5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone hardwired an iPod to their car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:18 AM

Has anyone hardwired an iPod to their car?

more specifically, into a 2k2 with BOSE?

(this thread is also x-posted in audio, but i figured i'd get a better response in here)

thanks in advance
Old 10-07-2004, 06:53 PM

If you have a head unit that will accept an external CD changer, then you can do it. Just search the net for something with ICE or ICELINK and IPOD in it. These guys make an adapter that makes your iPod look like a CD changer.. and your HU / steering wheel buttons will control it!

If you have a Bose HU with internal 6-CD changer (like me) then you are out of luck as there is no way to attach an external CD changer (or iPod)
Old 10-07-2004, 06:56 PM
retired moderator

you cannot hardwire it into the bose. believe me, i've done a TON of research on this both on the org and elsewhere and there's no way to do it unless you are an electrical engineer or something....Fm modulator or tape deck attachment are the only options, unfortunately.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:01 PM

Here are the links I have:

http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=375&Itemid=79

But it looks like they are backordered for Nissan: (this has been true for months now)
http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...Code=IA_Nissan

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=50&topid=42
Old 10-07-2004, 07:03 PM

I agree you can't hook it up to a Bose with integrated 6-cd changer...
but I do believe it can be done with any HU that supports an external changer.

They build some kind of logic circuit that responds to your HU or wheel buttons, then translates it into 'ipod' interface. The audio connections are just regular audio connections, no science there except for maybe the plugs used.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:19 PM

i asked about this in another thread, i think you could splice a factory changer plug to fit our cars, just have to find out the audio wires inside the cable, unless you need some kind of board it wouldn't be too dificult with a changer input HU
Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20
i asked about this in another thread, i think you could splice a factory changer plug to fit our cars, just have to find out the audio wires inside the cable, unless you need some kind of board it wouldn't be too dificult with a changer input HU
You can't. Something about our changers being "active" rather than passive, which means the HU "looks" for the changer. Same reason why if you have no changer and press the CD/CHGR button nothing happens.

I've wired my iPod using an FM Modulator and a docking station. But, I'm about to get a new HU (Kenwood DDX7015) and will now use the AUX IN for the iPod.

My thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=328586
Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Is there any diff between non-Bose and Bose as far as iPod inter-connectivity goes?
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM

I guess it would just be the changer input function, if ya have it, it's fine other wise you MUST use an fm modulator or tape adapter.
GaMax - where did you find this out, has there been a thread?, i can't find one, i'm gonna go look around, I Beleive I can build a logic board as I Pod has!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by StillenMax80x20
I guess it would just be the changer input function, if ya have it, it's fine other wise you MUST use an fm modulator or tape adapter.
GaMax - where did you find this out, has there been a thread?, i can't find one, i'm gonna go look around, I Beleive I can build a logic board as I Pod has!!!
I'm not aware of a logic board…that gets out of my realm of knowledge.

I just did a lot of research and asking around the Audio & Electronics section from people who have attempted it. One guy even went so far as tapping into his changer audio while burning a blank disc. That would allow the changer to operate as normal but the audio would be the iPod. It's a ghetto way but one that sort of worked. I wanted a non-permanent way to hook my iPod up to my Bose without cutting, tapping, etc. that sounded good and had no visible wires from a tape adapter, etc.

My way worked but I'm now ready to upgrade since the sound that is sent through the FM does not do the .mp3's justice. The .mp3's are in no way as clean/clear as CD's, nor are they as full. By "full" I mean when I listen to a rap song on a CD the bass hits, the highs are good and the vocals are good. Via iPod and FM Modulator, the crispness of the song is diminished. Everyone else that rides with me thinks it sounds ok but I'm so ****/OC that I can tell every note that isn't as it should be...which is part of the reason I want to upgrade the HU all together. If I play the same .mp3's through my computer surround sound or with good headphones on the iPod, these sound issues are not present. So I know the .mp3's are good. Also, if I burn the .mp3's to CD, they are still good. Only problem has to the FM Modulator. So with the new HU, the iPod will be wired directly to it and eliminate the problem.

Sorry for the rambling of the above paragraph.

Eric.