5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Sun Shade

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 07:33 AM

Sun Shade

This probably sounds ghetto, but for those of us without a garage, esp. near work - what sort of Sunshade do you use to keep the sun off your dash and the temp in your car down?

Any recommendations for a type of sunshade or a place where I can buy one? I want one that will fit the Maxima windshield exactly.

I've found one on Courtesy Nissan for $27.00, but I'm not sure if it's top notch.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:50 AM

You can find a nice one for cheaper than that. I've got a pretty good one for about half that. I think you can find them at Wal-mart, etc. It's all silver (not the cardboard kind). Does the job nicely. I can tell a difference in temp when I use it.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:22 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Try Here

I have ordered mine for my Maxima and my wifes Focus here. Lasted GREAT over 3 years and I still use em.

www.canvasworks.com

Also call

800/777-6405 Bruce Perch

if you want more detailed information. They are about 25 bucks a piece if you order more than 1. I got a front and a REAR and they work GREAT...trust me.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:41 AM

CanvasWorks looks good BUT

But they don't have any pictures. It's not the cheap Wal-Mart stuff is it? I've had a Wal-Mart one for a year now and it sucks. It's been the worst waste of money ever.

Those Heat Shields look like the ones on Courtesy Parts. Is it the same stuff? Does your heat shield roll up for storage? And how thick is it? I don't want anything too cheap...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...duct_Code=NS53

Thanks for your Help!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by MrClemson8
But they don't have any pictures. It's not the cheap Wal-Mart stuff is it? I've had a Wal-Mart one for a year now and it sucks. It's been the worst waste of money ever.

Those Heat Shields look like the ones on Courtesy Parts. Is it the same stuff? Does your heat shield roll up for storage? And how thick is it? I don't want anything too cheap...

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...duct_Code=NS53

Thanks for your Help!
It looks the same from the picture. Yes both of mine roll up for storage. These are not el cheapo's. They are very durable and long lasting and to a VERY good job of keeping the sun out of the window. Plus mine (any ordered via canvascovers) are custom made to fit each window....its not universal. Courtesy might be sub ordering them from canvascraft...dunno.

The one I ordered for the back is supposed to "velcro" onto the window with velcro tabs that stick on the window. I dont do that as I have tint. I just tuck the top in under the headliner and it stays up w/o any problems.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 AM

I've got two types, both made by Axius (autozone + anywhere else): 1)the folding one with lonney tunes one the front and silver backing...I put the silver backing facing out. 2) they also make one out of nylon with a grey backing that you fold (springs) out into two rectangular "sheets," Magic shades. They do a decent job of keeping the light out and the temp a bit lower.

At work, depending on how the sun hits the car, I also put two magic shades on the side windows that the sun is hitting....Call me ****....
Old 05-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

When I leave my car at the train station during the day, my trick is parking under the trees. Now only if I could keep the bird crap off.... hehe
Old 05-27-2004, 08:14 PM
DAP

The canvasworks is what the dealer sells. I have been using them for years and am satisfied with them. There custom made for each vehicle, not one size fits all.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:57 AM

think about window tinting too.. i usually park outside on the drivway... and i have noticed a huge different after i tinted my window. used metallic tinit and it reflect almost 40% of the heat, so i was told.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Oh yea clemson, definately tint your windows. Find out what the legal limit is for tinting in your area is. It makes a huge difference.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrClemson8
This probably sounds ghetto, but for those of us without a garage, esp. near work - what sort of Sunshade do you use to keep the sun off your dash and the temp in your car down?

Any recommendations for a type of sunshade or a place where I can buy one? I want one that will fit the Maxima windshield exactly.

I've found one on Courtesy Nissan for $27.00, but I'm not sure if it's top notch.

Thanks!
It does not sound "ghetto" at all. I use a covercraft UVS 100 for my car when I park it at work.
http://www.covercraft.com/windshield_heat_shield.htm