5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Unorthodox vs. Fidanza

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 03:05 PM

Unorthodox vs. Fidanza

Which flywhell is better between these two. The fidanza is 12lbs(7lbs lighter than OEM), while the Unorthodox is 5lbs. (14lbs lighter than factory). Is there any durability differences, and how much power will the unorthodox add over the Fidanza to justify the higher price. Also if it makes a difference i will be running the basic N/A mods for a while with an exedy clutch, but will eventually be boosted, will the unorthodox be too light?
Old 04-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From My Understanding The Lighter It Is The More Torque You Lose.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:07 PM

I dont think it works that way... less moment of inertia means more power freed up.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:26 PM

Lighter is better in this case, same as wheels.

~limsandy
Old 04-27-2004, 10:59 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by 30585
From My Understanding The Lighter It Is The More Torque You Lose.
You are probably thinking that it kills torque since rpm's rise faster.

Aluminum flywheel reduces rotational inertia; therefore, it has no effect on torque or horsepower. Lighter flywheel will help your car reach its maximum RPM faster.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:14 PM
The Definitive AE Master

IMO, the Unorthodox flywheel may be too light for the day to day driveability issues at 5 lbs.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

A lighter flywheel will help RPM rise faster, but also drop faster, therefore a lighter flywheel will hurt 1/4 mile time, since you lose momentum going into the next gear. Some is offset by quicker to rev, but supposedly momentum is what keeps you pulling into the next gear.

Anyways, my *OPINION* is that the UR is too light for everyday driving and that the Fidanza is the best compromise. If you go with the Fidanza you can shed a few more lbs. by running a UR UDP also. Some people have had issues with the crank sensor CEL with both a UR flywheel and UDP...not all, but some.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:35 AM
VQ Wizard

Id buy the UR but thats just me.

Don't forget to include the heavy pressure plate in with the rotational mass.

If you just look at the flywheel it does look extreme but you need to compare the whole package which makes it look less drastic.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:43 AM

I have the UR and i didnt notice much of a difference. Kinda wish I didnt but it in the first place

LOL disreguard that i was talking bout the UDP my bad
Old 04-28-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

a 5lb flywheel is WAY too light IMHO. Try starting up on a steep hill or drivng smooth.

But some have used this ultra light unit. It's up to you.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=IceY2K1]A lighter flywheel will help RPM rise faster, but also drop faster, therefore a lighter flywheel will hurt 1/4 mile time, since you lose momentum going into the next gear. Some is offset by quicker to rev, but supposedly momentum is what keeps you pulling into the next gear.

How would you lose momentum going into the next gear? If you are shifting at say 6600rpm and then next gear would take the rpms down to 4700 there is something wrong with you if you cannot engage the clutch before the rpms drop below 4700. Speaking of momentum... the momentum of the car moving forward much much greater that the momentum of the flywheel. Besides that while you are shifting the driveline is disengaged from the flywheel making the momentum of the flywheel while shifting irrelevant. I cannot think of a way in which a lightened flywheel could hurt your 1/4 time. A lightened flywheel would improve your time by freeing up torque.
The only downside I could see to a lightened flywheel is daily driving. The fact that the flywheel is lighter, giving it less momentum to sustain motion, would cuase the rpms to drop quicker. This would mean you would have to be able to shift quicker under normal driving circumstances to avoid jerking. To me, this is also a benefit becuase I feel that the rpms do not drop quick enough in our maximas due to that odd emissions throttle lag.
Try starting up on a steep hill or drivng smooth.
What would be the problem there?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:52 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by bgates1654
light is good, but i've discussed with others that going too light on a flywheel makes it harder to engage the clutch on a day to day driving basis.

hence trying to drive smooth or starting up a steep hill
Old 04-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

You have to understand a flywheel is an energy storage device. If it's lighter, it stores less energy.

So a search on how a flywheel works and it's function. It has mass for a reason. Stock has more than necessary but totally elminating it would be very bad.

Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM

That's a COMMON misconception. There are a few threads here and definitely tons on the net you can search and find that can explain it better then I can.

However, lighter flywheels are good for autocross and certain street situations where you need to accelerate in RPM quickly, but as far as rowing through the gears in a drag race, the additional momentum aides acceleration.

How would you lose momentum going into the next gear? If you are shifting at say 6600rpm and then next gear would take the rpms down to 4700 there is something wrong with you if you cannot engage the clutch before the rpms drop below 4700. Speaking of momentum... the momentum of the car moving forward much much greater that the momentum of the flywheel. Besides that while you are shifting the driveline is disengaged from the flywheel making the momentum of the flywheel while shifting irrelevant. I cannot think of a way in which a lightened flywheel could hurt your 1/4 time. A lightened flywheel would improve your time by freeing up torque.
The only downside I could see to a lightened flywheel is daily driving. The fact that the flywheel is lighter, giving it less momentum to sustain motion, would cuase the rpms to drop quicker. This would mean you would have to be able to shift quicker under normal driving circumstances to avoid jerking. To me, this is also a benefit becuase I feel that the rpms do not drop quick enough in our maximas due to that odd emissions throttle lag.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You have to understand a flywheel is an energy storage device. If it's lighter, it stores less energy.

So a search on how a flywheel works and it's function. It has mass for a reason. Stock has more than necessary but totally elminating it would be very bad.
Are you still selling the fidenza flywheels the steel ones. I will be putting a 2000 trany in my car soon and I want to throw a flywheel in.

Well my carbon fiber trunk is still in my attic and without it on my car still weighs 2750 lbs and its getting lighter . A lighter car loves a lighter flywheel.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm needing a caw

All Fidanzas are billet aluminum. But no, I no longer sell them unfortunately.

Originally Posted by krismax
Are you still selling the fidenza flywheels the steel ones. I will be putting a 2000 trany in my car soon and I want to throw a flywheel in.

Well my carbon fiber trunk is still in my attic and without it on my car still weighs 2750 lbs and its getting lighter . A lighter car loves a lighter flywheel.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:45 PM
I miss the .org!

If 5lbs. is too extreme, would 8lbs. also be too light? Tilton makes an 8lb. flywheel for the VQ35...
Old 04-28-2004, 01:10 PM

I'd probably go with a JWT(Fidanza), here are some good reads on a 350z install/review:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/october03/350z_fly/

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...8scc_proj350z/

I wouldn't go any lighter then a JWT at 13lbs. vs a stock 25lbs. at least on a 350z, which I believe is similar but different?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:54 PM

Ah I see... after spending some time looking it up it seems like it is better to stick with the stock flywheel for drag racing, which is pretty much all I would be doing for a while. A mildly lightened flywheel might not be too bad though.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:23 PM

so from what im reading its not worth the $450-500 to get a flywheel. But I mean if your RPM's are rising faster because of a lighter flywheel doesn't that mean you are going to going faster quicker? The main reason i want to get the thing now, is that i am getting the exedy clutch, and while that is open ill get the flywheel, or just not get it at all.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I too was mystified, but this board opened my eyes.

If you're only interested in 0-100mph jaunts, then the stock is best, the smoothest, and FREE.

Ah I see... after spending some time looking it up it seems like it is better to stick with the stock flywheel for drag racing, which is pretty much all I would be doing for a while. A mildly lightened flywheel might not be too bad though.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Depends on your driving style. Yes, the engine climbs in RPM quicker, but it doesn't outweigh the lost momentum during the 1-2, 2-3, etc. shifts by the end of the 1/4-mile. If you're boosted, it will be beneficial to get you faster into boost and NA when accelerating in gear.

I'm not a 1/4-mile racer(wish I was more), so I'd rather have the quick stab, quick rev, quick response of a moderately lighter flywheel, ie Fidanza. The UR is just to light IMO and sacrifices driveability.

Originally Posted by VQ30DES
so from what im reading its not worth the $450-500 to get a flywheel. But I mean if your RPM's are rising faster because of a lighter flywheel doesn't that mean you are going to going faster quicker? The main reason i want to get the thing now, is that i am getting the exedy clutch, and while that is open ill get the flywheel, or just not get it at all.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

I love my Fidanza. No real penalty in the drag dept. But the improvement in reving power while in gear (ie.. 1st, 2nd and some of 3rd) is noticably faster). If you are in gear and you can get to a xxxx rpm quicker = faster rate of acceleration. Because a xxxx rpm in x gear, you must be traveling at xx mph. (assuming the wheels aren't slipping). So this means I can get into my power band faster. But it requires more careful attention to shifting.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=IceY2K1]Depends on your driving style. Yes, the engine climbs in RPM quicker, but it doesn't outweigh the lost momentum during the 1-2, 2-3, etc. shifts by the end of the 1/4-mile. If you're boosted, it will be beneficial to get you faster into boost and NA when accelerating in gear.

So it doesn't make a diffrence because of the momentum loss during the shifts and really won't help in the quarter mile, But once you're over 100 in 4th and 5th gear if you're not boosted(to get boost faster) the flywheel isn't accelarating as fast as it does in 1-3 gears so weight doesn't affect it as much. So it looks like untill im boosted i shouldn't spend the $500.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Really? There is one person who said they didn't like their light FW. That was Dave B who bought the ultra light unit. Everyone that I've read (boosted or not) says they love it. Because we spend most of our time actually driving the car and not 1/4-ing the car. Plus I've have not read any posts stating the Fidanza or other units have actually hurt anyone's times. You should maybe drive someone's car with one and see.

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Depends on your driving style. Yes, the engine climbs in RPM quicker, but it doesn't outweigh the lost momentum during the 1-2, 2-3, etc. shifts by the end of the 1/4-mile. If you're boosted, it will be beneficial to get you faster into boost and NA when accelerating in gear.

I'm not a 1/4-mile racer(wish I was more), so I'd rather have the quick stab, quick rev, quick response of a moderately lighter flywheel, ie Fidanza. The UR is just to light IMO and sacrifices driveability.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I miss the .org!

I'd probably go with a JWT(Fidanza), here are some good reads on a 350z install/review:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/october03/350z_fly/

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/pr...8scc_proj350z/

I wouldn't go any lighter then a JWT at 13lbs. vs a stock 25lbs. at least on a 350z, which I believe is similar but different?
The weight of the JWT for us varies on different retail sites, but I think the lowest I saw was about 17lbs. I thought it would be the same as the Z, but I'm not sure.

So JWT = Fidanza? Who makes which one?
Old 04-28-2004, 07:33 PM
drag racing is for wussies

OK OK OK, lemme clear up WHY the UD flywheel is lighter, its cause U only get the friction side of the flywheel and not the ring gear or anything. The UD flywheel uses the stock flywheels starter ring and the reluctor wheel assembly ring gear for the crank sensor. I have a Fidanza flywheel in my Maxima- weighted it vs stock flywheel when I was installing it 11lbs on my Fidanza-12 with the crank sensor ring gear, and 20lbs for the stock flywheel. Now a UD flywheel is NOT 5lbs with the starter ring gear and the crank sensor ring gear attached. I know for a fact it aint its about the same weight- my scale was maulfunctioning that day so I couldn't get a reading- batteries where dying. But I got a 13lb reading out of it. I installed UD flywheels in a Maxima Forum members Maximas, and basically what U see on the websites is what U get vs a whole flywheel like U do with a Fidanza. I love my Fidanza coupled with a UDP.... anyone whos driven my 3.0L is amazed at its responsiveness and power. And RPMs don't drop any faster when letting off the accelerator pedal - than it would with a stock flywheel. It has something to do with the ECU programing that keeps the cat lit up hot even between the shifts. Some of U might have noticed the RPMs kinda bump up by like 200RPM when U try to shift around 3K RPMs. Basically the ECU still dumps a little bit of fuel into the combustion chambers on deceleration with the clutch dissengaged. This is why the RPMs don't drop down quickly as they do on the 95-99 VQs.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is the fly wheel made for auto trans or manual trans?
Old 04-28-2004, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by custommaximaSE
Is the fly wheel made for auto trans or manual trans?

Thanks, I needed that.

~limsandy
Old 04-29-2004, 12:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by limsandy

Thanks, I needed that.

~limsandy

I know its stupied question ,but you don't have to be a smart @$$ about it .When you born did you know about the fly wheel.No body born knowing every thing.

I simply not interested in the fly wheel .Thats why i don't know any thing about it.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:06 AM

I love my fidanza, it tipped the scale at ~9lbs, the VQ one I bought for my Dads 2000se tipped the scale at ~9.5lbs. The VQ fidanza is slightly thicker than the VE fidanza.

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
If you just look at the flywheel it does look extreme but you need to compare the whole package which makes it look less drastic.
Exactly. but in my case, price was a huge factor.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:32 AM

You feeling alright today? You're missing what I said or at least TRIED to say.

Let me say AGAIN, a lightened flywheel can lose performance at the 1/4 track, which isn't a big deal or important to me, since I don't track the car hence:

"I'm not a 1/4-mile racer(wish I was more), so I'd rather have the quick stab, quick rev, quick response of a moderately lighter flywheel, ie Fidanza. The UR is just to light IMO and sacrifices driveability."

So, in short...that's what I said.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Really? There is one person who said they didn't like their light FW. That was Dave B who bought the ultra light unit. Everyone that I've read (boosted or not) says they love it. Because we spend most of our time actually driving the car and not 1/4-ing the car. Plus I've have not read any posts stating the Fidanza or other units have actually hurt anyone's times. You should maybe drive someone's car with one and see.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:34 AM

I know the 350z and the VQ35 Max flywheel/clutch are different, but not sure where/how, just using it as an example.

IIRC, JWT uses Fidanza to make their flywheels, could be wrong though.

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
The weight of the JWT for us varies on different retail sites, but I think the lowest I saw was about 17lbs. I thought it would be the same as the Z, but I'm not sure.

So JWT = Fidanza? Who makes which one?
Old 04-29-2004, 02:39 AM

Oh, and I've not really driven a car with a Fidanza, but I've ridden in one, however it was boosted so that's not really a good comparison.

As you should know, I've tried to buy one in the past(lost out to Jay), and will buy one in the future once I'm ready for a clutch.

You definitely don't need to preach to me about the benefits, I'm already sold. I'm just trying to point out, NOT argue/devalue, that it's not better in the 1/4, so if you're a drag racer mindset(I'm not), you need to do some research and decide if it's really what you want.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:38 AM

I am not a drag racer, I love road racing. And the flywheel greatly improves throttle response where it counts the most- road racing. Yes its eassier to bog the car with a flywheel and UDP for sure, but after driving mine for like half a year like this I can't even tell these things are on the car. AC feels like its not even on- yet it is. I just got very used to it ! I would recommend a flywheel to anyone with a 5spd.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:26 AM

it also helps me get better mileage
Old 05-01-2004, 04:21 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

I have the findanza and go to the track often. I made enough passes with the findanza to give a solid opinion. For drag racing purposes only it's probably best not to go with a lightend flywheel. $400 could be better spent else where. It's much easier to bog, even if it's for just a split second it will hurt your 60' pretty good. It's also not easy to be consistant on the launch with a lightend flywheel. I have pulled a 2.14 60' with the findanza but you have hit a certin sweet spot which seems to be hard to do with the lightend flywheel. 90% of the time that I really push my car is at the track, so if I had to do it all over again I would probably not get the flywheel. The biggest reason being that I could have spent the money else where in performance mods more than the fact that it give me inconsistant launch.

For daily driving I like it. The car screams through the high revs. Since i have an MEVI and extended redline it makes having the findanza even more fun. For general daily driving having the findanza is not a problem. It took me no time at all to get used to it. Since I don't drive around town launching my car as if I was at the track having the findanza causes no issues. the findanza makes 2nd and 3rd gear down shifts really fun and that is really the only way I push my car hard on the street. 40mph 2nd gear down shifts are a blast. I don't do much redlight racing.

To conclude.

At the track the flywheel is more of a hinderance. Nothing major, but when I might only get a couple runs in at T&T it sucks to use those runs trying to find that sweet spot where I won't bog.

On the street, the lightend flywheel is fun. Good for down shifts and causes no driveability issues.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:03 AM

I have to agree with I30tMike on the 40MPH downshift into 2nd, it rips from there on. I just got a sweeeet JDM Z32 TT shiftknob which is pretty heavy for a shift ****, I dunno bout ya guys but with this shift **** I tend to get every shift rev matched with no problem. It seems to help alot. My GF can't even tell I shifted gears any other way than the tone of the exhaust change or looking at the tach. Shift **** was 30 bux from Nissan- leather with red stiching and 1-2-3-4-5-R on top of it.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:31 PM
VQ Wizard

I know the 350z and the VQ35 Max flywheel/clutch are different, but not sure where/how, just using it as an example.

IIRC, JWT uses Fidanza to make their flywheels, could be wrong though.
From info that cam from Exedy I was told that the 350Z and VQ35 Maxima clutches are the same. I suspect that the flywheel is also the same or close enough to use.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
From info that cam from Exedy I was told that the 350Z and VQ35 Maxima clutches are the same. I suspect that the flywheel is also the same or close enough to use.
Tilton time ! BTW SR20DEN we need to talk online bout something.... look below...

Quick Reply: Unorthodox vs. Fidanza