5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

glacier pearl white paint NEVER MATCHES

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 05:23 PM
Qmax03

glacier pearl white paint NEVER MATCHES

Hey fellas,

I need sum help i got a body kit for my car the car is glacier pearl white i got the kit put on and painted the guy could not match the paint, he said he got the paint # or what ever correct and right off the car and then i had it painted gain still not a match i know its a 3 stage color i got the car painted 3 times already and still the guy cant match it sum other guy couldnt either any tips on what i can tell the guy to do , so he could match it help please!

Old 04-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Places now scan your paint and can generate an exact match for you using computers. Other places will paint it according to paint codes, then install it onto your car, then blend/fade the paint in to match your car.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Places now scan your paint and can generate an exact match for you using computers. Other places will paint it according to paint codes, then install it onto your car, then blend/fade the paint in to match your car. The final option(cheapest) is to give a shop your paint code, they paint it and thats that.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Qmax03

the guy got the code roght off the car even if i give em the code it would be right off the car but no ones being able to match it i jsut dont get it

Old 04-25-2004, 05:51 PM

Like i said, the cheap way to do it is to give him the paint code off the car, but you have pearl paint...they need to perfectly match the paint and its easy to do. Pearl is hard to match because it is known to change/fade over time and they say that there are soo many shades and no two pearl cars are perfectly alike or something like that. Have them paint the kit, then install it. From there, any good shop will blend/fade the kit so that it matches with the rest of your car. Or, there are places that will scan the ACTUAL paint on your car, and with a computer, genterate the exact color. Using a paint code to paint a kit is something that will work with non-pearl paint cars.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i got into an accident and got mine painted at a dealership, they did a good job painting it, i dont know why tehy shouldnt match your paint, all they have to do is add some flakes, and the pearl coat, i live in jacksonville, NC and thats in middle of nowhere, if this place has the technology to paint a pearl paint, then i dont see how your paint shop coudlnt, you might want to look for other paint shops, maybe a dealership.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 AM

I'm 99% sure that unlike other colors, pearl white is a 3 step process. Did the guy you paid to do this follow the guidelines? I'm almost positive that there's actually 2 different paints used. A base color then after that dries, another paint to get the pearl effect.

My neighbor had his pearl white repainted after an accident. It looks good, the body shop matched it up really well so it can be done. They just need to follow manufacturer's guidlines on it because pearl is not your typical paint job. My neighbor mentioned the body guy was a bit leery but pulled it off.

I remember the 3 step process part because someone talked me out of that color because it is a more complicated paint to match.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:19 AM
scopium

pearl white maxes are really hard match...
you got to have the exact amount of pearl..
to this day i have not seen one body kit being painted the exact same color of a pearl white ..

and usually color display on urathane and metal are different...

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by scopium
pearl white maxes are really hard match...
you got to have the exact amount of pearl..
to this day i have not seen one body kit being painted the exact same color of a pearl white ..

and usually color display on urathane and metal are different...

ACtually, they can match pearl pretty well. www.M1autobody.com will blend the kit and your acutal body so that paint looks flush. Or they take your gas cap, match that color then paint the kit that way. Here is a picture of my friends pearl white Z, he just got his front lip painted, and paint matched up pretty well.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:42 AM

mine is at the body shop right now also getting a kit on. and i have a pearl white, i would tell the shop to blend it so it matches, that should work. BTW what kit is it?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by GeSeKeE19-
ACtually, they can match pearl pretty well. www.M1autobody.com will blend the kit and your acutal body so that paint looks flush. Or they take your gas cap, match that color then paint the kit that way. Here is a picture of my friends pearl white Z, he just got his front lip painted, and paint matched up pretty well.

you sure about M1?...thats where i had mine done when i had my kit and you can see the results for yourself...but the work they do is great...it took em 2 tries, which apparently never happens for them, and they still couldnt do it;
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/agandhi
Old 04-26-2004, 03:35 PM
VTEC This!

pearl white on a max is a *****, i dont think ive ever seen anyone get an after market body kit, and get it painted, and have it match perfectly. never. you just gotta deal with it if you have pearl white, not much else to tell you
Old 04-26-2004, 05:40 PM

I just had the entire back of my car done after getting rear ended and it matches perfectly. To spray the pieces and bolt them on will not work. You've got to paint the kit and then blend all the way around the car. My wing and rear tag insert were both reshot and match the deck lid and bumper perfectly. They blended all the way to the front of the roof and 1/2 way into the rear doors to get the color match right.
This is why when I asked them how much to respray my lower front bumper where the PO had scraped a curb I was told $500.
Paint is definately an area where you get what you pay for.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:43 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I had some damage on my Max 2 years ago, and I had my entire front bumper repainted. It matched perfectly, and still does. I dont really even have paint chips. Ask any local So Cal org member that has seen my car. I had a top of the line shop do it, called Superior Autobody. Anyone with Glacier Pearle, needs to be real carefull where they take their cars to be worked on. But dont believe the lie that " It can't be matched "....
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

I live in Ohio and have quite a few chips in the hood and front facia. I picked up some two-step touch-up paint from Nissan, but have yet to attempt to make any improvements. Hopefully this stuff will work ok. Has anyone used any of the Nissan brand touch-up paint products? Results?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:32 PM
VTEC This!

yeah, if your fixing stuff right out in the open, dont bother with it, it doesnt match at all, its a lot more white
Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 PM
I miss the .org!

Since I've had about 80% of my car repainted, it matches pretty well
Old 04-26-2004, 10:09 PM

its is hard to match pearl colored cars. I got into a fender bender and the body shop took 3 weeks just to paint the bumper. they painted it like 5 times before they even got close to the color. its is still not perfect but its close. one extra coat can change the shade of pearl on a car. Pearls are the hardest color to match.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Custom User Title...

it's definately a tough color to match, but it can be done. i had a spoiler painted and installed from a body shop and they matched the paint better than my bumpers. any reputable shop should be able to match it, but it is difficult and can sometimes come out off color, whether too dark or light.

it sure does look nice though when it's cleaned up and in the sunlight.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:27 PM

When i got in accident, AUTOBODYUSA had to replace my front fenders, Bumper and hood....they first installed the parts, then painted...then Blended it in! If you get your kit painted, then installed, its RARELY GOING TO MATCH...have to get it put on and then Blended...My car looks like when i FIRST purchased it....my friends 350Z is in PERFECT condition...o and its a veilside version 1 kit on the 350z By the way.