any max.

i love my max, but a tl has superior quality and performance.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
not that at all....but u got a maxima, and ur on a so-called "maxima enthusiast" board, and yall hatin on the car that you're supposed to enjoy.....

what i really dont fathom is how we all own maximas but talk down against them like they are no better than sentras...
I loved my `93, and I love my `01. However, I'm always looking for something better, and what's next. Yes, the Maxima is considered a respectable car, but there are much better vehicles out there. Just because I like another car and think it's better than the one I own, doesn't mean I hate my car or don't enjoy it. It just means that there are better things.

My Maxima has served me loyally, and I enjoy it
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

Taking a multi-thousand dollar hit just to get ANOTHER fwd car with less torque down low and similar performance is nuts.

If it were an intial purchase then that's another story.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:56 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Taking a multi-thousand dollar hit just to get ANOTHER fwd car with less torque down low and similar performance is nuts.

If it were an intial purchase then that's another story.

you know Jeff, you make some VERY solid points at times....

Old 03-24-2004, 11:56 AM
is invisible

I'm not bashing the Maxima, and there's nothing wrong with being happy with what you have (that should apply to every car, not just the Maxima, if you believe that), but it shouldn't hurt too much to admit/acknowledge that something is better.
Yes, it's a Maxima board...that's doesn't mean you have to oblivious of the rest of the auto world.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

You know what looks interesting is Chevy's new GTO.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:17 PM
is invisible

You know what looks interesting is Chevy's new GTO.

Ok, this thread has unofficially fallen to ****!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:29 PM

OK just to clear some air in here.......The acura guys are the same way you guys are....we love the maximas and hate our cars and vice versa....and then each site has it's die hard fans. I being an acura owner have appreciation for both cars. I've dealt with both so i know their Good points and Bad. It honestly comes down to personal opinion. Alot of the problems that you've been hearing about acura's tl has been taken care of with non stop warranty work just like how the maxima's have.

I know i have an 03 TL and I want to dump it for the 04 Aspec because everything is upgraded. Trust me no one site is biased...they are all biased when aimed towards one car or one brand of cars.

I hope this clears things up a bit....

oh yeah btw...Pontiacs GTO kicks a$$.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well if he's gonna trade,might was well trade for something rwd/awd and fast. That engine is 400hp

Ok, this thread has unofficially fallen to ****!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:35 PM
is invisible

Well if he's gonna trade,might was well trade for something rwd/awd and fast. That engine is 400hp
I'd rather push for the G35..call me Japanese-biased. It's hard to deny the 340hp in the GTO, but the thing loks like a fancy cavalier.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:35 PM

I think this is a classic case of growing bored with what you've got, no matter how good it is, and wanting something new. If you're happy with throwing away thousands on your invest then....
Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 PM

I'd rather push for the G35..call me Japanese-biased. It's hard to deny the 340hp in the GTO, but the thing loks like a fancy cavalier.

I agree the exterior styling is a bit bland.....in 05 you should see some nice changes to the exterior.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:27 PM

WTF!!!

I never thought I would see the word Pontiac on the org.

Moderator, Can we make sure that word is ***ed out, it offends me

Old 03-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Bluetooth technology, DVD-audio, eight speaker system and a higher quality of materials. Thats the interior edge of the TL. Not to mention, the TL handles better. But, the Nissan 3.5 engine feels much better in terms of power, even if it isn't on paper. I don't like the looks of the new TL. I like my 2002 GLE much more. I think you will be upsidedown if you trade in. Nissan was gonna give me $15k for my Max, which is in perfect condition, and they acted like they were doin me a favor. Acura is gonna stick it to you even worse. My suggestion is to sell your Max private party, and use the money you make as a healthy down payment so you can get your payments somewhere thats cozy. If you can make $5k or so on your Maxima, then the Acura won't hurt your wallet as much. Otherwise you need to consider whether its worth it to you to be on the losing end of the transaction. Because if you trade in, you will be. IF you can get the TL for $32k you're gonna be lookin at somewhere in the neighborhood of $475-$500 a month for 6 years. If you can drop five or six grand on it in the beginning and get it to $26-27k, you're looking at like $400-425 for 5 years. BTW, before I am labeled a defector, I have to say that although the TL is a great car with awesome tech built in, I would keep my Max instead. The VQ is in my blood
Old 03-24-2004, 03:46 PM

I recommend going to car-max to get an apprasial for your car. They usually give a good deal. Take that apprasial and use that as a tool when you buy your car at a dealer.

You can't really compare the 5th generation maxima to the 04 tl.
When my car hits 36k miles, I'll be trading it in for the new tl. To me, it offers a lot more then the 6th generation maxima.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:38 PM
drag racing is for wussies

funny ya say the TL is a nice car... I work at a Acura dealer as a mechanic and would not own one ever. Go visit www.acurasucks.com for more info why it sucks.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:06 PM

Why the downgrade? If I were to trade in my Maxima for Acura TL, I'd be getting the new one with 270 hp.

~limsandy
Old 03-24-2004, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
funny ya say the TL is a nice car... I work at a Acura dealer as a mechanic and would not own one ever. Go visit www.acurasucks.com for more info why it sucks.
Funny thing you say that. The nissan dealer I go to, the master tech says the same exact thing about nissan cars lol.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I used to work at Nissan, I'm certainly biased, but I see sooo much BAD shizzo coming out of Acura lately that I much reather drive a Hyundai- which I also worked for. Our shop foreman drives 2 Nissans and a DSM. No tech at the dealer owns a newer Acura- newest one is a 97 2.2CL with 180K miles. Legends, Integras and even the Vigor where very good cars, anything after them sucks.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:03 PM

No more FWD cars for me. Don't care how "luxury" they appear to be. How can you compare a 5th gen max to a 3rd gen TL anyway. The 6th gen is more alongs the lines and I would choose a 6th gen Max over a TL-S(Torque low-slow).

G35 is too small inside for me, so is the G35 coupe.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:17 PM

I'm tryin to sell my Max to get the 350. Interior space is not much of a concern to me right now.

Quick Reply: Should I trade in my max for a TL?