5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stupid front brakes are p***ing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004 | 06:29 PM

Stupid front brakes are p***ing me off!

I put new Raybestos semi-metallic pads and rotors all around a few weeks ago. When I'm braking at any speed >35mph, I hear a high pitched squeak until I either apply more pressure to the brakes, or slow down below 35. I've done the following:

-Greased all contact points between pads and the caliper/pad holding clips.
-Removed, re-set, re-greased the pads and contact points.
-Bought the brake shim/clips kit from Nissan, re-greased and re-set the pads.

... and the squeak is still there, never decreasing.

I don't know what else to do besides scrap the pads and get different ones, but I don't want to waste more money on these brakes.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong? I'm wondering if I put the shims back on wrong:

(Outside pad, from the rotor out)
Large gold-colored shim
Black slotted shim
Outer pad

(Inside pad, from the rotor out)
Inside pad
Black shim with 2 holes
Small gold-colored shim (has a notch cut out, not sure if I put the right ones on the right sides).

Help!
Old 05-08-2004 | 05:27 AM
Mauja He Mauja

i have used the Raybestos semi-metallic pads, and axxis metal masters, with x-drilled rotors. for me both squeaked and the brake dust was horrible. i now have brembo blanks with ceramic pads. squeaking is minimal and virtually no brake dust.
Old 05-08-2004 | 06:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

squeaky

Originally Posted by 00GLE
I put new Raybestos semi-metallic pads and rotors all around a few weeks ago. When I'm braking at any speed >35mph, I hear a high pitched squeak until I either apply more pressure to the brakes, or slow down below 35. I don't know what else to do besides scrap the pads and get different ones, but I don't want to waste more money on these brakes.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong?

the squeal is from the metallic pads. I have Stillen Metal Masters + Power Slot rotors = no squeal, but some noise, due to the slots, kind of like a thumping but just the sound of gas-pressure release in the slots ... I swear by Power Slots! had them on my AWD Eagle Talon, awesome combo, never thought about getting the Brembo GT Huge Brake set-up after that !!
Old 05-08-2004 | 08:46 AM

Well, the only thing I've gotten from the responses thus far is that I should get new pads?
Old 05-08-2004 | 10:29 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by 00GLE
Well, the only thing I've gotten from the responses thus far is that I should get new pads?
OK...let me give this a try....

1) Clean all the anti-squeal grease off...real good.
2) Use anti-SEAZE (no joke...no typo either) and cover all surfaces. That is, all surfaces of the shims. Put a coat on the BACK of the pad.
3) Assembly should be (according to the FSM/ESM):
Pad back
Slotted Shim (make sure this piece is completly cover in anti-seaze)
Solid shim

I have ceramic...but was getting that stupid squeal. I then assembled as above and not heard a peep since.

When I got my shim kit, the gold package looked a LOT like anti-seaze. In discussions with DAVEB, he did verify thats what Acura and Nissan use as anti-squeal agent.

My guess is if its still making noise and you are 100% sure its assembled correctly, you might have to go to another type of pad to reduce noise.

GOOD LUCK![/
Old 05-08-2004 | 10:35 AM
Mauja He Mauja

check out this thread
Old 05-08-2004 | 10:47 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I just did brakes on my 00 Altima- only 31K miles - original owner car (me) and I used Honda/Acura Moly Kote grease on the back of the pads and under any of the shims that get installed on the back of the pad. I cut the OE rotors and test drove it for the last 25 miles- drove it home from work and just walked in checking out the Org. No Squealing and brakes are perfect. I've done 4 brake jobs on my 01 Maxima already and I am on my 2nd set of Hawk HPS, medium brake dust, but U will NEVER warp the stock rotors with these pads. I consider myself a mentaly unstable driver when it comes down to driving my Maxima- it sees redline, trips to 150MPH every day almost... and stock rotors did just fine as long as Hawk HPS pads are on the car. I just got my TTZ calipers and 04 Max drilled rotors and I'm going to be putting them on the Maxima for more stopping powa !
Old 05-08-2004 | 07:14 PM

I have used raybestos in the past and never had good luck with them. I did my brakes a few weeks ago front and rears. I used Bendix IQ on the front and they are very nice, no noise,very minimal dust, and are smoother now than when I put them on a few eeks ago. For some reason the Bendix are never mentioned on this site, but seem to be very good quality with out blowing a ton of jack.
Old 05-09-2004 | 06:31 PM

I did the anti-seize trick, but I didn't put them on ALL of the surfaces. I don't know if it's going to work though since I haven't noticed ANY change in how/when and under what conditions the squeal occurs between running them with and w/out the shims. I'll try coating all of the surfaces the next time I'm working on the front, but I'm convinced that it's the pads themselves. I'm probably going to eventually bite the bullet and just get new pads.