5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

NISMO 3.5 air intake, just spoke with Nissan Tech

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:02 AM

NISMO 3.5 air intake, just spoke with Nissan Tech

Just got off the phone with the Nissan tech and we talked about fitment of the 3.5 NISMO intake. He said the intake will be a direct fit at the trottle body, also at the MAFS.No modification what-so-ever.... He said the mounting "clips" or "straps" will have to be modified to fit the engine bay of the Maxima.

Dyno test yeilded 5.5 HP to the wheels,( also looked this info up on the Niissan web site and he was right) .....

He said many customers who had this installed on the Altima where very happy with the gains.He installed a handfull he said , and all his customers said they get a power rush from mid-to high end. Me , personally, that is the power punch i want, lord knows the Maxima has plenty of low end grunt, but could do a little better up top, especailly the auto Maxima's.

I think for $310 is worth the price to play...

I plan on getting mine at the end of this month. I will take pictures of install if need be, or if somebody beats me to it.

Also this Intake does not void warranty. I am still debating wether i should let this tech install it just incase something screws up, Nissan *** would be on the line, or should i just go ahead and do it?

I figure if worse case senario, i would have to install my stock air box back and sell the NISMO air intake to a Altima owner.
Old 04-01-2004, 11:16 AM
Cletus

its cool that it will fit
but....
no way did it give 5.5 hp to the wheel!!!!
its the same as Injen, just has the "Nismo" name
Old 04-01-2004, 11:19 AM
Horra!!

do a baseline, get the intake and do an after dyno. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:40 AM

it will definately make the car lighter (i mean your wallet)
Old 04-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

doin a dyno for an intake is such a waste...you guys act like ppl have money growin out their a$$...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gooey
doin a dyno for an intake is such a waste...you guys act like ppl have money growin out their a$$...

Well a buddy of mine owes me a favor , i will see if he can give me a break. Also those numbers are dyno tested. The same intake gave the 350Z 9 RWHP. Lets see.......
Old 04-01-2004, 12:01 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Are you nuts? $310 for an intake? Get a berk or frankencar for 1/2 the price and get the same gains. All you are paying for is the pretty NISMO sticker!

Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
its cool that it will fit
but....
no way did it give 5.5 hp to the wheel!!!!
its the same as Injen, just has the "Nismo" name

Where did you get your facts from? Are you positive about that? I would like to see some documentation that there the same.Not flaming you but i like the hard facts.

They may look the same , but highly doubt there the same, In looks i agree because of where both of the intake piping has to be shaped for the Maxima, but i think the similarities end there.....
Old 04-01-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
Are you nuts? $310 for an intake? Get a berk or frankencar for 1/2 the price and get the same gains. All you are paying for is the pretty NISMO sticker!

People who have these intakes , Berk and Frankencar, aren't they blowing there MAFS frequently? If i am wrong please correct me and tell me diffrently...
Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

since it doesn't void the warranty...so if MAF goes bad time after time again...Nissan will replace it right?
lol
Old 04-01-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by BioMaxDDS
since it doesn't void the warranty...so if MAF goes bad time after time again...Nissan will replace it right?
lol

I never asked him that, that if it blows the MAFS, but if it does i am assuming the warranty will cover it. But it sucks they have to install it for you in order for your engine to be covered by the warranty. You install it , something happens, you forking out cash to fix your ride.

Its very iffy.... i have about 5k left on warranty so i am debating.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:14 PM

How is this any worse than basically anything $tealin sells? You mean to tell me their RSB is really worth double the cost or more of any other brand?

Personally, I can't wait to see how Rafe comes out with this. If it fits right, doesnt void the warranty and is approved by Nissan I'll gladly pay $310.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by LloydBanks
How is this any worse than basically anything $tealin sells? You mean to tell me their RSB is really worth double the cost or more of any other brand?

Personally, I can't wait to see how Rafe comes out with this. If it fits right, doesnt void the warranty and is approved by Nissan I'll gladly pay $310.

Just found out dissapointing news....i just called a local speed shop(Racing Zone) in the area owned by Japanese guys and i spoke to Tommy, who is very familiar with Nissan cars. He owns a 350Z and a Sentra SE-R Vspec. He told me strait up that NISMO intakes are made by AEM for this country. NISMO pays AEM to sell there intakes under the NISMO name.

His 350Z made 10 RWHP with a INJEN intake, 2RWHP with a NISMO intake.
His SE-R made 6.5 WHP with a Injen intake and 3WHP with the NISMO intake .

He just dynoed a guys Maxima ,02' with a Injen and it made 8 WHP.

He told me to stay away from anything regarding performance parts that bear the name NISMO in this country because usually it is manufactured by someone else.

Its good to always get a second opinion.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rafe
Just found out dissapointing news....i just called a local speed shop(Racing Zone) in the area owned by Japanese guys and i spoke to Tommy, who is very familiar with Nissan cars. He owns a 350Z and a Sentra SE-R Vspec. He told me strait up that NISMO intakes are made by AEM for this country. NISMO pays AEM to sell there intakes under the NISMO name.

He told me to stay away from anything regarding performance parts that bear the name NISMO in this country because usually it is manufactured by someone else.

Wow, well there you have it. Back to the old Injen vs. Place Racing debate I guess. But my question about $tealin prices still stands.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gooey
May be some of these guys DO have $ growin out their a$$es. Im still trying to justify paying $250 for a PR, which is probably better (Quality and Preformance) than this "NISMO" intake.

If I need warrantee work Ill just put the stock box back on.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by LloydBanks
Wow, well there you have it. Back to the old Injen vs. Place Racing debate I guess. But my question about $tealin prices still stands.

Your not kidding, well better to do some researh then impulse buying the intake and getting shafted!
Old 04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Cletus

so i was right?
and im sorry. the injen by itself wont give 8 WHP either people. it increases flow of cooler (not cold) air, its not a miracle worker!!! explain to me how allowing (not forcing) better flow of cooler air will increase HP that much at the wheel? its imposible, dont believe the hipe.
if you have the best flow possible of the coolest air possible - you will see a 2-3 WHP gain MAX
Old 04-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Dont people have these things dynoed? Maybe the gains are advertised in conjunction with other mods, but hey, if I can gain 8whp over a y-pipe Im game.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Cletus

and you heard it here first
all intakes are created about equal as far as performance gains.
even the best one is only SLIGHTLY better then stock.
stock baseline HP (FLYWHEEL)
GAB + .5 - 1 over stock
WAI (stillen etc) + 1 - 1.5 over stock
CAI (injen etc) 1.25 - 1.75
when that gets to the wheels it means NOTHING.

i do agree an intake improves sound and looks better, that bout it
Old 04-01-2004, 01:44 PM
The Definitive AE Master

geez, $310 for a intake that gives 5 hp is not worth it just so you can keep the warranty. How hard would it be to throw the stock box back in in the event that something happened.

Comparison purposes
Nismo intake: 1 hp = $62 ($310 @ 5 hp)
Hotshot Headers 1hp = $30 ($600 @ 20 hp)
Old 04-01-2004, 01:50 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

People who have these intakes , Berk and Frankencar, aren't they blowing there MAFS frequently? If i am wrong please correct me and tell me diffrently...

You are wrong. The whole 02 MAF problem is because the filters came HEAVILY oiled and that is what is causing the MAFs to blow. WHen i got mine, i cleaned it a put VERY little oil on it...12K miles and counting...ZERO problems. and as for 3WHP dont listen to people who dont know what they are talking about...

http://www.frankencar.com/intakes/projects/02max/

intakes make power...get one.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Cletus

You are wrong. The whole 02 MAF problem is because the filters came HEAVILY oiled and that is what is causing the MAFs to blow. WHen i got mine, i cleaned it a put VERY little oil on it...12K miles and counting...ZERO problems. and as for 3WHP dont listen to people who dont know what they are talking about...

http://www.frankencar.com/intakes/projects/02max/

intakes make power...get one.
my GAB makes power

so you are going to believe the manufacture numbers?? come on now
like the 01 AE had more horsepower then non AE?
like the 02/03 had 255 when we all know they dont?

dyno on an intake is stupid. the car is sitting still and not getting the air that you would when moving negating the improved air flow of intake.
you would need a wind tunnel for real numbers
Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

my GAB makes power

so you are going to believe the manufacture numbers?? come on now
like the 01 AE had more horsepower then non AE?
like the 02/03 had 255 when we all know they dont?

dyno on an intake is stupid. the car is sitting still and not getting the air that you would when moving negating the improved air flow of intake.
you would need a wind tunnel for real numbers
you have a 3.0 when you grow up let me know. Oh, and arent you JTTALYOR or whatever who was banned? let the big boys talk..

Old 04-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Cletus

you have a 3.0 when you grow up let me know. Oh, and arent you JTTALYOR or whatever who was banned? let the big boys talk..
here we go
i forgot im not allowed to disagree with the self-proclaimed "god of maximas"
what was i thinking?
and did i miss the memo that people with 3.0s were inferior and are not allowed to talk in here.

i stand by what i said, intakes do not increase HP that much
Old 04-01-2004, 02:36 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

here we go
i forgot im not allowed to disagree with the self-proclaimed "god of maximas"
what was i thinking?
and did i miss the memo that people with 3.0s were inferior and are not allowed to talk in here.

i stand by what i said, intakes do not increase HP that much
Never said i was a god..damn close though...what is not much? i have seen numerous dynos of 8-12 WHP? not much? 3.0 can talk...just not talk $hit..they know where they stand...about a sec behind in the 1/4

Old 04-01-2004, 02:37 PM

OK, let's all get this straight. The MAF sensor failing is associated most of the time with the Oil on the filters, I agree. How can you explain the MAFs blowing with the Frankencar and Apexi filters, sorry you can't use the oil argument here. Bottom line 2k2-2k3 MAFs suck, and alot of the guys are using the 2k-2k1 MAFs. As far as the difference what an intake makes whether its a 3.0 or 3.5 is a moot point, the fastest 3.5s use the GAB mod, sooner has you there....

Your turn, I know Teins rule and you have an SE-R, I don't care I have an SE-R too and will soon have all the mods you have including Cams and turbo and even the Nismo FPR. Let's keep this civil and just about intakes....
Old 04-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Cletus

Never said i was a god..damn close though...what is not much? i have seen numerous dynos of 8-12 WHP? not much? 3.0 can talk...just not talk $hit..they know where they stand...about a sec behind in the 1/4
i never talked ****
i simply said intakes dont improve performance as much as people say.
8-12 WHP?? HA HA HA not by itself. no way in hell!!

here we go with the "im better cause i spend more money and i have a 3.5" all i hear is "blah blah blah i need a fast car to be a man. it makes me feel better to talk down to people"
Old 04-01-2004, 02:49 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
OK, let's all get this straight. The MAF sensor failing is associated most of the time with the Oil on the filters, I agree. How can you explain the MAFs blowing with the Frankencar and Apexi filters, sorry you can't use the oil argument here. Bottom line 2k2-2k3 MAFs suck, and alot of the guys are using the 2k-2k1 MAFs. As far as the difference what an intake makes whether its a 3.0 or 3.5 is a moot point, the fastest 3.5s use the GAB mod, sooner has you there....

Your turn, I know Teins rule and you have an SE-R, I don't care I have an SE-R too and will soon have all the mods you have including Cams and turbo and even the Nismo FPR. Let's keep this civil and just about intakes....
WTF are you talking about? I explained it. RIF is your friend...

stop bring up old $hilt and get over it...i was you brought up the fact they u and soonerfan are I am so happy for you guys!

Old 04-01-2004, 02:51 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

i never talked ****
i simply said intakes dont improve performance as much as people say.
8-12 WHP?? HA HA HA not by itself. no way in hell!!

here we go with the "im better cause i spend more money and i have a 3.5" all i hear is "blah blah blah i need a fast car to be a man. it makes me feel better to talk down to people"
look at the dynos...god i dont know why i unblocked an uneducated idiot.... dammit heath!!!!

Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM

WTF are you talking about? I explained it. RIF is your friend...

stop bring up old $hilt and get over it...i was you brought up the fact they u and soonerfan are I am so happy for you guys!
Get over what? That you bring no factual basis to your arguments and that I am right on the MAF issue? Rob let's get real here, your SE-R arguments are weak, you have all bolt-ons. Who cares, so do I with the exception of cams(soon to have).....

Intakes aren't the big deal you make them out to be and if you think you are getting 12fwhp out of your intake, show me where to sign up the stuff you are smoking. B/C it creates some good hallucinations. Stop going to the and bring some good points and yes we know you are king SE-R and no one has one that is faster and no one knows more than you....

***** in your court sparky.........
Old 04-01-2004, 02:55 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

if an intake claims 12 at the crank its goin to be around 9 at the wheel... soonerfan , u act like tranfsering power to the wheel is like losing 75 % of ur crank....
i think its 18%-20%

and i dont know a thing about cars... haha
but intakes do make more power that you think
Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2PhatMax
if an intake claims 12 at the crank its goin to be around 9 at the wheel... soonerfan , u act like tranfsering power to the wheel is like losing 75 % of ur crank....
i think its 18%-20%

Drivetrain lose depends on tranny type and the effectiveness of the intake can be increased or decreased on a dyno. Remember when a car dynos, many factors go into play, type of gas, whether or not they used a fan, condition of the car's maintenance....

So intakes are good upgrades but not the big thing everyone makes them out to be. They help increase power but aren't gonna cause neck snapping power.....
Old 04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
Cletus

look at the dynos...god i dont know why i unblocked an uneducated idiot.... dammit heath!!!!
thats a manufacture dyno
yeah, block everyone you disagree with you will just see a bunch of blank threads
Old 04-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by 2k2PhatMax
i think its 18%-20%

that dont make as much as the manufacture claims. you all just believe them. puppets
for that matter NO mod is as good as they claim.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:22 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Get over what? That you bring no factual basis to your arguments and that I am right on the MAF issue? Rob let's get real here, your SE-R arguments are weak, you have all bolt-ons. Who cares, so do I with the exception of cams(soon to have).....

Intakes aren't the big deal you make them out to be and if you think you are getting 12fwhp out of your intake, show me where to sign up the stuff you are smoking. B/C it creates some good hallucinations. Stop going to the and bring some good points and yes we know you are king SE-R and no one has one that is faster and no one knows more than you....

***** in your court sparky.........
wow such a hater and non beliver...when ur ser is done let me know..happy to OWN people all DAY LONG.....

Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM

wow such a hater and non beliver...when ur ser is done let me know..happy to OWN people all DAY LONG.....
explain to me how your car with alot more miles is gonna out run a car with the exact mods and a low mileage JDM motor?.........
Old 04-01-2004, 03:28 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

explain to me how your car with alot more miles is gonna out run a car with the exact mods and a low mileage JDM motor?.........
dude dont start...u are please. i hate to flame but u leave me no choice...

Old 04-01-2004, 03:29 PM

dude dont start...u are please. i hate to flame but u leave me no choice...
Einstein you get laughed at when we are all together. So please explain to me how I am owned as you would say.......
Old 04-01-2004, 03:35 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Einstein you get laughed at when we are all together. So please explain to me how I am owned as you would say.......
im going big turbo..i m done... have fun with ur turbo

Old 04-01-2004, 03:38 PM

im going big turbo..i m done... have fun with ur turbo
t28 or t25 on SERs is what is used most of the time, Garretts mostly. Let me take a guess you are going with a big t88