5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Driver's Side Windows - AUTO UP Not working correctly. It goes up and comes down 3in

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Driver's Side Windows - AUTO UP Not working correctly. It goes up and comes down 3in

I have a 2000 Maxima with a small problem. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

When I hit the auto up on my power window on the driver's side...it goes up to the top and comes down 3 inches! I can manually roll it up. The dealership told me I probably need a new regulator! I DONT BELIEVE THEM!!!

Anyone have this happen to them?????

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! CAN I FIX IT ON MY OWN????
Old 05-21-2004, 04:48 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by ewb110
I have a 2000 Maxima with a small problem. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

When I hit the auto up on my power window on the driver's side...it goes up to the top and comes down 3 inches! I can manually roll it up. The dealership told me I probably need a new regulator! I DONT BELIEVE THEM!!!

the same thing sort of happens to me...but mine only goes up a few inches then goes back down to where it started. ive resorted to just holding the button to bring it all the way up. id be curious to know if anyone has any insight

and on the topic of windows...why does it seem like my window motors are really weak and arent getting enough power?
Old 05-21-2004, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
the same thing sort of happens to me...but mine only goes up a few inches then goes back down to where it started. ive resorted to just holding the button to bring it all the way up. id be curious to know if anyone has any insight

and on the topic of windows...why does it seem like my window motors are really weak and arent getting enough power?

I had this problem on my front passenger side window. I brought it in the first time and they adjusted something in the door. That fixed it for about a day then I brought it back and they replaced a part that guides the window in the track or something to that effect. They had told me that if it came back they would have to replace the window motor but it has been fine for almost a year now. I also had a problem with my driver side window that was making a grinding sound and thety ended up replacing the window motor.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:06 AM

I have the same problem with my passenger side window. When I took it in, the dealership saw my aftermarket LCD and stereo and told me my electrical system was messed up and then tried to charge me $2600. I got outta there and never went back. Moral of the story: be careful if you have aftermarket stuff, yes, even a stereo.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The window motor senses resistance. Just like garage door openers do, when it is going up on auto and something gets stuck in the path (like your fingers) it will go back down a few inches to protect against injury.
Clean the tracts on either side of the window. I've also heard of people here and the dealer using silicone spray in the track and moldings to help fix this problem. Also sometimes it may need to relearn the stop point for the window, you can do this by helping the window up after you hit the auto button.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:19 AM

I have the same problem. It first started on the passenger window and then yesterday the same thing started happening on the driver side. It's crazy! I'm going to bring it in next week. I'll see what they tell me.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The front door window limit switch may just have to be reset. First, remove the door trim. Once it's off, you should be able to see a little switch above and to the left of the speaker. Roll the window all the way up (don't use the auto up feature!) and then depress the switch. Then roll it all the way down (once again, don't use the auto down feature) while still depressing the switch. Release the switch once it's all the way down and then roll the window back up. Hopefully from that point on your auto up/down should work as advertised. If not, it may very well be the regulator...
Old 05-21-2004, 06:00 PM

Just started having the same exact problem too. I have an 02 still under warranty. I will try the dealer and if they don't know I'll suggest they try DanL's fix. I would do it myself but as I said it's still under waranty.
It doesn't happen all the time which makes it even stranger.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It Worked Danl!!! Maxima Genius!

He was right....

FOR ALL WHO FIND THIS THREAD HERE'S THE DIRECTIONS:

1.) Remove 3 screws

- Remove grey button under mirror. Remove Screw.
- Remove casing behind dor handing (becareful). Remove screw.
- In handle in door remove black button. Remove Screw. Remove tray.

2.) Take a wide tool and start at the hinge and pop off door panel. Every 4-5 inches there's a pop-off. Go the whole way to the latch. About 6-7 pop-offs.

3.) Lift up on the panel....any presto.

4.) Remove plastic layer to the left of the speaker (dont worry about the glue) it resticks.

5.) Look for a rubber button outlined in red. (about 3-4 inches left of the speaker).

6.) Roll the window the whole way up (dont use auto-up feature).

7.) Press and hold button.

8.) Roll the window down. (dont use autodown feature).

9.) When the window is down let go of the button.

10.) Roll the window up manually and down manually (no auto feature).

11.) NOW ROLL-UP USING AUTO FEATURE AND PRESTO FIXED!!!!

GIVE IT UP TO DANL!!!!
Old 05-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cool beans! Glad to hear that's all it was.