5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sign me up for the Cattman....I think.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 10:03 AM

Pressure, pressure, pressure. What Y pipe to get. Been forced to rethink my thoughts on getting a complete Stillen system after reading some recent posts here and in the Group Deal Forum. Here is an interesting fact I never picked up on during any of my 50 or so cover to cover travels through the Stillen catalog....every part of their exhaust systems is made of T304 stainless steel EXCEPT the Y pipe. It is made of chrome plated mild steel. Hmmmm. So of course now I have some questions.

1. Is their any benefit to stainless steel other than corrosion resistance? I don't drive the car in the Winter anyway. I find it strange that this is the only piece in Stillen's system that is not stainless steel.

2. What's the deal with this "hissing" noise from the Stillen pipe? Is it due to the flex pipe? How pronounced is it?

3. What's the deal with this supposed cracking of Cattman pipes? I assume this is more likely with them since they do not have a section of flex pipe. Do you basically have to choose between a pipe that hisses or one that runs the risk of cracking? Doesn't Cattman's pipe carry a lifetime warranty?

***EDIT*** I just went to Cattman's site and saw that their pipe has a couple of slip joints which should effectively substitite the flex pipe.

As usual thanks for the info. Unless I see something earth-shattering posted in this thread today I think I will give Brian a call tomorrow. I hope we get ten.

[Edited by Albertan on 09-24-2000 at 12:11 PM]
Old 09-24-2000, 04:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Post a reply . . .

and let us know what Brian has to say about the welds cracking.

I understand that the hissing is much less with the current generation of Stillen Y-pipes. If you want to read a review of someone who just installed one, check out:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=3016

I live in Southern California, so I'm not too concerned about stainless steel either. Still, it would be good to know why Stillen uses chrome-plated mild steel instead of stainless. I assume it's probably to keep the cost down, but I'll ask next time I talk to them.
Old 09-24-2000, 05:05 PM

Re: Post a reply . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
and let us know what Brian has to say about the welds cracking.
I can talk to him tomorrow when I place my order, but I never really heard about it before. So I'll prolly look like the village idiot bringing it up. What is the history of this cracking problem?
Old 09-24-2000, 05:11 PM

I don't know for certain, Albertan . . .

Check out PIONEER's post at:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=2736
Old 09-24-2000, 09:35 PM

Re: I don't know for certain, Albertan . . .

Originally posted by y2kse
Check out PIONEER's post at:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=2736
Allright Guys.. don't put me on the bubble. I've heard 2 stories from Guys who purhcased the SS when the 2K first came out last year and the welds cracked on them after some use. I won't mention who's pipe it was but it was somone on this forum and the pipe was a prototype. Its been a while since that happined but I just wanna make sure if it does again, 1) they'll replace my pipe under warranty 2) They give me my money back. Just wanna make sure I doesn't happin to me. Been thinking about a Y-pipe for a while so I wanna make sure when I do get one I don't break the damn thing.. I'm sure it was a New pipe WOES and I'm sure Cattman has everything under control, thats why I'm not too worried about the cracks just being cautions I guess. OK GUYS Lets make this deal go through..
Old 09-24-2000, 09:55 PM

Hang on a second, PIONEER . . .

Did you check out MAXT OUT's post in the Group Deals section? Obviously he had a problem with a Cattman Y-pipe. He's looking for a way to post pics to a thread. I don't know how to do that, but obviously you do. Maybe you could help him out so we could all see what he's talking about.

Thanks.