5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Reformulated Gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004 | 01:24 PM

Reformulated Gas

I'd like to know from the California drivers that if they have had any problems using the mandated gasoline. Here in Louisiana we are fixing to have to use this stuff and I'm concerned about engine damage.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2004 | 03:29 PM

We had to use reformulated Gas when in lived in Maine. Never caused any problems but there was a noticeable loss in performance and gas mileage. Then there were issues with water contamination from the additive MTBE. After a lot of controversy and lawsuits, regular gas was brought back to the pumps.
Old 05-19-2004 | 03:38 PM

Crap, I had no knowledge of this. California sucks dong! Maybe that's why my times have been off lately.
Old 05-19-2004 | 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roymg
I'd like to know from the California drivers that if they have had any problems using the mandated gasoline. Here in Louisiana we are fixing to have to use this stuff and I'm concerned about engine damage.

Thanks
MTBE kills rubber fuel lines. Shortly after we switched to this reformulated gas I noticed a drop in performance and economy. At the time I had a 87 Buick Grand National with a after market inline external secondary fuel pump (noisy) and the MTBE ate right through the rubber lines on either side of the pump throwing gas right onto the exhaust. My Ford truck at the time would go through rubber hoses quicker than normal. I used to change the fuel filter(rubber hose from fuel line to filter) every 4 months or so. Each time I would change it you could tell rubber was all eaten up in the inside. One time it leaked pretty bad. All 76 stations are MTBE free in California. I believe only their race gas could still contain MTBE.

My buddy who is a mechanic tells me this gas in California is just crap, doesn't burn clean and leaves all kinds of deposits. It also loves to leave deposits in plastic intake manifolds. Some of the smaller GM V8's like the 5.3 get really bad deposits on the pistons and causes piston slap. The knocking noise from the piston slap makes you swear it is a rod knock. The Techron fuel system cleaner gets rid of alot of the deposits and also makes the knocking noise go away on 5.3 engines. No this isn't a plug for "Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner"

Dave
02 Maxima SE
85 El Camino w/Turbo V6 swap
Old 05-20-2004 | 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by SEDaveMax
MTBE kills rubber fuel lines. Shortly after we switched to this reformulated gas I noticed a drop in performance and economy. At the time I had a 87 Buick Grand National with a after market inline external secondary fuel pump (noisy) and the MTBE ate right through the rubber lines on either side of the pump throwing gas right onto the exhaust. My Ford truck at the time would go through rubber hoses quicker than normal. I used to change the fuel filter(rubber hose from fuel line to filter) every 4 months or so. Each time I would change it you could tell rubber was all eaten up in the inside. One time it leaked pretty bad. All 76 stations are MTBE free in California. I believe only their race gas could still contain MTBE.

My buddy who is a mechanic tells me this gas in California is just crap, doesn't burn clean and leaves all kinds of deposits. It also loves to leave deposits in plastic intake manifolds. Some of the smaller GM V8's like the 5.3 get really bad deposits on the pistons and causes piston slap. The knocking noise from the piston slap makes you swear it is a rod knock. The Techron fuel system cleaner gets rid of alot of the deposits and also makes the knocking noise go away on 5.3 engines. No this isn't a plug for "Chevron with Techron fuel system cleaner"

Dave
02 Maxima SE
85 El Camino w/Turbo V6 swap

Thanks for the information..does not sound good. Is there an additive other than the Techron that one can get to help out with this problem?