5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 07:15 PM
2k1spdfrk

Ok guys, I am looking for a site that has aftermarket headers for the 2001 Max. Any?

Old 03-20-2001, 07:20 PM
Got Bent?

Other than a custom job....nobody makes aftermarket headers for the VQ engine.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:22 PM
2k1spdfrk

Originally posted by 2k1spdfrk
Ok guys, I am looking for a site that has aftermarket headers for the 2001 Max. Any?
Well, doesn't that figure, any idea how much custom ones may run, about?

Old 03-20-2001, 07:31 PM
Got Bent?

not sure, but I would guess maybe $2000 or so....making headers is no easy job....a lot of R&D is needed.....for that kind of money, go get a SC
Old 03-20-2001, 08:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=28923
Old 03-20-2001, 10:48 PM
2k1spdfrk

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
not sure, but I would guess maybe $2000 or so....making headers is no easy job....a lot of R&D is needed.....for that kind of money, go get a SC
Very good point, and yes that kind of cash would go to s/c.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:49 PM

too bad.. my friend has a prelude and his header cost him 300bucks only and gave him 18hp.. =( no header for max!!
james
Old 03-21-2001, 05:05 AM
Got Bent?

hehehe...what a coincidence
Old 03-21-2001, 05:47 AM

Header...

Hey guys, I dont want to sound arrogant, but It is one of the project my cousin & I have looked very closely, he's got all the machinery to bend pipe cut, grind whatever, the most difficult part is to have the exact measurement, what I though is to remove those original oem, and scan it through a 3D digitizer, then we will modelize the entire thing in either 3DS Studio Max or Form-Z, then export the file in STL ( stereolithography ) and have a urethane prototype done in a local shop. By having the digital prototype, it is going to be very precise. Ou first goal was to build a prototype that we will try on my car, for the finale unit we are still few months away cuz we plan to try it on summer time.

May sound crazy ! yes it is we are a bit crazy.

Dont forget everything is possible, make it happend.

Cheers

Doube A
Old 03-21-2001, 09:51 AM
2k1spdfrk

Re: Header...

Originally posted by doublea
Hey guys, I dont want to sound arrogant, but It is one of the project my cousin & I have looked very closely, he's got all the machinery to bend pipe cut, grind whatever, the most difficult part is to have the exact measurement, what I though is to remove those original oem, and scan it through a 3D digitizer, then we will modelize the entire thing in either 3DS Studio Max or Form-Z, then export the file in STL ( stereolithography ) and have a urethane prototype done in a local shop. By having the digital prototype, it is going to be very precise. Ou first goal was to build a prototype that we will try on my car, for the finale unit we are still few months away cuz we plan to try it on summer time.

Cheers And we all know that you will give all us Maxima, 5th gen, org guys a great deal when you can get these made. If it works, which from the sound of it you have a good plan. Good Luck

Doube A

Old 03-21-2001, 10:08 AM

Re: Header...

Originally posted by doublea

Cheers

Doube A
WOW!
Old 03-21-2001, 11:41 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good luck with the project doublea!
Old 03-21-2001, 12:23 PM

the guy thats partners with brian catts (cattman performance) is planning on making headers for us in a number of months...if i did it, he would want my car for a week or so and he would need the engine out of the car for that time. he would also charge me about $900 and once they are done they will charge everyone else about $1200...he claims about 25-30 hp addon...prices are so high because of the fact that they make it out of very good quality stainless steel
Old 03-21-2001, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by MrBurner
the guy thats partners with brian catts (cattman performance) is planning on making headers for us in a number of months...if i did it, he would want my car for a week or so and he would need the engine out of the car for that time. he would also charge me about $900 and once they are done they will charge everyone else about $1200...he claims about 25-30 hp addon...prices are so high because of the fact that they make it out of very good quality stainless steel
Pardon my incompetence, but why so much? 4cyl @ $300 I understand, only 1 header. Anything in a V is double, so maybe $600 which I've seen. Even $800 i can see but $1200 seems a bit much. Maybe its because not everyone and their sister is making it for our cars like Honda or VW. Your thoughts please..........
Old 03-21-2001, 12:51 PM

well for example...lets take stillen's y pipe vs. cattman's y pipe...we all know that stillen is overpriced and they charge $350 for their non stainless steel y pipe. cattman prices things reasonably considering the materials they use and their stainless (304) y pipe is $415...just a little bit more than an overpriced company...if we were to buy non stainless steel headers for our car, they would most likely cost around $600-800 as you said, but since these are stainless, they will last much longer and will not rust as non-stainless parts will...the only reason it is so expensive is because of the material it is made out of...i agree that it is pricy though, but those were just rough estimates of prices they gave me
Old 03-21-2001, 12:54 PM

well for example...lets take stillen's y pipe vs. cattman's y pipe...we all know that stillen is overpriced and they charge $350 for their non stainless steel y pipe. cattman prices things reasonably considering the materials they use and their stainless (304) y pipe is $415...just a little bit more than an overpriced company...if we were to buy non stainless steel headers for our car, they would most likely cost around $600-800 as you said, but since these are stainless, they will last much longer and will not rust as non-stainless parts will...the only reason it is so expensive is because of the material it is made out of...i agree that it is pricy though, but those were just rough estimates of prices they gave me
I see what u mean, guess we'll see soon enough. Thanx
Old 03-21-2001, 03:55 PM

Re, header.

Hi everyone, I just came back from work and hit the forum, J
what a group of enthousiast people, positive, creative and nice in bonus. The project about the header for the Max, is really something I though we could accomplished, having now access to this forum, the Internet open a lot of opportunity that wasn't possible 10 years ago. I dont under estimate the amount of work that will need to be done, but so far we are in the preparation. One of our challenge is to have a perfect fit in the car and not having to modify the car. We have to find a new way to build those and reduce the cost.

The idea started because of you guys, since I got a truck load of computer and softwares, the idea of making something
really in the major league.

Thanks for your comments and cheers to all of U.

Double A
Old 03-21-2001, 04:27 PM

Other than a custom job....nobody makes aftermarket headers for the VQ engine.
Don't the 99 pathfinders and qx4's have a vq engine? they make headers for those and they are about 499.00. I know they are different vehicles in the way the headers would sit and be bent, but they do make them for the 6 cyl engine. don't believe me go to

http://www.4x4parts.com

This is nissan only parts site, and you can see on thier parts list the headers they carry for those trucks.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:53 PM

I seem to have read somewhere that cost was not really the primary barrier to the design/production of headers for the Maxima. The problem is that the engine bay is so cramped, especially on the firewall side of the engine, that free-breathing headers won't fit. Headers that fit are nearly as restrictive, apparently, as the OEM exhaust manifolds. Has anyone heard that before? Oh well...
Old 03-21-2001, 06:41 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by otter'sMAX

Don't the 99 pathfinders and qx4's have a vq engine? they make headers for those and they are about 499.00. I know they are different vehicles in the way the headers would sit and be bent, but they do make them for the 6 cyl engine. don't believe me go to

http://www.4x4parts.com

This is nissan only parts site, and you can see on thier parts list the headers they carry for those trucks.
yeah...they have another version of the VQ engine. I didn't know that they had headers for the PF/Qx4 though....But in the maxima, the size of the engine and the engine bay make it difficult to make headers also. These trucks probably have a lot more room than we do
Old 03-21-2001, 06:43 PM

yeah...they have another version of the VQ engine. I didn't know that they had headers for the PF/Qx4 though....But in the maxima, the size of the engine and the engine bay make it difficult to make headers also. These trucks probably have a lot more room than we do
yeah i didn't figure it would fit, but they do make something that could possibly be a starting point. at least the mounting flange should be the same right?
Old 03-21-2001, 07:14 PM

well i hear that the stock headers that are on the max are built so good that an after market piece would only decrease the power unless it is "custom" as hell and used some high quality materials!!!! so think about that before you do anything....... i think that i heard that from stillen b/c i asked y they didnt have some....... oh well thats stillen though....... let me know if im wrong!!!
Old 03-21-2001, 07:49 PM

WILLSE stillen is ******** you...i rememeber hearing awhile back that our stock mufflers are so good and thats how we got all the extra hp from 4th gens and aftermarket mufflers don't help much...all bull...obviously from dyno testing on other mufflers...and our mufflers aren't as unique as you may think...even the new celica gts has the same concept

basically when someone says this to you, ask them to prove it...ask them if they have tested the aftermarket piece...chances are something aftermarket that is built well will not decrease performance
Old 03-21-2001, 08:35 PM

WILLSE stillen is ******** you...i rememeber hearing awhile back that our stock mufflers are so good and thats how we got all the extra hp from 4th gens and aftermarket mufflers don't help much...all bull...obviously from dyno testing on other mufflers...and our mufflers aren't as unique as you may think...even the new celica gts has the same concept

basically when someone says this to you, ask them to prove it...ask them if they have tested the aftermarket piece...chances are something aftermarket that is built well will not decrease performance
i was thinkin the same but hey i trust them b/c the have the name STILLEN oh well F**K them i have about every upgrade that i can get from them anyways other than the RSB and RSTB i might get those soon....... thanks for the reality check!!!!!