5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k4 rotors for a 5th gen BBK...good price.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 03:14 PM
retired moderator

2k4 rotors for a 5th gen BBK...good price.

Well got my BlehmCo brake mount brackets so I can now install the 12.6" 2k4 rotors on my 2k...anyhow, called around and got the rotors, and just want to let you all know that at Passport Nissan Marlow Heights (MD) the rotors are only $105 each - most other dealers in the area are charging around $140 for them. Not sure what DaveB's prices are on them, but just want to let everyone know where you can get cheap (and in stock) 2k4 rotors....
Old 03-24-2004, 04:06 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by irish44j
Well got my BlehmCo brake mount brackets so I can now install the 12.6" 2k4 rotors on my 2k...anyhow, called around and got the rotors, and just want to let you all know that at Passport Nissan Marlow Heights (MD) the rotors are only $105 each - most other dealers in the area are charging around $140 for them. Not sure what DaveB's prices are on them, but just want to let everyone know where you can get cheap (and in stock) 2k4 rotors....
I just talked to DaveB today to get a tracking number for my 04 rotors. I think the price was $184.xx shipped. I ordered mine on the 18th but were backordered and they shipped out on the 23rd. My brackets came in on the 22nd and now I'm just waiting on the rotors.

BTW: Thanks Matt Blehm for the great kit.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 PM
retired moderator

good deal.....all the other dealers around here were out of stock except the one I went to, which is right near my work.....So I spend $25 on convenience I guess...doh! DaveB rules!

yeah, can't wait to get the kit on!!!! Damn these 2k4 rotors are beefy! no way they could warp!
Old 03-24-2004, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am very eager to hear peoples' impressions of this once they're installed!

Irish, are you installing new pads with these or using the old pads? If you're using your old pads, I'd like to hear any feedback regarding braking power/pedal effort/etc... curious if the BBK actually improves braking at the same time
Old 03-24-2004, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis

Irish, are you installing new pads with these or using the old pads? If you're using your old pads, I'd like to hear any feedback regarding braking power/pedal effort/etc... curious if the BBK actually improves braking at the same time

I did get another set of '04 rotors in today, I think the back-orders are releasing. Availability should not be a problem!
Old 03-24-2004, 06:54 PM
retired moderator

spirilis,
when I rotated tires today I looked and my pads are kind of on the low side....I might install the Blehmco kit with the old pads until I decide on what kind of new pads to get....

I'm not expecting any great gains in braking, except in the winter when I go skiing. This winter coming down the mountains with a full load of friends and gear in the car i overshot a turn by 20 ft because the brakes were so hot...thankfully the road kept going!

I'm doing it because:
1. will never have to feel the warped rotor shimmy again (hopefully)
2. OEM rotors look so wimpy!
3. wont heat up as fast in situations like above.

will post how it goes....if no rain I will do this tomorrow....
Old 03-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Wat

The rotors are made out of the same soft metal that the 2ks are. But there is simply more of it. If you drive the same way, the same thing will happen again but a little less..
Old 03-24-2004, 07:21 PM
retired moderator

...but in theory the extra mass will result in the rotors not heating up as fast and the heat dissipating faster. Also the metal is thicker. As we have seen with aftermarket 11" rotors warping as well, I don't see it as the metal being too soft, but as the rotors simply being too small to handle the weight of the car under load, thereby causing overheating and warping. The 12.6" rotors should be more in line with the size the OEM rotors on our cars SHOULD have been....That's why Nissan upgraded on the 2k4 maxima...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:50 PM
Wat

Wrong, nissan upgraded the rotors because nissan upgraded the weight. The softness of metal actually affects the so called warping you speak of. The rotors do not physically warp, but rather pick up deposits of pad material that are marginally raised over the actual surface of the rotor. These raised sections cause the pads to ride over them and consequently cause the pulsation of which you speak. I had my 2k1 for 40000 miles and not a whip of the "warping". Its all about how you drive. If you brake hard without first trail braking, the nissan rotors will "warp" because the metal compound is so soft. Trust me, I have studied this forever on many different applications. Its always the same thing. Japanese cars, for some reason, like to use soft metal in their brakes. I guess because they contribute to a smooth feel and low noise.

Powerslots are a much harder metal, and zinc plated. not to mention they are slotted. The extra cooling and harder metal both contribute to the fact that they will not transfer any pad material. Especially if you use full metal pads (hawk HP+ and HPS). The only issue is noise, which I am working on
Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 PM
retired moderator

well, I guess we'll see what happens.....

if true warping is not the problem, why did my cousin have to have the rotors on his 2k1 turned only 2 weeks after he bought it (new) because they were pulsating upon braking. After Nissan turned them under warranty, problem was solved. I can't see how that much "brake residue" could have built up in the first 500 miles on the car....
Old 03-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
Wrong, nissan upgraded the rotors because nissan upgraded the weight. The softness of metal actually affects the so called warping you speak of. The rotors do not physically warp, but rather pick up deposits of pad material that are marginally raised over the actual surface of the rotor. These raised sections cause the pads to ride over them and consequently cause the pulsation of which you speak. I had my 2k1 for 40000 miles and not a whip of the "warping". Its all about how you drive. If you brake hard without first trail braking, the nissan rotors will "warp" because the metal compound is so soft. Trust me, I have studied this forever on many different applications. Its always the same thing. Japanese cars, for some reason, like to use soft metal in their brakes. I guess because they contribute to a smooth feel and low noise.

Powerslots are a much harder metal, and zinc plated. not to mention they are slotted. The extra cooling and harder metal both contribute to the fact that they will not transfer any pad material. Especially if you use full metal pads (hawk HP+ and HPS). The only issue is noise, which I am working on
I am definitely interested in this research, however haven't others had issues with Powerslots warping as well?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:25 PM

well, I guess we'll see what happens.....

if true warping is not the problem, why did my cousin have to have the rotors on his 2k1 turned only 2 weeks after he bought it (new) because they were pulsating upon braking. After Nissan turned them under warranty, problem was solved. I can't see how that much "brake residue" could have built up in the first 500 miles on the car....
Maybe the pads weren't bedded properly?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:27 PM
Wat

thats most likely the cause.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Funny. I've driven the living crap out of my 3-gen stock brakes and they never even hinted at warping.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:34 PM

E55AMG2, do you have any links handy that tell us more detail about Japanese rotors and the presence of this problem on other vehicles?

Another thing I keep in mind, somewhere in the BlehmCo threads someone mentioned that 2k4s don't yet have any known problems with warped rotors... this is a vague piece of evidence which supports my decision to try the BlehmCo kit. I have not investigated this for truth.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:02 AM

It really doesn't help that they've used the same single piston caliper design that they have for the past 10 yrs, yet the weight of the car keeps getting heavier and heavier. From the featherweight 2900 lbs of the 95 max to the hulking 3300 lbs of the 5th gens. Simply put, a bigger rotor may allieviate the problem a bit by having more surface area to dissapate heat, but the tiny azz contact area between the pad and the rotor results in more heat build up in a small spot. There are more pounds per square inch, and therefore friction and heat per square inch than the design can handle. Everytime you stop after hard braking there's probably a seething hot ring of hot metal in the middle of your rotor surrounded by colder metal. Personally, I noticed my 2k2 rotors had already rusted up in the lot when I bought the car, and only got worse as time went on. The only solution as I see it is more pistons, more surface area on both pad and rotor, and inevitably... buying a big brake kit :/
Old 03-25-2004, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2

Why did Nissan upgrade the rotors for the 2k2 and 2k3 by making them thicker and larger if the problem was pad material collecting on the rotor? Why do the rotors look insanely clean if they are "pick[ing] up deposits of pad material that are marginally raised over the actual surface of the rotor." If the rotors are so soft, why is the only reason we are getting these cut is because they are "warped". For those that have not had "warping" problems wouldn't they need to still replace they rotors often if they were soft (which has not been a problem that I know of)? Does the deposits on the rotor explain why my rotors are extremely hot after a 15minute drive through the city?

Exactly what scientfic material are you basing all this information off of?
Old 03-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Why did Nissan upgrade the rotors for the 2k2 and 2k3 by making them thicker and larger if the problem was pad material collecting on the rotor? Why do the rotors look insanely clean if they are "pick[ing] up deposits of pad material that are marginally raised over the actual surface of the rotor." If the rotors are so soft, why is the only reason we are getting these cut is because they are "warped". For those that have not had "warping" problems wouldn't they need to still replace they rotors often if they were soft (which has not been a problem that I know of)? Does the deposits on the rotor explain why my rotors are extremely hot after a 15minute drive through the city?

Exactly what scientfic material are you basing all this information off of?
Pad material transfer to the rotor IS likely the primary reason for our rotors "warping". Why they do this has more to do with HEAT than anything else, and I must admit I've never heard the notion that rotor "softness" influences pad material transfer. So I am a little confused by E55AMG2's post.

Here's the site explaining all of this: http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm
Old 03-25-2004, 07:16 AM

I guess the idea is, if the rotor heats up enough under heavy braking, the brake pad material starts to melt and stick to the rotor. The goal, therefore, is to keep the rotor temperature down, and to attack the problem on another front, buy pads which can withstand higher temperatures.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:51 AM

I guess the idea is, if the rotor heats up enough under heavy braking, the brake pad material starts to melt and stick to the rotor. The goal, therefore, is to keep the rotor temperature down, and to attack the problem on another front, buy pads which can withstand higher temperatures.
Or buy rotors that are large enough to dissipate the heat.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lumbee1
Or buy rotors that are large enough to dissipate the heat.
Right, hence what I meant when I said "keep rotor temperature down."
Old 03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
retired moderator

The bottom line is the the 5th gen OEM rotors are too small for the weight of the car....look at other 3300 lb "performace sedans", most of them have larger rotors.

Now I am not an especially hard braker, not to mention I downshift into stops to some extent, so whether it be pad residue, warping, whatever - I am betting it has something to do with the size of the rotor as well.

Hey even if the 2k4s don't work any better, I don't feel bad having spent only 300 bucks to try something out - especially because they will at least LOOK better than the mini-rotors that are OEM...
Old 03-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dude. Don't worry about it. This mod WILL provide better braking (though the increased torque arm effect) and it WILL greatly decrease (or eliminate) your warping rotor issues.

There is a very good reason Nissan upgraded their brakes on the 2k4 maximas.

The maxima was ALWAYS the biggest Nissan sedan to still use the 1 pot calipers. The heavier Q45 and 300zxs all used either the aluminum or steel 4 pot calipers.

The bottom line is the the 5th gen OEM rotors are too small for the weight of the car....look at other 3300 lb "performace sedans", most of them have larger rotors.

Now I am not an especially hard braker, not to mention I downshift into stops to some extent, so whether it be pad residue, warping, whatever - I am betting it has something to do with the size of the rotor as well.

Hey even if the 2k4s don't work any better, I don't feel bad having spent only 300 bucks to try something out - especially because they will at least LOOK better than the mini-rotors that are OEM...
Old 03-25-2004, 02:12 PM

same here if this kit puts out good results with you guys i will be ordering one as soon as irs gives me my return.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:34 PM

When I bougth 2002 SE after selling my 2000 SE the first thing I noticed was that brakes
performed much better. Car stopped much better and with more confidence.
I think 2002-2003 Maxima got sligtly larger rotors compared to 2000-2001 Maximas.
So installing 2004 rotors, you might see some gains in braking.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:45 PM

Yeah, 2k2-2k3 has slightly bigger rotors I believe...

I am going into this mod under the assumption that 2k4 rotors will help relieve, if not completely SOLVE, the issue of "warped rotors", specifically with respect to pad material transfer. I plan on putting a decent set of pads (thinking about Axxis MetalMaster, how are they? the Axxis website seemed to imply the MetalMasters hold up well in high heat conditions...)
Old 03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Wat

yes, they do. The problem wasnt so much the size of the rotor as it is the thickness. A mercedes E320 is about the same wt as the max, but the rotors are considerably thicker all around. I understand that the mercedes is RWD and that is why the rears are thicker and vented, but the fronts are sig thicker than the maximas.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Gotcha. The 2k4 rotors are both larger (radius) and thicker (by 2-4mm?)
Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM
retired moderator

us DC-area guys like me and spirilis need the big brakes....we do alot of stopandgostopandgostopandgostopandgostopandgostopa ndgostopandgostopandgostopandgostopandgostopandgos topandgostopandgostopandgostopandgostopandgo....in the pathetic traffic jams around here.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by Y2k Max Luv
I just talked to DaveB today to get a tracking number for my 04 rotors. I think the price was $184.xx shipped.
I lied it was $83.xx a piece and $177.xx shipped.