5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ironic....dealer won't fix my rotors....

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 01:00 PM

After I was so vocal about how the dealer should do the rotor TSB under warranty, it's now my turn to get burned. Dealer tells me my aftermarket wheels were over-torqued and they won't do the work under warranty. America's Tire put them on after I had the tires replaced a couple of months ago and I never checked them.

What a pain in the butt. Any ideas how I might try to get out of this one?
Old 03-27-2001, 01:12 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

If you still have your stockers... slap them back on and go to another dealer. If you don't have your stockers... borrow some?
Old 03-27-2001, 01:30 PM

Good idea....

I do have my stockers. Do you know if the dealers are connected to the same computer network -- i.e. will the new dealer know I was just denied this repain under warranty at the previous dealer?
Old 03-27-2001, 01:33 PM

Bummer!

I believe that you can still make a case to get the rotors replaced. Just ask them how they know the lug nuts were overtorqued. Most places just take them off with an air gun. They only way they can really know is to measure it with a torque wrench. An air gun is unreliable because it could be a bad gun, low air pressure, etc. And “it felt tight” is pure BS.

LOL.
Old 03-27-2001, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Redline
After I was so vocal about how the dealer should do the rotor TSB under warranty, it's now my turn to get burned. Dealer tells me my aftermarket wheels were over-torqued and they won't do the work under warranty. America's Tire put them on after I had the tires replaced a couple of months ago and I never checked them.

What a pain in the butt. Any ideas how I might try to get out of this one?
Well that just sucks! I remembered that before I took them to the dealar. Checked the torque of all the wheels the night before. Good thing too, the pass. side wheels were overtorqued! But I think kev had the right ideas. Just put the stock wheels back on and try another dealar. Maybe it'll work. If not, your no worse than you are now. All the other dealar can say is "no"

Try that and see how that works. If they still say no, maybe try and get some money out of the people who overtorqued them. It's their fault according to Nissan, so maybe that'll work (last resort though)

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2001, 03:03 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I don't believe they have their computers networked in such a way that they can easily find you. I've been to a few dealers and they've all asked for my info (when they typed my name in, no file came up). Good luck!
Old 03-27-2001, 03:47 PM

What you need to do is get something in writing from the dealer you origionally took it to about the wheels being over-tourqued. Take that to the tire place. Nobody cares what you "say". They only care about what is in writing. Discount tire stripped my wheel stud while putting on my wheels. The dealer told me the same thing. I got a certified letter from the dealer about what was wrong and why they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I took that to discount and they gave me some hassle, but the problem got fixed.

Funny situation though