5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hi newbie here and got a problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi newbie with a problem - electric servo running after engine off

I've got a 2000 Maxima. Been a pretty trouble free car until now. After I turn the engine off, some sort of servo motor or something keeps running after the engine is off. I've isolated the problem by removing the "engine cont 2" fuse on the right hand side fuse box. Otherwise, it just keeps running even though the key is out of the ignition!!! When underneath the car, the electric moter noise seems to be coming up near the tranny area????? strange......
Old 04-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Cletus

its normal. mine does it.
i cant remember what it is, something to do with fuel purging i think
Old 04-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by soonerfan
its normal. mine does it.
i cant remember what it is, something to do with fuel purging i think

Its just keeps running and running - it did for one hour unitl I pulled the fuse. I've owned it since new and it has never done that before
Old 04-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Take it to the dealer.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:23 PM

I just searched thru FSM and did could not find what specifically that fuse controls.

I'll secon SE01 - take it to the dealer, at least they will tell you what it is and maybe you can fix it yourself.
Old 05-01-2004, 04:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yup - thanks - I always try to get enough information as I can before I make that decision. I'm going this morning.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Panoscopic
I've got a 2000 Maxima. Been a pretty trouble free car until now. After I turn the engine off, some sort of servo motor or something keeps running after the engine is off. I've isolated the problem by removing the "engine cont 2" fuse on the right hand side fuse box. Otherwise, it just keeps running even though the key is out of the ignition!!! When underneath the car, the electric moter noise seems to be coming up near the tranny area????? strange......

I think the problem you are having has to do with motor mounts. Just my $.02
Old 05-01-2004, 05:37 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Explain how engine mounts keep your car running for over an hour after the key has been removed?
Old 05-01-2004, 05:46 AM
retired moderator

ummm...this sounds like the electric cooling fans that cool down the radiator....they will run after the car is off if the coolant is hot.

Usually they would only run for 10-20 minutes, but yours could be running longer due to:

1. lack of/dirty antifreeze makes the engine stay hot for a longer time.
2. faulty temperature sensor that is telling the fans that the engine is still hot even when it's really not.

Get that stuff checked out and should solve your problem.

Open the hood and see if the two fans up by the radiator are running...do not stick your hand in there!
Old 05-01-2004, 05:50 AM

irish44j,
I would agree with you about RAD fans, but the fans have their own fuses in the fuse-box labled Rad1, Rad2 and I think even Rad3....
Old 05-01-2004, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Explain how engine mounts keep your car running for over an hour after the key has been removed?
Think you need to go reread the original problem. The engine doesn't keep running, something is buzzing around the transmission after the engine is shut off.

The problem could very well be a shorted electronically controlled engine mount. Find the lead going to the mount in the area where the noise is coming from, disconnect it, and see if the noise goes away.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by DanL
Think you need to go reread the original problem. The engine doesn't keep running, something is buzzing around the transmission after the engine is shut off.

The problem could very well be a shorted electronically controlled engine mount. Find the lead going to the mount in the area where the noise is coming from, disconnect it, and see if the noise goes away.

OK - you guys got it right. Engine mount.

On my way to the dealer this morning, I started to smell something strange. All of a sudden, the engine goes totally dead and there is acrid smoke coming from the bottom front of the engine. Had to get it towed to dealer - after I told the tech the symptoms, he said there is an SB out on the electric motor mounts. I'll bet this ends up costing a lot! My car only has 21K miles.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
Wild at Hurt

Gawd,
I wish I saw this sooner because these mounts have been taking out ECUs and burning wiring harnesses. Yes the bill can be huge. Hopefully they will cover it.

We should post a big red sticky advising people to install fuses in the wiring to the mounts.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:39 AM

so what type of sound was it? I notice sometimes when I get out of the car and shut down, I hear a buzzing type sound. Mine sounds like it's coming from the back somewhere. Could this be the fuel purge thing that was mentioned earlier??
Old 05-01-2004, 10:20 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

My bad I thought I read that engine kept running with the keys out of ignition. Did not read the post carefully.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mm7759
so what type of sound was it? I notice sometimes when I get out of the car and shut down, I hear a buzzing type sound. Mine sounds like it's coming from the back somewhere. Could this be the fuel purge thing that was mentioned earlier??
Its the same sound I normally hear when I shut it down. The best way I can describe it is that is sounds like a servo motor closing down something. Usually lasts for about a second or so. This time, it just kept running. It had a cycling sound - about 0.25 sec per cycle.

I'm really worried as it seems as if it took down the ECM. The engine was totally dead. If that is so, its a faulty design. This is a non-critical function - in the event of a failure, its should go to a default position and be fused so that it does not toast the rest of the system.

The Nissan shop called and said they would look at it in the next hour. I'll update when i know more.

BTW, I found one reference to it SB 01-010 and NHTSA 618795. Refers to a humming sound after the engine is turned off. Not a recall and my car is out of warranty. Any hope that the Nissan will have the goodness to take care of this one???

Any info you folks may have on previous incidents of this may really help me when I get to talk to the shop again.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update - got the call back from the dealer. Both motor mounts failed and it toasted the ECM.....looks like it will be out for a few days. They will let me know if there is any coverage by Nissan on this on Monday.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:36 PM

If anything, push for the powertrain warranty to cover this.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:42 PM

If you only have 21k miles then it should all be covered by warranty.

I had no idea Maxima's had electronically controlled motor mounts. What do they do exactly?
Old 05-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 02MaximizedVQ
If you only have 21k miles then it should all be covered by warranty.

I had no idea Maxima's had electronically controlled motor mounts. What do they do exactly?

My warranty was 3years/36K so I finished it last year.

The electronic motor mounts have been on Maximas since the 90's. They adjust the firmness/softness of the motormounts based on speed.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My warranty was 3years/36K so I finished it last year.

The electronic motor mounts have been on Maximas since the 90's. They adjust the firmness/softness of the motormounts based on speed.

Update - talked to dealer today - both motor mounts blown, as well as the ECM.

Good news is that the ECM will be covered by the emissions warranty.

Parts and labor for the two motor mounts is $618 - much less than I had expected.

Its just strange to me how two could fail. One I can understand. There was nothing unsual about the operation of the car before the failure.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:38 AM

Parts and labor for the two motor mounts is $618 - much less than I had expected.

Its just strange to me how two could fail. One I can understand. There was nothing unsual about the operation of the car before the failure.

You see... I daignosed it first I had the same thing happen to my 2000 Maxima, back in the day when I had a GLE (about 1 year ago) I took it to the dealer and they said it was the engine mounts. They covered it under warranty 3 years/36K. Sorry you had to pay.... Good luck

Got to love .org
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 AM

So what do these motor mounts do? Is there a hydraulic attached to it? how does it adjust itself, and in what way? Curious minds want to know!
Old 05-08-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by kawidood
So what do these motor mounts do? Is there a hydraulic attached to it? how does it adjust itself, and in what way? Curious minds want to know!

Are you guys being serious?!?
I have NEVER heard of "electronic adjusting motor mounts", and what's more I sure as **** don't want them on my Max if they fail at only 21k miles and cost over 600 clams . Sounds like a crap-@ss design to me.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by kawidood
They provide increased dampening at idle and firm up at around 2000 rpms. BTW, electronic motor mounts have been on Maximas for years (at least I know they have on the GLE).
Old 05-09-2004, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 02SEinStL
Are you guys being serious?!?
I have NEVER heard of "electronic adjusting motor mounts", and what's more I sure as **** don't want them on my Max if they fail at only 21k miles and cost over 600 clams . Sounds like a crap-@ss design to me.
Just because Pans failed @21K doesn't mean yours will too. I'm @70K with no failures. Relax
Old 05-09-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by NuJerseyDrive
Just because Pans failed @21K doesn't mean yours will too. I'm @70K with no failures. Relax

Oh no doubt - I'm sure with my luck they would go @ 37k miles
Old 05-10-2004, 11:14 AM

Its just keeps running and running - it did for one hour unitl I pulled the fuse. I've owned it since new and it has never done that before
Pan, Can the car run fine without that fuse in? I want to remove the fuse until I can bring it in to the dealer so I don't blow my ECU.

What fuse was it exactly?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by BLCKMAX
You see... I daignosed it first I had the same thing happen to my 2000 Maxima, back in the day when I had a GLE (about 1 year ago) I took it to the dealer and they said it was the engine mounts. They covered it under warranty 3 years/36K. Sorry you had to pay.... Good luck

Got to love .org
BLCKMAX, How lond did you notice this happening? I just started hearing this noise but don't know how lond its been happening. I don't want to blow my ECU....but cannot make it to the dealership until later this week! Should I rent a car so I don't fry my ECU?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by BennysMAXIMA
BLCKMAX, How lond did you notice this happening? I just started hearing this noise but don't know how lond its been happening. I don't want to blow my ECU....but cannot make it to the dealership until later this week! Should I rent a car so I don't fry my ECU?
Benny,
I heard the noice probably for about 3 months or so, but really did not pay any attention to it. Car beaing a leased vehicle and all. When I went to the dealer for an unrelated issue, I told him about the noise when I turn the car off. He called me and said that it was your engine mounts, and it will be under warranty 36K/3 years. Anyway, the answer to your question I would say about 3 months.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BennysMAXIMA
Most of the time the ECU is fine. But, if you're really concerned, find the offending mount, trace the wire back, and unplug the connector.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:54 PM

Most of the time the ECU is fine. But, if you're really concerned, find the offending mount, trace the wire back, and unplug the connector.
Gonna try to do that tonight!

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:32 PM

I thought it was one electronic mount??...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 PM

For those who have had this problem,

Which mounts did you guys replace?
How could I check which of my mounts is gone?

I have the same problem, I hear the sound from the rear of the motor.... right by the down pipe/exhaust manifold....
Old 05-11-2004, 06:04 AM

There was a post yesterday with a link to a zip file with some dealer coupons. Make sure you find the one with the labor discount and parts discount to take in with you. It might save you some money.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by HSVMaxima
There was a post yesterday with a link to a zip file with some dealer coupons. Make sure you find the one with the labor discount and parts discount to take in with you. It might save you some money.

Do you know who had made the post?
Do you remember the title or something?

Im going to take my car into the stealership tomorrow... Can someone help me find these coupons... I do not have capabilities to search since Im not a Donating .org member (too poor)

Thanks