5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Clearing HID after DataDot TSB

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 08:06 AM

Clearing HID after DataDot TSB

I've had the frosted piece from Tap Plastics sitting on my desk for well over a year now and I think I've finally got the stones to take my HIDs off and put them in the oven. (I think) The problem is...I had the DataDot TSB done as soon as I got the letter in the mail. Has anyone been able to remove their HIDs after having the TSB done?

I realize that this is a sensitive area considering what the DataDot TSB is for. I'm not looking for any specific information...just wondering whether I should even bother wasting a Saturday trying to do it if it's not going to be possible. If anyone has any pointers and can send me a PM I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

- D
Old 04-09-2004, 09:02 AM

bump for good question since I have the same problem
Old 04-09-2004, 09:35 AM

I think Polo took out rich's HID light housing with Data Dot.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:38 AM
NT2SHBBY

only feasible way to do it is to take the bumper off, since the lights are now secured to it via a metal bracket.

I cleared mine already and got the data dots afterward, but one of mine has some condensation in it and I've been wanting to seal it up again
but the data dots have put a dampening on it

Old 04-09-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
I cleared mine already and got the data dots afterward
In other words...unlike me you did it the smart way.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:34 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by D-Nyce
In other words...unlike me you did it the smart way.

sure, if you say so!

actually I hadn't planned on getting them at all. My tranny gave out and while I was there, I said "hey make it an eventful trip" and when the dealer asked me if I wanted the data dots done, I said sure why not...

I do like it and also regret it. I like it cuz its just another thing to make their theft harder to accomplish (and more time for me to load up on ammo ) but I dislike it because it prevents any easy method for me to remove them

eh....oh well

Old 04-09-2004, 10:45 AM

DataDot tsb

What is/and where can I find the DataDot tsb?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
I do like it and also regret it.
That about sums it up for me. I feel better knowing I did it but I swear the orange in the HID bothers me even more now than it used to because I know I probably can't get to it.

Originally Posted by mykmar10
What is/and where can I find the DataDot tsb?
It was only for East Coast owners in areas that were detemined to be high-risk...NY, NJ, Philly, DC areas. If you didn't get a letter in the mail you won't be able to get it done for free. You might be able to pay the dealership to do it for you but I see you live in Cali and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be an HID theft problem there.

FYI...this is what they do...

1) Put small stickers on the headlights and rear windows saying that the car has DataDots. (I declined this part.)

2) Add another bracket to each light that is much harder to get to.

3) Etch the VIN into the ballast to *supposedly* make it easier to track stolen HIDs.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am interested in an answer also. I am due to have the data dots
installed at the next sched service. Good ?
Old 04-09-2004, 11:09 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally Posted by transportchef
I am interested in an answer also. I am due to have the data dots
installed at the next sched service. Good ?

what answer are you lookin for??? I already addressed how they are installed

Old 04-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
I think Polo took out rich's HID light housing with Data Dot.
We (Polo, rich, playero and I) could not take out Rich's lights. There was simply to much work involved and was not worth the time.
Old 04-09-2004, 06:09 PM

1) Put small stickers on the headlights and rear windows saying that the car has DataDots. (I declined this part.)

3) Etch the VIN into the ballast to *supposedly* make it easier to track stolen HIDs.
Interesting. I had mine done for free as part of the purchase.
I don't see stickers and where. For all I know, they didn't do jack squat.

Any way to confirm the bracket install and the VIN etching?
Old 04-09-2004, 08:01 PM

Alright, it looks like I'm probably the only one around here who wasted time taking out the HIDs after the DataDots were done. If you are handy/know how to take off the bumper, do that. I didn't have a clue how to, and was afraid that once I got it off, I might not be able to put it back on properly.

Anyway, you'll have to get under the car, remove the splash shield (under the fogs). Look straight up, you'll see the black bracket to which the ballast is secured to. Now, that black bracket is secured to the headlights by 3 small silver screws. The first screw is on the far left of the headlight, the second is in the middle (there's a hole on the bracket, stick your screwdriver in there and you'll get to it) and the third is the hardest to get to. It's on the far right (near the grille) and you'll need a long screwdriver to get to it. Even doing that it's very hard, so if you can find a screwdriver that has a flexible, hose-like extension to get you into small places, use it.

You have to be patient, I spent like 5 hours just trying to get these 6 screws out (pathetic, I know!).
Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM

Hey guys - lets try to keep the how-to's on HID removal to a minimum, i know that i don't want anyone to steal my hids since i had the tsb done, and i'm sure guys don't either, so this very detailed description of how to get around the new bracket being on is a bit excessive IMHO.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2k3TEMaxSE
Hey guys - lets try to keep the how-to's on HID removal to a minimum, i know that i don't want anyone to steal my hids since i had the tsb done, and i'm sure guys don't either, so this very detailed description of how to get around the new bracket being on is a bit excessive IMHO.

Thief just rip the light out anyway, it has been all the time with or W/O the backets. they are not going to spend 6 hours messing around taking around a perfect light.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:50 AM

Exactly, no thief has the free time to go f'n around under the car to get these screws out. Not to mention, most of the time these things are being stolen for the HID ballasts/bulb. Getting those screws out will still make it impossible to remove the ballast from the car.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Sanduguero

That about sums it up for me. I feel better knowing I did it but I swear the orange in the HID bothers me even more now than it used to because I know I probably can't get to it.

It was only for East Coast owners in areas that were detemined to be high-risk...NY, NJ, Philly, DC areas. If you didn't get a letter in the mail you won't be able to get it done for free. You might be able to pay the dealership to do it for you but I see you live in Cali and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be an HID theft problem there.

Correction.... the letters were sent only to east coast owners but if you go to the dealer and tell them to perform the TSb they should be able to do them I ask them already...but you know how Nissan is so just try different dealers. I have CT plates and registration and they did the TSB...