5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I just won a 2003 Maxima On Ebay!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 01:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ihavea5spd
good lord. $15,500 is a great price for that car. ooooh salvage title!!! bfd, people. you guys act like you can't legally own a salvage title car. and what's this about not being able to insure it? huh? statements like that show how little you know about salvage title cars.
Who said you can't legally own it? The question has been raised on not whether you could, but rather if you should. Sometimes you can truly get great deals on a car with a salvaged title, but its a chance you take. The price she's paying for the car is far from a steal. Had I been in this situation, I would have walked away as soon as I heard that the reason for the salvaged title is "light" damage to the front end. Insurance company will not total a car for 2k-3k worth of damage, hell sometimes they wont total it for 9k, so something doesn't seem right. This is just my opinion, but maxima in general is a nice car, and I wish her the best of luck with it.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:16 PM

GET HAMY'S CAR......for 18,000 you get so much you can even make some money off of it....you can sell some mods.......
Old 05-31-2004, 01:40 PM

she doesn't wanna buy one that some one else has built or worked on never has never will she likes to do her own thing and build it how she likes. And plus for 15,500 it's way less than a dealer and most private sellers and it's a 2k3. Thank you ihavea5spd it is a great price and many factors play in on a salvage title.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

and what's this about not being able to insure it? huh? statements like that show how little you know about salvage title cars.
come on man, be careful what you say and how you say it- all you show is how little YOU know about cars like this

my insurance company will not insure a salvaged titled vehicle with anything more than liability... for obvious reasons, If I had a salvage titled car with my insurance, I cannot get full coverage insurance on it
Old 05-31-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by azmaxipad
2Salvage title does not mean totalled it can mean a variable of different things. if a car is in a flood and purchased at an auction SALVAGE that car was never totalled. In california a theft recovery car that the owner doesn't want back SALVAGE. there are many variables. If a customer gets in an accident then decides not to fix it and sells it to a shop SALVAGE. The carfax is clean minus the accident. 1 owner no auctions then to the body shop who is selling it right now. In the future if my GF wants to get rid of it sell it as a private party and not hastle with trading it in. She won the auction for $15,500 we've talked to the owner very nice guy. Yes it's a salvage big f'nin deal. I mean all she was posting was to get some feedback and it turned into a hate session Like take it to a junkyard where it belongs. I mean come on guys it's a 2k3 for way less than if you were to go buy one from a dealer. He told us too that all the factory warranties are still being recognized and that if she wants she can buy a 1yr extended warranty on the vehicle. Who knows how many cars out there have been wrecked but not reported or the body shop was paid off to keep a clean title. No one knows the hole truth about a car.
Here's what California DMV says about salvaged vehicles:

(a) A vehicle, other than a nonrepairable vehicle, of a type subject to registration that has been wrecked, destroyed, or damaged, to ( ) the extent that the owner, leasing company, financial institution, or the insurance company that insured or is responsible for repair of the vehicle, considers it uneconomical to repair the vehicle and because of this, the vehicle is not repaired by or for the person who owned the vehicle at the time of the event resulting in damage.

(b) A vehicle that was determined to be uneconomical to repair, for which a total loss payment has been made by an insurer, whether or not the vehicle is subsequently repaired, if prior to or upon making the payment to the claimant, the insurer obtains the agreement of the claimant to the amount of the total loss settlement, and informs the client that, pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 11515, the total loss settlement must be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles, which will issue a salvage certificate for the vehicle.

Perhaps it was stolen and later recovered with minor damage after the insurance company had already paid for the lost. But the chances of that probably aren't great. Reread the Ebay ad again. Maybe it's just because I'm on the outside looking in, but something doesn't sound right, especially if they resort to claims and statements like these:

"In most cases salvage title vehicles are in better condition due to the full inspection of the vehicle prior to resell."

"Keep in mind 6 out of 10 vehicles on the road TODAY have had some type of accident damage and been repaired; in addition; keep in mind that you will be driving the vehicle not the title. When you are racing down the HIGHWAY; NO ONE IS GOING TO STOP YOU TO ASK IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS A SALVAGE TITLE; OUR VEHICLES ARE IN GREAT CONDITION."

"PLEASE DO NOT BID IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH REBUILT VEHICLES..."

Also, if it's been repaired to pristine condition, why is it being sold as-is with not so much as a 30-day warranty?

Look, all that those in this forum are trying to do make sure you two go in with both eyes open. Perhaps it really has been restored to mint condition and maybe it will end up being a great car. But don't fool yourselves into believing you've made a steal. Both Kelly Blue Book and NADA typically value rebuilt salvaged vehicles at 1/3 retail which means $7K to $8K and when/if it comes time to sell it, that big "SALVAGE" lettering on the title is going make even private buyers very wary. Good luck ... I really do hope it works out and you can later come back and tell us what fools we were for being leary.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:25 PM

I hate to say this, but this car definitely does have more damage that what they have said.

After reviewing the pictures and zooming in with a friend who OWNS a body shop, there appears to have been a severe rear-end collision and frontal. This would explain the salvage title. Reason I say this is all new cars, especially Nissans have the VIN stickers on each body panel of the car exposed so anyone can see. It would be on the doors, the rear panels, the trunk panel, the hood near the latch part, the fenders naer the edges of the strut towers, the trunk near the latch. This car has none of these. So these are replaced parts. I hate to say this, but I suggest you walk away from this car. You may believe the guy, but we are telling you FROM experience and are trying to help you.

Also the back drivers side window and rear window have different tint than the rest of the car. The passenger side looks equal on the tint. Looks to me the rear was hit so hard it destroyed the rear window and left rear door windows.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:36 PM

Just to add to this,

As for factory warranty, its true it may be voided, but again.. Given that NIssan dealerhips are already @ss holes about fixing stock normal maximas, what would happen when you take the car in for some problems you are having. It doesnt take that long to find that the car was in an accident.

Once this happens, Nissan can just tell you they will not validate any warranty work as the damage was NOT caused by a manufacturer defect, but because of previous damage from accidents therefore causing a failure.

Given that there are lots of parts on a maxima that is EXTREMELY expensive, you may be saving a few thousand, but if you have problems down the road, say good buy to realizing the initial savings you had.

I know, I WROTE OF MY 2k2 MAXIMA. THe body shop said they could fix it brand new, and sure i believed them but it was WRITTEN OFF by my insurance because of the elctrical wiring damage, and HID's, and possible frame damage.

I feel sorry for whoever buys my old 2k2, because they will be suffering badly!!

Here are pics
http://members.cardomain.com/minirx07
Old 05-31-2004, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by DanL
Look, all that those in this forum are trying to do make sure you two go in with both eyes open.

Please be careful.

ARFF
Old 05-31-2004, 05:14 PM

Maximagirl and Azmaxipad, you are smart in posting in this forum to solicit unbiased opinion. Like the game show where you ask the audience for help, 99% of the time you will get the right answer. The audience here has overwhelmingly suggested that you walk away from the deal. Heed their advice before you get yourself into deeper trouble.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:17 PM

Just remember, you get what you pay for and sometimes less.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:24 PM
retired moderator

I've seen loaded 2k3s with similar mileage at dealers in this area for about 16-17K...and they are not salvages.

There's a reason its on ebay....because they cannot sell it to anyone who actually can physically go and SEE the car.

Ebay's fine for small things, but come on! A car is a big, complicated piece of machinery. For 1-2K more you can have total peace of mind by buying it at a dealer or a local private party. Isn't that worth it?
Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Listen you two love birds.. you bought the damn car, just go for long drive and enjoy it. if it breaks down.. just take turns calling in sick for work and take it to the shop.
Most of the people on the org are really picky. They like their cars to be MINT and they don't like taking chances. Thats why almost 90% of us on the org disagree on buying a salvage car. We are NOT hating, we are just DIRECTLY telling you its a risk .. thats all.
None of us are haters here, we are like a big happy maxima family here. Always here to help.

Now if you decide to keep the car, great, clean it, mod it, take high resolution pics and post em up.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:07 PM

good lord. $15,500 is a great price for that car. ooooh salvage title!!! bfd, people. you guys act like you can't legally own a salvage title car. and what's this about not being able to insure it? huh? statements like that show how little you know about salvage title cars.
Couldn't help but notice the following:

1. You're the only one in this thread who believes this is a great deal (other than the buyer and her bf of course).

2. You just joined the org.

Are you the seller on Ebay? Go spread your deceptions elsewhere.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by housecor
Couldn't help but notice the following:

1. You're the only one in this thread who believes this is a great deal (other than the buyer and her bf of course).

2. You just joined the org.

Are you the seller on Ebay? Go spread your deceptions elsewhere.
actually, i've been a member here for a long time. i am jjames, and would post under that name if i could. for some reason i can't log in under that name, and all of the emails i send to .org support go unanswered. this has happened more than once. i had to sign up under another name, and now i can't use that one either. i have WELL over 1,000 posts, and have been around for a while. i have even hosted how - to's (still do) to save others bandwidth.

SO PLEASE DON'T TRY TO BE CONDESCENDING AND TREAT ME LIKE SOME NEWBIE.

i am now on my 3rd freaking screen name because nobody will answer my m'er f'en email regarding this.

any way. she has already purchased the car and is excited about it. it is unlikely that she is going to walk away from the deal. so let's show a little support.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:35 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally Posted by azmaxipad
In the future if my GF wants to get rid of it sell it as a private party and not hastle with trading it in.
Good luck. Selling it private party will be even harder.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman777

Not only that but given that it is a salvaged title you can't get full coverage on the car. No ins co will touch it. You wreck it, it's your problem and out of your pocket to fix it. I'd be suprized if Nissan will even warranty the drive train anymore.

The car was acutioned off by the ins co and fixed by the buyer then acutioned to you. They may have even fixed the car with parts from another totaled car.

You can get full coverage on a car with a salvage title.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:39 PM

in case you don't believe me, i am the guy who has hosted the fc stage 2 install.

http://www.gohome1.com/Documents/fcstage2install.pdf

btw, love the spring comparo page you did. it's helped me make a decision re: springs and struts.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:41 PM

Assuming she has already bought and paid for the car, I am wondering whether she would get a refund (if that is what she decides to do) because the seller made a gross misrepresentation as to the condition of the car? Can she get the attorney general or the better business bureau involved?
Old 05-31-2004, 06:56 PM

I hope you are going to pay cash for the car most banks will not loan but half of w/s book on the car witch is what it's worth and you can't get full cov ins on it with a salvage title so watch out for that and why is it a salvage title with jest minor damage beware of this car it might be a good car but not for that money sorry to be like this but it is the truth
Old 05-31-2004, 09:37 PM

I think you could have gotten a local 6 speed for that price
Old 06-01-2004, 05:28 AM

actually, i've been a member here for a long time. i am jjames, and would post under that name if i could. for some reason i can't log in under that name, and all of the emails i send to .org support go unanswered. this has happened more than once. i had to sign up under another name, and now i can't use that one either. i have WELL over 1,000 posts, and have been around for a while. i have even hosted how - to's (still do) to save others bandwidth.

SO PLEASE DON'T TRY TO BE CONDESCENDING AND TREAT ME LIKE SOME NEWBIE.

i am now on my 3rd freaking screen name because nobody will answer my m'er f'en email regarding this.

any way. she has already purchased the car and is excited about it. it is unlikely that she is going to walk away from the deal. so let's show a little support.
My apologies...and sympathies! I remember reading about your SN change a while back. Org management, or lack thereof, continues to be a huge annoyance. Just look at how long search has been down.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:48 AM

Congrats on the new car. It looks pretty good, sucks that everyone is hating on you, but as long as you like your new car who cares what everyone else thinks. Enjoy the ride and the best thing to do now is just forget about it and stop looking at other cars as you will always find a better deal. I was the same way when I bought my max 3 months ago and the only way I felt better was to stop looking at other max's for sale. Just enjoy what you got and don't listen to anyone else's opinion because yours is the only one that matters!!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:31 AM

I'm not certain I'd buy a repaired-salvage 5.5G for $16G when I could get regular used one (maybe 2002, not 2003) for about that price (sans leather & bose). Especially not through Ebay, where I cant try the car ahead of time. (Anything else through Ebay is no biggie.)

I hope you have good luck with it. Ideally, a competent shop repaired it AND the seller isnt jerking you, maximagirl.

Peace.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 AM

It is a big deal. I have a vehicle with a salvage title, but I don't plan on selling it anytime and I got a great deal on it. As far as insurance goes, you obviously don't understand the premise of insurance valuation. A car with this type of title is worth 50% less than KBB, thus for the insurance company its a bad risk, full coverage is only gonna pay for that value not "Your Deemed value"
Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by nadeemp8
Congrats on the new car. It looks pretty good, sucks that everyone is hating on you, but as long as you like your new car who cares what everyone else thinks. Enjoy the ride and the best thing to do now is just forget about it and stop looking at other cars as you will always find a better deal. I was the same way when I bought my max 3 months ago and the only way I felt better was to stop looking at other max's for sale. Just enjoy what you got and don't listen to anyone else's opinion because yours is the only one that matters!!
Arrg. I can't stand this anymore. "Hating on you" is not a real phrase!! It needs to be burried with whatever rap video you heard it from. There has got to be a way to filter this from people's posts.
As for all the opinions., well; this is a FORUM, when you post here, you should be ready to face various opinions, some of which you may not like. If you haven't noticed, most posts were not mere criticism, but rather concern for her because of potential consequences buying such car may carry. If you want nothing but praise, post in the test forum!!!!!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:21 AM

Hey, I 'll throw in my 2 cents, car is way over priced for a salavage, you should of paid no more then 8K... but good luck to you and your car, and may you and your family members enjoy the car .. but you should really consider buying my civic 2001 ex coupe 45K , i'll sell that you to for 15K, my title and car is clean... c'mon ;-) you could really use the gas mileage.. :-)
Old 06-01-2004, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
Hey, I 'll throw in my 2 cents, car is way over priced for a salavage, you should of paid no more then 8K... but good luck to you and your car, and may you and your family members enjoy the car .. but you should really consider buying my civic 2001 ex coupe 45K , i'll sell that you to for 15K, my title and car is clean... c'mon ;-) you could really use the gas mileage.. :-)
Old 06-01-2004, 11:53 AM
Z

MaximaGirl...I hope you flake out on the payment. Get a negative on your eBay account, but you'll save yourself A LOT of trouble. Why didn't you purchase one of the cars here at the Org? Not a wise decision.

Also, the seller's eBay rating is a measely 40. Most of the time I see car sales, a seller's rating is like 1000+.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 PM

he is correct lol, you should just by maxima or civic, clean title, for 17k you get 2002 maxima se 20K miles, with projection lights so no hassel of stolen hid problems .. one owner... i'll just go downpayment on a acura tl 2004
Old 06-01-2004, 04:31 PM

I wouldnt have payed 16k!!! for a salvage max. You could have got a better deal if you kept shopping around. Ebay has tons of maximas and I know there is a better deal out there somewhere..... just my .02
Old 06-01-2004, 05:38 PM
imported_JIC_A33

sucker!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2004, 10:19 PM
meh

Originally Posted by SR20-TURBO
sucker!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!
It will be an expensive lesson.

Anyways, I hope she doesn't buy it and turn into one of those ppl that are constantly posting all the problems they have/are experienced/ing with the car, and what a pile it is, and why did she waste so much money on it? and why on earth they didn't buy a sensible, reliable civic instead?

Well, hope you plan on keeping it for a while!
Old 06-02-2004, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by -Red-
Who said you can't legally own it? The question has been raised on not whether you could, but rather if you should. Sometimes you can truly get great deals on a car with a salvaged title, but its a chance you take. The price she's paying for the car is far from a steal. Had I been in this situation, I would have walked away as soon as I heard that the reason for the salvaged title is "light" damage to the front end. Insurance company will not total a car for 2k-3k worth of damage, hell sometimes they wont total it for 9k, so something doesn't seem right. This is just my opinion, but maxima in general is a nice car, and I wish her the best of luck with it.
in fact my wife just wrecked my 2000 se max and the bill is allready up to 9 grand and AAA hasnt even slavaged it...they are gunna repair it.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
... i'll just go downpayment on a acura tl 2004
04 Acura TL = quality issues----->
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82628
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82663
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82212
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...ight=headliner

etc,....

Nice car but $35G for something that has more quality issues than my 02 Maxima, nah!!

sorry for the jack.