5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k2 6speed SE (with hlsd) alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2k2 6speed SE (with hlsd) alignment

hi all,

Just got a set of michelin pilot sport a/s for the stock 17 rims. love the tires, but the alignment is off. i have taken the car back several times and either the alignment is off, or the steering wheel is crooked.

To my knowledge, there are no different alignment specs for the HLSD versus the non-HLSD versions of the car. is this correct? I know that torque steer is inherent in all front wheel cars to some degree, but this is ridiculous. This has been the second, third, ... sixth alignments to the car and it has never been wrecked, abused, talked dirty too.

Any suggestions of who to see in the Pcola, florida area? Also, for those of you running factory rims and spec tires, have you made any alignment changes that have helped handling, etc?

thanks in advance for the assist.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:49 PM
VQ Wizard

I am working with my alignment right now and hope to have it solved soon. But I haven't taken it to a shop with the alignment equipment. I am just going to use the toe plates to set mine tomorrow and I hope that will be the end of the toe problem.

Does yours pull to the right?
Old 03-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I installed Pilot Sports also and had the tires clibrated and the wheels aligned, shortly after, it started pulling to the right. It don't bother me much though.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where did you guys get your Pilots from? I bought mine from Tire Rack about 2 years ago, when my car was new. When I picked the car up late on a Friday from there certified installer, they said no problems. As I drove away in 25mph zone the car seemed wierd. When i got it up to 55, the car was straining, fighting me (not just pullig) to get off the road to the right. Everytime I tapped the gas, I had to estimate where the front of the car would end up pointing.

I thought it was my imagination so I kept testing it. By the time I took it back to the installer, they were closed up for the weekend. Monday morning, I start raising kane with the installer...then TireRack who says that I should go back to the installer and have them rotate the tires until the right front to the right rear. If that fixes the pull, then the tire that was on the right front is bad and they will replace it free. I took it to a different installer, since the one they certified showed no concern for my safety. Long story short, turns out that 3 out of four tires were bad. I don't know if mine came from a bad batch or what.

Tire Rack took care of the additional install costs, but it just showed me the value of buying my tires locally. By the time I paid for shipping and all the hassels of waiting on one replacement tire after another...definitely not worth it.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car was pulling to the right, especially when getting on it in second gear. The mech agreed after it almost put him in a ditch. I am going to a different shop today to see what they can do. I would like the alignment and the steering wheel to match -- something about appearance and doing the job correctly ;-)

I have not gotten any tow plates yet, nor have I added a camber boltyet. That may be the next thing. The alignment is in, checked the specs, but now the steering wheel is off by about 10 degrees. Does anyone take pride in their work anymore?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:52 AM
VQ Wizard

So that is three of us with 6 speed HLSD cars pulling to the right... hmmm....

Also, mine does not appear to be wearing the tires abnormally, as if the toe was already correct.