5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I just won a 2003 Maxima On Ebay!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 06:25 PM

I just won a 2003 Maxima On Ebay!

Check out this car that I just won on ebay, let me know what you think!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2479928863
Old 05-30-2004, 06:26 PM

Salvage title????????
Old 05-30-2004, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by schernov
Salvage title????????
Yes, the car was in a accident, and was fully repaired. You cannot even tell it is in a accident.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Decided against the rental?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:31 PM

the guy at the rental place was a cockass... and the bumper was repaired with a basic white not pearl and felt like sandpaper to the touch
Old 05-30-2004, 06:34 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by azmaxipad
the guy at the rental place was a cockass... and the bumper was repaired with a basic white not pearl and felt like sandpaper to the touch
he was a what?!?!?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:36 PM

dousche bag.... worse salesman I've dealt with
Old 05-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A salvage title car for $16gz? !?!?!?!?!?!
Old 05-30-2004, 07:23 PM

Salavage Title, Kind of expensive.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:29 PM

Is it me or the front driver side windows is tinted darker then the rear driver side window?

I suspect that the damange was to the front driver side.... it has an aftermarket battery, which for a 2003 is too fast .... and if it was legitimately dead - dealer would have put in a new Nissan one..

Other than the salvage title - looks good. Welcome to the ORG!!
Old 05-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Mauja He Mauja

man salvage for that much muaaaaa???but again it's your cow..congrats
Old 05-30-2004, 07:39 PM

okay I paid end up paying $15,500 for the car, long story.. The car was in accident it hit the front bumper that is all, the only thing that was replaced on the entire car was the hood, and the front bumper. everything else is flawless. everyone I told this to says I got a good deal!
Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 PM

looks good man just hope there is no chassis damage under the car that would be a *****. good luck and welcome.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Mauja He Mauja

what mikeI302k posted
Old 05-30-2004, 09:43 PM
tEh Hope

car looks very clean... visually. If everything is fine, you got a great deal! That's about $10K off what the owner probably paid and its only 1 year old.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:47 PM

Whoever said only the bumper was replaced is full of crap. A 1 yr. old car doesn't get a salvage title by getting in a minor fender bender involving a simple bumper replacement. How does a nearly new car get a salvage title? Well, it means it would be cheaper to buy the insured a new car then fix the damaged car. So, salvage=totaled in the eyes of the insurance company. This means: As a 2k3, it likely had HUGE amounts of damage. Think $10k+.

I hope they did a great job on the work, but don't be fooled. The car was "totaled" and has been repaired. I hope it works out to be reliable, but whoever told you it was a minor incident is being less than honest.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:17 PM
Z

Yeah, that is iffy. If the hood had to be replaced, as well as the front bumper cover, then there's possibly a bit more to this story than you're being told.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by housecor
Whoever said only the bumper was replaced is full of crap. A 1 yr. old car doesn't get a salvage title by getting in a minor fender bender involving a simple bumper replacement. How does a nearly new car get a salvage title? Well, it means it would be cheaper to buy the insured a new car then fix the damaged car. So, salvage=totaled in the eyes of the insurance company. This means: As a 2k3, it likely had HUGE amounts of damage. Think $10k+.

I hope they did a great job on the work, but don't be fooled. The car was "totaled" and has been repaired. I hope it works out to be reliable, but whoever told you it was a minor incident is being less than honest.

Not only that but given that it is a salvaged title you can't get full coverage on the car. No ins co will touch it. You wreck it, it's your problem and out of your pocket to fix it. I'd be suprized if Nissan will even warranty the drive train anymore.

The car was acutioned off by the ins co and fixed by the buyer then acutioned to you. They may have even fixed the car with parts from another totaled car.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Yeah, that is iffy. If the hood had to be replaced, as well as the front bumper cover, then there's possibly a bit more to this story than you're being told.
Front bumper cover, bumper supports, hood, radiator, head lights, left bank exaust manifold, heat sheilds... no telling what else.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:41 PM

ok the only reason it's on a salvage title is because the original owner didn't want the car after the accident so he sold it to a body shop on a salvaged title who inturn repaired the hood and front bumper and is now selling it. We talked to the guy about it he was upfront about the questions we asked too
Old 05-30-2004, 10:47 PM

Good luck when it comes time to sell it. Great deal if you plan on keeping it a long time.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Yeah, the damage might be minimal, but the resale will suck on it.

Have you seen it? Isn't it in Cali??
Old 05-31-2004, 04:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you plan to keep it a long time, it is a good deal. Just triple check and make sure everything works fine. A reputable shop can help you out.

Pedro
Old 05-31-2004, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by housecor

Old 05-31-2004, 05:29 AM

Did You CARFAX it?

Seems a bit much (more then just a bit much) for something salvaged.....
Old 05-31-2004, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by azmaxipad
ok the only reason it's on a salvage title is because the original owner didn't want the car after the accident so he sold it to a body shop on a salvaged title who inturn repaired the hood and front bumper and is now selling it. We talked to the guy about it he was upfront about the questions we asked too
I wouldn't buy that at all. The story or the car. 16k for a salvaged title and 30k in miles?!?!

Just looking through the For Sale forum here, cars with clear titles:

2002/27kmiles/$16,500
2002/42kmiles/$16,500
Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 AM

The title on that one would have scared me away. Like many others have said...who knows what happened to that car. PLUS the wrost part is...try trading that thing in at a dealership...with the salvage title its worth about half of book value.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:58 AM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Also you could have bought HAMY"S awesome maxima with all the mods for 17,500 or with the rims for like 18,500
-J
Old 05-31-2004, 07:33 AM

I am very suspicious of the sale. Personally, I would NEVER buy anything on e-bay (ok, may be a book where very little can go wrong), particularly a car where you cannot have an independent mechanic help you do a thorough inspection.

The salvage title means the insurance company considered the car total and that "junking" it is worth more than fixing it. Also, 30,000 miles with 75% thread on 16" tires? That does not sound right. The OEM tires are 17" tires and I doubt if you still have that much thread left unless ALL miles driven were highway. I have an 03 GLE, and I know I probably will have to change the OEM tires around 30k miles.

Lot's of luck on your purchase and hope that the guy who bought it on auction did a decent job fixing the car before selling it to you.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:50 AM

Are you getting any sort of warranty or anything with the car? If so, then I guess you can work with the car. But if they don't provide you with any type of warranty then I suggest you return the car and put couple of thousands more and buy a 2k2 or 2k3 max from a dealer. You are MUCH better off that way and you won't have any headache. (oh yeah, please stay away from SALVAGE titles). Once a car gets into an accident , it NEVER drives the same.

But just incase you decide to keep the car, GOODLUCK with it. And like the others said , welcome to the org.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:58 AM

i dont know about this one.. i just checked and 90% of the cars they sell on ebay have salvage titles.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 AM
I Miss My Maxima

To add to above posters, cars with salvage titles (which means they have been TOTALLED = repair costs MORE than the car is worth) are ineligible for factory or extended warranty, and cannot be insured by 90+% of auto insurers. Not only that, if you ever want to trade teh car or sell it, you have to disclose the title, and you will be hosed.

My advice: run, run far away, do NOT buy this car, stay FAR away. Send it to a junkyard where it belongs, or use it or parts. Buying this car for that price is a terrible idea and will result in great frustration now and in the future!
Old 05-31-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by schernov
Is it me or the front driver side windows is tinted darker then the rear driver side window?

I suspect that the damange was to the front driver side.... it has an aftermarket battery, which for a 2003 is too fast .... and if it was legitimately dead - dealer would have put in a new Nissan one..

Other than the salvage title - looks good. Welcome to the ORG!!
it just looks like they used 2 different brands of tint on the car that dont match at all...its possible its the same % just looks goofy as hell though
Old 05-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anything over 12k seems a bit much for this car. As many already mentioned, salvage title does mean totaled. So already they are lying to you by telling you it only had minor bumper damage. I'd take a hit in feedback rather then wasting so much money on sosmething that will most likely end up being a major headache.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:08 AM

Okay wow, I never thought I would have so many people turn against me about this car! I wanted to get some things off my chest, about the insurance thing I just called my agent and told her the situation. She told me I am able to to insure my car full coverage if I get the proper proof from the seller.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:35 AM

2 different tints comes from the fact that in California you can't have as dark tint up front as in the back. Salvage title does not mean totalled it can mean a variable of different things. if a car is in a flood and purchased at an auction SALVAGE that car was never totalled. In california a theft recovery car that the owner doesn't want back SALVAGE. there are many variables. If a customer gets in an accident then decides not to fix it and sells it to a shop SALVAGE. The carfax is clean minus the accident. 1 owner no auctions then to the body shop who is selling it right now. In the future if my GF wants to get rid of it sell it as a private party and not hastle with trading it in. She won the auction for $15,500 we've talked to the owner very nice guy. Yes it's a salvage big f'nin deal. I mean all she was posting was to get some feedback and it turned into a hate session Like take it to a junkyard where it belongs. I mean come on guys it's a 2k3 for way less than if you were to go buy one from a dealer. He told us too that all the factory warranties are still being recognized and that if she wants she can buy a 1yr extended warranty on the vehicle. Who knows how many cars out there have been wrecked but not reported or the body shop was paid off to keep a clean title. No one knows the hole truth about a car. Paralyse thnx for your feedback but every company we called on insurance will insure for full coverage given she provides proof of fixing and that the shop is reputable. And you said the warranties are void. That's not true either the factory warranties all still have time left on them we checked. And if wanted a 1 yr extended warranty can be purchased too. (like I said previously) but everyone on the org is free to there opinion.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:57 AM
Former Sponsor

its not and shouldnt be a hate session

buying a salvage title car for any reason is a tough decision, because lets say a buyer like me who wants to buy your car 3 years from now

I would never ever buy a salvage title car, under no circumstances

The salvage title could come from water damage, which means you have a good chance of having electrical problems forever, theft salvage, theres lots of potential for things missing, mis-matching key lock cylinders....

salvage is a pandora's box, and the price is a bit steep

wish you the best of luck but a salvage title car is a tough one to warranty, insure, and to sell
Old 05-31-2004, 12:58 PM

good lord. $15,500 is a great price for that car. ooooh salvage title!!! bfd, people. you guys act like you can't legally own a salvage title car. and what's this about not being able to insure it? huh? statements like that show how little you know about salvage title cars.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by mclee45
i dont know about this one.. i just checked and 90% of the cars they sell on ebay have salvage titles.
slap your source. that's not true.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:05 PM

we're just saying... salvage cars are unpredictable. Plus the price she paid is too much for a salvage tile. My family has one. my mom bought a 2000 corolla with a salvage title back in 2001 for $4000. We didnt care at that moment since my mom needed a car and it was cheap. we now regreted it since we keep bringing the car in for service. One thing after another keeps breaking. we're on our third transmission and the SES light kept going on every 3 or so months. with the amount we paid for the repairs, we could have bought a better car. As far as insurance go, any insurance company will insure a salvage car as long as its only liability. for full coverage, that depends on the insurance company.

Quick Reply: I just won a 2003 Maxima On Ebay!