5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Review of maxima that mentions the .org

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 04:15 PM
retired moderator

Review of maxima that mentions the .org

Came across this accidentally last night when looking for something not at all related to the maxima....anyhow, interesting review, and it mentions maxima.org! I think this is part of some other nissan forum type page or fansite called freshalloy.com. Note the part I highlighted...lol!

Three months and almost three thousand miles. That’s how long we’ve had our Maxima GLE. In that very short time span the Max has seen a relatively tranquil life, only leaving the Coachella Valley (aka Palm Springs area) one time for a fairly easy trip to San Diego. That trip, it turns out, appears to be the catalyst for most of the annoying problems we’ve had involving the Maxima.

But before that trip, the Maxima had us completely satisfied. We had just completed the 1000 mile-long break-in period and were quite enjoying the power this family sedan has. And we can say with a giant grin that the local wannabe racers didn’t quite enjoy our Maxima’s power as much as we did.

Not that we’re condoning that sort of thing, or even saying we broke any laws as we believe we didn’t. But even when we aren’t introducing the locals to the power of a 3.5L Maxima, this car has an interesting ability to stroke one’s soul. Whether it be swiftly pulling away from a stoplight or just mashing the go-pedal for the hell of it, we’re reminded why we like Nissans instead of your average Toyota or Honda.

Our first real attempt at getting the Max out on the freeway came towards the end of May when our editor and two of his family members packed up and headed to San Diego to escape the heat for a day. As expected, the Max performed very admirably. At freeway speeds it’s very smooth yet stable. And unlike a rented Ford Focus our editor had the chance to take on the freeway at a later date, the Max has gobs of smooth power, not just a screaming engine with little actual acceleration. It’s here where we realize how good the Maxima does as a long-distance cruiser. It’s smooth, stable yet comfortable, has more than enough power to do what you want it to, and has the creature comforts in-cabin to satisfy those passengers with short attention spans. With the 6-disc CD changer at disposal, you can program around 5-6 hours of musical entertainment. If you’d rather listen to the airwaves, you can tap the RDS program which can search for certain genres of radio stations and tell you what the station name is. In some cases, it can even tell you what the song playing is. For the passengers, this could be an interesting feature with which to pass the time, but we can see how it may distract the driver. We also appreciated the feature that allows the radio to scan the band for the strongest signals, filtering out the ones that are perhaps a bit too far away and static-filled.

But the trip wasn’t all good. In fact, its ramifications can still be heard by our editors today. Literally. It seems that the fairly tame Riverside and San Diego County freeway systems were a bit too much for our Maxima’s interior build quality. Arriving back home after the trip, we realized two or three new rattling noises coming from different areas around the car. One sounds as if it’s coming from the sunroof cover and the other seems to be around the driver’s door area. Since then, things have only gotten worse with even slight bass from the Bose system triggering an orchestra of buzzes and rattles mostly from the headliner. We’d expect, and have, rattles coming from the decklid where the subwoofer is; but this is too much for a car that doesn’t even have three thousand miles on the odometer! It sounds basically as bad as our outgoing ‘99 Pathfinder that had somewhere around 30,000 miles. It’s experiences like this that make us understand why Nissan is slipping in quality surveys.

Another quality complaint we have with the Maxima involves the plastic sunroof deflector that came optional on our GLE for an M.S.R.P. of $69.00. Not too long after we bought the car, we noticed a bunch of vertical cracks all along the bottom of it. We’ve looked for similar problems with the 2002 Maxima owners on Maxima.org and have come to find out that this is a somewhat widespread problem.

Thankfully, it appears our local dealer will replace this on Nissan’s dime. They’ve ordered a replacement but it’s already been a few days since they were supposed to notify us upon its arrival, and still no word. In the end, we think it is just plain ridiculous that a $70 option would break within about a month of buying it. Nissan should fix this.

To wrap this update, we still like our 2002 Maxima GLE quite a bit. Everything from the way it handles to the way it pours on the power is buttery smooth. But the constant rattling in our ears not only seems out of place considering the way this car behaves, but also depresses us as owners. Still, this car just has the power when you need it to wipe away the bad taste and replace it with a giant grin. But we wonder how people who don’t really care about performance would feel about their new car, with only 3k on the clock, rattling as if it has at least 10 times that many miles.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:35 PM

yup that sums it up pretty much...nissan sucks....but thank god they make such lovable cars like the maxima....i wonder if our jdm counterparts recieve similar problems whether its a gtr or a cefiro...or maybe its just a "maxima" issue....we are def the red headed step child of this family...but i honestly couldnt picture drivin any other car
Old 03-24-2004, 06:57 PM
retired moderator

rattles? I always have the stereo too loud to hear em!
Old 03-24-2004, 08:16 PM

so if I remove my sunroof deflector, I would get mad wind noise with the sunroof slid all the way back while driving?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have that same annoying noise from somewhere around my sliding sunroof cover. Anyone hunted this one down?

Great story. Thanks for posting Irish.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:04 AM

That's a new one, I haven't heard mine rattling on the moonroof. It's still good, no cracks or rattles. I can see what that editor is talking about driving in the CA freeway especially with the SE suspension aren't very forgiving, very bouncy like a basketball. That certainly probably shake the car to set something to rattle.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:10 AM

Its nice to be recognized. Thanks for sharing with us. :-)
Old 03-25-2004, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
so true

but yea, the rattles get to you....
Old 03-25-2004, 03:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

check out freshalloy.com. that is where they have a couple more reviews along with other nissan project cars and reviews.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by housecor
I have that same annoying noise from somewhere around my sliding sunroof cover. Anyone hunted this one down?

Great story. Thanks for posting Irish.

I got that same rattle, if you push up on the ceiling just behind the passenger seat it stops, I wonder what it is, is it possible a pebble could have gotten in there? It seems worse if the sunroof is half open.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Word! My wife tells me that our 93 sentra squeeks and complains, but how would I know? I can never hear myself breath when I drive
Old 03-25-2004, 06:41 AM

I get the sunroof rattle in my Ford built 2002 Quest SE, but not in my Maxima. Usually my ghetto repair (read: bang on headliner) does the trick temporarily. NOTE: This also seemed to be a problem on 2G Acura TLs and CLs.

However, I do have a dashboard "buzz" and I've heard of this sunroof wind deflector crack problem before. Both problems are ones that I can live with and dont detract much from the car.

However the dealer service feedback (or lack thereof, as indicated in the article AND my experience) bothers me way more than the car's small issues.

$.02
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 AM

My '03 SE (loaded 'cept nav) doesn't rattle at all. Best car I've ever owned.

decent handling but not so good as to hurt the ride (good balance of comfort v handling, there's always a trade-off)
Great power.
Great comfort.
Looks good.
Hate the HIDs, don't need 'em and it's just a theft magnet for civic kiddies and ricers. HIDs are a stupid fad IMHO. I equate these to clear tails, it's a kiddie mod.
Been very reliable so far.

Anone that gets that big honkin wind deflector on the sun roof deserves cracks and rattles J/K!!

Seriously though, I've owned a lot of cars, and my max is the best by far. I still own a very sporty car, that thing is a rattle bucket with the stiff suspension, drives me nuts except when I'm in the twisties.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:56 AM

well put
partical = Yes
fun to drive = Yes
smooth = NO
VQ power = pricesless
Old 03-25-2004, 01:57 PM
retired moderator

sunroof noise - no way, my roof rack is making even more noise, but shields the wind from the sunroof!

But, to eliminate the noise, you can shim the sunroof to make it sit flush - I believe someone has directions on their website...
Old 03-25-2004, 04:26 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Even with my 2 12s on full bass and with the amp turned up, the only rattle I get is from the decklid. At 45K miles the interior is still tomb quiet except for that dang wind noise from the left rear (the TSB is worthless.)