5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$5 fix for Bose '02-'03 CD Player cutting out left side

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 04:15 AM

$5 fix for Bose '02-'03 CD Player cutting out left side

For some reason, I can't post pictures but here's the procedure. If someone wants to tell me how to post pics, I will.

I tried this with success a few days ago. My Max is out of warranty and they won't replace my BOSE even though its a known problem.

Step 1. With the CD player playing, adjust the balance of the speaker output to all the way left. If the music is very faint, then here's your fix.

Step 2. Make a fist with your right hand.

Step 3. Without delivering a crushing blow, BOP your dash firmly just to the right of your head unit where the RDS decal is.

You should immediately hear a change in the sound of your speakers.

Step 4. If the sound is only half strength or there is no change, try again. If you can't get any change after 4 good bops, be patient. Make sure the volume is turned up on your radio and bop again with a little more force.

Step 5. If speaker output on the left side has returned to normal, return the balance of your speaker output to center or "0".

Step 6. Paypal me $5.

I have found that sometimes my CD player will cut out on the left side after I switch disks internally from one to the other.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your dash, radio, fist, wristwatch, jewelry, or ego.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i do that when my MAF sensor goes Ka-put.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by ablythe

Step 6. Paypal me $5.

Nice
Old 04-08-2004, 07:28 AM

dude... that's F***ED UP !!! I just had mine replaced....
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Well...

If this actually is a short term solution...and I seem to remember that some of the original symptoms happened over large jolts to the car...I am betting they use some kind of daughter board in the head unit and its getting josseled loose. Either that or some really crappy soldering and the joints are fracturing.

I would be curious to investigate this with someone in my area, should you have that problem.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Colonel
If this actually is a short term solution...and I seem to remember that some of the original symptoms happened over large jolts to the car...I am betting they use some kind of daughter board in the head unit and its getting josseled loose. Either that or some really crappy soldering and the joints are fracturing.

I would be curious to investigate this with someone in my area, should you have that problem.
There is a thread...it might even be in the 5th gen FAQ...which talks about the cause of the Bose problems. The member who wrote the thread claimed to have spoken directly to Bose tech support to find out what the source of the problem was. I don't remember specifics but it had something to do with some of the wires being connected to the head unit at a 90 degree angle. Large bumps cause the connection to come and go which is why the problem is intermittent.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I think I bopped my HU enough. Stupid does not play CDs anymore. So, I'm getting rid of the stupid thing and going aftermarket. Good riddance Bose HU.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by s_hinerman
Nice

Well, if this procedure benefits you and you feel so overwhelmingly grateful as a result of it, I will accept any and all donations.

Notice, that I didn't leave my paypal name to actually send me money because I figured no one would.

Old 04-10-2004, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ablythe
For some reason, I can't post pictures but here's the procedure. If someone wants to tell me how to post pics, I will.

I tried this with success a few days ago. My Max is out of warranty and they won't replace my BOSE even though its a known problem.

Step 1. With the CD player playing, adjust the balance of the speaker output to all the way left. If the music is very faint, then here's your fix.

Step 2. Make a fist with your right hand.

Step 3. Without delivering a crushing blow, BOP your dash firmly just to the right of your head unit where the RDS decal is.

You should immediately hear a change in the sound of your speakers.

Step 4. If the sound is only half strength or there is no change, try again. If you can't get any change after 4 good bops, be patient. Make sure the volume is turned up on your radio and bop again with a little more force.

Step 5. If speaker output on the left side has returned to normal, return the balance of your speaker output to center or "0".

Step 6. Paypal me $5.

I have found that sometimes my CD player will cut out on the left side after I switch disks internally from one to the other.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your dash, radio, fist, wristwatch, jewelry, or ego.
that'll hold til you hit your first speed bump. hitting bumps and banging on the cd player is what jarred the wire loose in the first place, causing the TSB. So, you paypal me $5 for getting my hopes up and wasting my time.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:20 PM

driving over bumps and potholes helps too...