5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ground control coilovers... Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ground control coilovers... Any good?

I know this may quite possible the 1 millionth time this has been posted, but I need to make my decision on if I should get them. A member of the org is selling the GC's, and tokico blue shocks. Both items have approx 9k miles on them. But I would like to know how they ride... on one of my fourth gens, I had KYB AGX's, with H&R springs, and I loved that setup. I had the AGX's set on stiffest setting all the way around, and the handling was superb.

Does anyone have a comparison for these GC's, to H&Rs? or even any thoughts about them by themselfs? Thank you guys...

-Chris
Old 05-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The GC's are crap. They will void your shock warranty and they ride like crap. The stroke is shortened soooo much with the "coilovers" that they kill your shocks. Go with a regular spring and shock combo and you'll be much better off.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:32 PM

REALLY? does anyone else have any imput on this? please let me know asap!! thank you...
Old 05-15-2004, 10:00 PM

the only way to ride on gc is to have koni struts, they are super stiff and a decent ride, i might sell mine soon step up to the plate and get some jic's
Old 05-15-2004, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by cobymoby
The GC's are crap. They will void your shock warranty and they ride like crap. The stroke is shortened soooo much with the "coilovers" that they kill your shocks. Go with a regular spring and shock combo and you'll be much better off.
that is true that the stroke is shortened, but the ride wasnt CRAP. What suspension are you on now? My jic's on setting 5 are stiffer then the gc's...that is what I would consider CRAP. Springs SUCK!!! No springs for our car give a NICE AND LOW drop...thats my honest opinion after going from springs>gc's>jics.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:16 PM

GC's are crap...don't buy them
Old 05-16-2004, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by rob van dam
that is true that the stroke is shortened, but the ride wasnt CRAP. What suspension are you on now? My jic's on setting 5 are stiffer then the gc's...that is what I would consider CRAP. Springs SUCK!!! No springs for our car give a NICE AND LOW drop...thats my honest opinion after going from springs>gc's>jics.
JIC is much stiffer than the GC's. If you are talking ride quality then with the rates that the JIC's come with out of the box then yes, they have the harshest ride. But when I went with the JIC's, I didn't buy them for the ride quality. If you use the JIC's with a softer or a progressive Eibach spring then I think it's kind of a waste to buy high end suspension and have it all mushy for a nice ride.

The GC's are crap because they shorten the stoke so much. You loose at least half of it with them. Your shocks will blow for sure with the GC's which is why every shock manufacturer will void the warranty if you use the spring/collar type "coilovers".

If you want a nice ride and better handling, go with the H&R's with aftermarket shocks.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:26 AM

well this was not the type of response i was expecting... but thank all of you for being honest with me. it is too bad though, i kind of had my heart set on getting them. oh well, i guess it is back to the normal setup again.

does anyone know if i can use my KYB AGX struts/shocks from my 98 maxima and use them on my 2002 maxima? anything required? i remember reading a long time ago about some type of plate i have to use, but i have forgotten. thanks again.

-Chris
Old 05-16-2004, 08:40 AM

JIC is much stiffer than the GC's. If you are talking ride quality then with the rates that the JIC's come with out of the box then yes, they have the harshest ride. But when I went with the JIC's, I didn't buy them for the ride quality. If you use the JIC's with a softer or a progressive Eibach spring then I think it's kind of a waste to buy high end suspension and have it all mushy for a nice ride.

The GC's are crap because they shorten the stoke so much. You loose at least half of it with them. Your shocks will blow for sure with the GC's which is why every shock manufacturer will void the warranty if you use the spring/collar type "coilovers".

If you want a nice ride and better handling, go with the H&R's with aftermarket shocks.
have you even owned gc's? Everyone makes judgements about them and have no personal experience with them!! I had them for over a yr and a half and they arent as bad as you all make them out to be. They DO handle well. Hell, my shocks are still in good shape after they so call "will blow for sure". Honestly, the jic's do ride better then any other setup that i have used and they actually LOWER the car at the same time. H&r's hardly drop you at all...so whats the point?
Old 05-16-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Igor911
GC's are crap...don't buy them
seriously, have you ever rode in a 5th gen maxima on gc's? You have NEVER owned them i know that for a fact! This comment is very pointless and immature for the thread. geeez igor..grow up man.

"the only way to ride on gc is to have koni struts, they are super stiff and a decent ride"..thats a mature comment from someone who actually OWNS them. Gc's are not as good as jic's, but jic's cost a LOT more.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:55 PM
Pointy Elbows

rob, is it easy to adjust the ride height with the GCs?
Old 05-16-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
rob, is it easy to adjust the ride height with the GCs?
yes. You use a small allen wrench do loosen the collar.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
well this was not the type of response i was expecting... but thank all of you for being honest with me. it is too bad though, i kind of had my heart set on getting them. oh well, i guess it is back to the normal setup again.

does anyone know if i can use my KYB AGX struts/shocks from my 98 maxima and use them on my 2002 maxima? anything required? i remember reading a long time ago about some type of plate i have to use, but i have forgotten. thanks again.

-Chris
well why dont get them dont listen to people who dont have gc's on their cars, i would buy gc over springs anyday, i would recomend getting some better struts though i would get some illumna or koni yellow, with one of those combos i doubt you will have any complaints
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM

do you really think so? what about all those people talking about they kill the struts? is it true or not? i went to ground control's website, and they said that only two struts are recomended, and the ones you mentioned are not listed. i do not know what to do.

-Chris

Originally Posted by Xplayboy69x
well why dont get them dont listen to people who dont have gc's on their cars, i would buy gc over springs anyday, i would recomend getting some better struts though i would get some illumna or koni yellow, with one of those combos i doubt you will have any complaints
Old 05-16-2004, 06:16 PM

seriously, have you ever rode in a 5th gen maxima on gc's? You have NEVER owned them i know that for a fact! This comment is very pointless and immature for the thread. geeez igor..grow up man.

"the only way to ride on gc is to have koni struts, they are super stiff and a decent ride"..thats a mature comment from someone who actually OWNS them. Gc's are not as good as jic's, but jic's cost a LOT more.
dude stfu with ur mature vs. immature.

I don't own them because they are trash, thats why. All they do is blow your struts and ride is complete crap.

Secondly, how would you know what cars I rode in before? Exactly.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Xplayboy69x
FINALLY...i get some support. thanks man. <igor and whoever else..lol
Old 05-16-2004, 06:20 PM

dude stfu with ur mature vs. immature.

I don't own them because they are trash, thats why. All they do is blow your struts and ride is complete crap.

Secondly, how would you know what cars I rode in before? Exactly.
igor you cant excpet the harsh reality that you act like a child. Once again, your making jedgements about something you have never owned. "All they do is blow your struts and ride is complete crap" <idiot. Igor your such a tool...lol
Old 05-16-2004, 06:23 PM

do you really think so? what about all those people talking about they kill the struts? is it true or not? i went to ground control's website, and they said that only two struts are recomended, and the ones you mentioned are not listed. i do not know what to do.

-Chris

well i dont know what gc recomends, but i have koni's they havent blown yet but if they do, they come with a lifetime warranty all you gotta do is call them and they will replace it
Old 05-16-2004, 06:25 PM

igor you cant excpet the harsh reality that you act like a child. Once again, your making jedgements about something you have never owned. "All they do is blow your struts and ride is complete crap" <idiot. Igor your such a tool...lol
your even more of a tool telling someone that they are great when they are complete trash...I don't need to own something to make a judgement, u putz.

Why did you sell them? Cuz ride is crap, u even said it yourself in the JIC thread you made that got moved.

Don't even bother with the excuse that u wanted to go lower, because w/ the JIC you are about the same height if not 1cm lower
Old 05-16-2004, 06:28 PM

your even more of a tool telling someone that they are great when they are complete trash...I don't need to own something to make a judgement, u putz.

Why did you sell them? Cuz ride is crap, u even said it yourself in the JIC thread you made that got moved.

Don't even bother with the excuse that u wanted to go lower, because w/ the JIC you are about the same height if not 1cm lower
same height my ***...im MUCH lower. You have never even seen my car in person you big dumb fool. I told you since day 1 i wanted jic's bc i wanted to go lower. In that thread i made, I said that the jic's ride better. I NEVER said the gc's rode like "crap" as you say. I told him that the gc's were fine in their own right. I cant compare them to the jics bc he isnt even in the market to pay 1g for suspension. Igor your so dumb....college isnt helping you at all!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:29 PM
UCF Lexus

This is Igor -
Old 05-16-2004, 06:38 PM

same height my ***...im MUCH lower. You have never even seen my car in person you big dumb fool. I told you since day 1 i wanted jic's bc i wanted to go lower. In that thread i made, I said that the jic's ride better. I NEVER said the gc's rode like "crap" as you say. I told him that the gc's were fine in their own right. I cant compare them to the jics bc he isnt even in the market to pay 1g for suspension. Igor your so dumb....college isnt helping you at all!
You just owned yourself punk with a post in your OT thread:

"The ride is better and not as DRAMATIC as the ground controls were on certain bumps. So far am i very pleased with them."

Notice the dramatic in caps

Also, in your thread someone made a post that his rear struts blew after having GC's for a couple of days. I believe his SN is chillinmax? And if you do a search on GC's on the org, u will notice most of the people who have them posted that they make alot of noise. I know you said yours didn't but they are prone to do that.

Thanks, please drive thru
Old 05-16-2004, 06:40 PM
UCF Lexus

Igor vs. RVD.......the fight of the millenium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by bijan gxe

Igor vs. RVD.......the fight of the millenium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nah man, no fight just truth. The guy "Blkmax95c" IM'd me telling me he wants a nice ride. I speak the truth of GC's and you know it. If he is not in the market of spending 1000$ then he is better off getting maxspeed or Tien if he wants to be low.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:45 PM

hahaha igor plz stop whorin threads.......learn how to drive a 6speed first...once you beat my auto at the track then talk....and yes my car is sitll stock
Old 05-16-2004, 06:47 PM

You just owned yourself punk with a post in your OT thread:

"The ride is better and not as DRAMATIC as the ground controls were on certain bumps. So far am i very pleased with them."

Notice the dramatic in caps

Also, in your thread someone made a post that his rear struts blew after having GC's for a couple of days. I believe his SN is chillinmax? And if you do a search on GC's on the org, u will notice most of the people who have them posted that they make alot of noise. I know you said yours didn't but they are prone to do that.

Thanks, please drive thru
first of all...DRAMATIC does not necessarily mean that the gc's rode like "crap" as you seem to love saying.
second of all...mine did not blow so i am going by my experiences.
third...mine made no noise. I believe the noise is caused from improper installation after looking at the design many many times.

thats all i have to say. In the end, a lot of people on the org seem to assume that a certain product is bad after 1 person has a bad experience. That is kind of silly. Basically, your comment was just dumb after knowing that you have never owned gc's. Experiences outweigh personal assumptions...now you drive the thru...
Old 05-16-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gooey
hahaha igor plz stop whorin threads.......learn how to drive a 6speed first...once you beat my auto at the track then talk....and yes my car is sitll stock
thanks!...lol Igor ****** up every thread that i am involved in. MODS i hope you see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2004, 06:50 PM

nah man, no fight just truth. The guy "Blkmax95c" IM'd me telling me he wants a nice ride. I speak the truth of GC's and you know it. If he is not in the market of spending 1000$ then he is better off getting maxspeed or Tien if he wants to be low.
your "truth" is just what you have heard. Although i am the seller, I have no reson to lie just to make 180 bucks...oooooh weeeee lets lie to some guy to make 180 bucks. im not that desperate for money...
Old 05-16-2004, 06:52 PM

thanks!...lol Igor ****** up every thread that i am involved in. MODS i hope you see this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you call stating facts whoring then you need to check yourself.

In my book it's not cool lying to ppl about crap your selling. Only ppl whoring in this thread is your bf bijan and John.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:53 PM

hey sorry i didnt get back to you rob but i been real busy lately...and i dotn think i can buy your set up...i wish i can but im a starvin student with high gas prices here and my car is bein fixed at the body shop now
Old 05-16-2004, 07:04 PM
UCF Lexus

bf? god dammit igor you're so

you are
Old 05-16-2004, 07:07 PM

if you call stating facts whoring then you need to check yourself.

In my book it's not cool lying to ppl about crap your selling. Only ppl whoring in this thread is your bf bijan and John.
as i stated in my post
"your "truth" is just what you have heard. Although i am the seller, I have no reson to lie just to make 180 bucks...oooooh weeeee lets lie to some guy to make 180 bucks. im not that desperate for money..."
Old 05-16-2004, 07:09 PM

im desperate for some cash.....anyone wanna donate to the gooey fund?
Old 05-16-2004, 07:20 PM

Well, I am just glad that some one on the org was telling me the truth, I think that it is pretty messed up that you tried to make the GC's look much better then they actually are. You could freaking told me the known problems with them. What, were you going to make me wait until I had them on my car so I could find out myself? On the org, we help people out, not bring them down.

I have better things to do with my money then to take a chance, and to have a crappy ride. But thanks for the offer anyways!

And bijan, please STFU! You were a terrible Moderator on the other form, you are an annoying person, and unless you can say something constructive, then do not post. Of what relevance does your post have? NONE. mind your own business and get out of my thread.

-Chris
Old 05-16-2004, 07:21 PM
www.autotalk.com

I cant believe this. People are trying to defend GCs? I have rode in FOUR different Maximas with GCs and they simply SUCK. Car bounces like **** all over the place. Sprint/KYB combo OWNS GCs.

Now if you talk about JIC A2s that is a different story.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:23 PM

as i stated in my post
"your "truth" is just what you have heard. Although i am the seller, I have no reson to lie just to make 180 bucks...oooooh weeeee lets lie to some guy to make 180 bucks. im not that desperate for money..."

This is true, but you could have forewarned me man. I have no problems with you, but I would have appreciated it if you didn't make it out to be as though the GC's and struts were perfect, and there would be no issues. I do not have the money for problems, and you knew that. But whatever, it is all good.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:22 PM

This is true, but you could have forewarned me man. I have no problems with you, but I would have appreciated it if you didn't make it out to be as though the GC's and struts were perfect, and there would be no issues. I do not have the money for problems, and you knew that. But whatever, it is all good.
this is the last thing i'll say. I did not have many of the so called "problems" with my gc's. Therefore i wasnt lying. Have a nice day
Old 05-16-2004, 11:41 PM

Rob, this is just a discussion about suspension, no need to get all heated about it. Here man, peace offering.......

So anyways, here are facts about why I don't like GC:

They WILL void your lifetime warranty on any shock that you buy -

why do the manufactuers do this? Because the stroke is soo short with GC's, over works your suspension. Imagine cutting off half your spring and in place putting a metal collar that makes up for the slack. This is what GC's are. That is why I would not buy them or would not reccomend them to anyone.

Have I ever owned a set of GC's? Hell no.

To the guy that has started this post: sorry that your question was kind of ignored so that we could argue, but just take whatever we say and use your best judgement (as well as a lot of what is said on internet message boards).

Cheers, I'm out.........

Bryan
Old 05-17-2004, 12:43 AM

Holy crap, there's a lot of misinformation here.

First, I use a set of GCs on my CRX.
I have ridden in a Maxima with GCs.
I have your conventional strut/shock combo (i've had both the eibach and currently the max speed).

Next, Spring = GC. GC = Spring. GC's are made up of a sleeve, and a SPRING. it's the SAME thing.

Ground Controls (aka sleeved "coilovers")
They ride rougher because you are getting a generic spring for it. You can get SOFTER springs for your GCs...as well as STIFFER. That's the BEAUTY of having GCs. Interchangable springs! I have a full set of 180lb, ID 2.5, free lenght 7" springs for GCs...I believe the generic setup for Maximas are around 250lb+. Want a softer ride, get a softer spring. Not overly difficult. In the Maxima, it was kinda a rough ride for a daily driver. If it was me, i would have opted for softer springs. That's another great thing. If i had GCs in my Maxima and the springs were the same ID... i could swap the springs i have in my CRX with the ones in my Maxima, without a problem (except the spring rate). Doesn't matter what strut/shock you go with (except Konis need a special adapter for the GCs to work)...down lower it too much and you won't have to worry about bottoming out your struts/shocks.
Only downside is, you have to get the ride height even all around.

Spring/Strut Combo
you get one set spring rate. you get one set ride height. no brainer. Cheaper than GC and far less involved. install springs, drive around, enjoy. no real adjustments (unless you have different struts/shocks).

"True" coilover
costs the most and typically has the most adjustments. More of a bling item, since most people will never fully benefit from the added features. "true" coilovers are for that additional (although minute) advantage over the competition... since I don't know of a single road raced prepped maxima on this board, and very very few COMPETITIVE autocross prepped Maximas... "true" coilovers are overkill or for show only.
Plus, it takes some level of skill to tune it properly so you don't kill yourself by making it too tail happy.

My opinion, go with the spring/strut combo. it works just fine. If you go with the GCs, get a softer spring rate.. it'll ride a little softer.
Old 05-17-2004, 12:53 AM

why do the manufactuers do this? Because the stroke is soo short with GC's, over works your suspension. Imagine cutting off half your spring and in place putting a metal collar that makes up for the slack. This is what GC's are. That is why I would not buy them or would not reccomend them to anyone.
stroke? anytime you lower your car, you reduce the stroke of the shock piston. so, that's not GC specific.

Also, the only time the GC is going to be detrimental to the shock is if it's installed improperly, where the spring places lateral pressure to the shock body during compression.

Funny, A LOT of road racers, autocrossers, drag racers use GCs. A LOT.

how many have had issues? few.

If GC's were the hell spawn that you people make them out to be, they wouldn't be on the market for as long as they were, and they definitely wouldn't have the backing from the racing community that they do.

by the way, I love my GCs. 400F/500R springs... also made extended top hats for the shocks to get back some of my lost piston travel when i lowered it. helped the shocks from bottoming out...

Quick Reply: Ground control coilovers... Any good?