5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ABS light ON - HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 03:38 AM

ABS light ON - HELP.

This morning my ABS light came on while I was driving. Also, I when I start the car I can hear, what I think is ABS self-test, small noise, almost like pressure building noise.

Any ideas?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 AM

No ABS experts? BUMP..
Old 06-01-2004, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by schernov
No ABS experts? BUMP..
No expert here but mine came on about 2 years ago. It stayed on for a couple of days and then went out. I took it in and had it checked but there were no stored codes. It has not come on like that since then.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
No expert here but mine came on about 2 years ago. It stayed on for a couple of days and then went out. I took it in and had it checked but there were no stored codes. It has not come on like that since then.
thanks. I got an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Just stopped by Autozone, and they hooked up the code reader, but no codes came up. Strange.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:19 AM

Same deal with me two weeks ago. It came/stayed on when I turned the car on one day but hasnt happened since.

Seeing the writing on the wall, I didnt bother taking it in to Nissan as "I know" no codes will come up. Typical Nissan production ghost.

Eh, car still runs great.

Peace.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 AM

It will eventually throw a code later. I had the same problem last week and I took it in for service. It was my speed sensor that went bad which not only it lit up the ABS light but also the TCS and SLIP lights also and disabled my LSD.
My luck, my warrenty just expired about 2 months ago. $380 installed. Do not wait any longuer as it might damage your LSD if you have one.

Good luck
Old 06-01-2004, 12:03 PM

I encounter the same problems with the ABS light but it only seems to happen right after I've washed my car. I'll be driving and I will need to hit the brakes for a stop and the ABS kicks in, brake pedal vibration and all; light comes on shortly after this. Once I turn the car off, the light goes away. No codes found by the dealer. They told me I need to take it in while the light is still on. That's bit inconvenient though.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by spastic
I encounter the same problems with the ABS light but it only seems to happen right after I've washed my car. I'll be driving and I will need to hit the brakes for a stop and the ABS kicks in, brake pedal vibration and all; light comes on shortly after this. Once I turn the car off, the light goes away. No codes found by the dealer. They told me I need to take it in while the light is still on. That's bit inconvenient though.
Interesting comment about wasing! I just washed it yesterday...scrubbed the wheels and everything.....did not drive it until this morning and BAM...light came on. I wonder if one of the sensors got water in it or something...
Old 06-01-2004, 12:38 PM

Just checked my service manual, I'm pretty sure you need a consult II to read codes from ABS. They can't be read by an OBDII scanner like they use at autozone. Need to go to dealer.

Some codes are permanent, some will clear if the condition clears.

On my other car (not a Nissan), I can blink out the codes which turned out to be a ABS motor / actuator. $900 new just for the part, I ended up fixing it myself.

You should be under warranty though, this is a dealer issue, let them figure it out.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:53 PM

thanks. I got an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. Just stopped by Autozone, and they hooked up the code reader, but no codes came up. Strange.
You're welcome. Hopefully yours will be the same as mine was.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by lv2dmax
It will eventually throw a code later. I had the same problem last week and I took it in for service. It was my speed sensor that went bad which not only it lit up the ABS light but also the TCS and SLIP lights also and disabled my LSD.
My luck, my warrenty just expired about 2 months ago. $380 installed. Do not wait any longuer as it might damage your LSD if you have one.

Good luck
If by LSD, you mean limited-slip differential, then you won't damage it because you don't have one in your car.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:00 PM

in my case this happened: i bought the car with the light on. Few weeks later I went to the dealer to check it out, he said it'd be $75 just to check it. I said screw that. Week later, while installing my audio stuff, a friend of mine found unplugged connectors. Connected them - everything works. Then, I was installing my intake or something, day later the light is on again. Checked the same plug, it was unplugged. Plugged it back in - works again.

So I say check all connectors before going to the dealer, who knows...
Old 06-01-2004, 02:26 PM
scopium

a few cases.. do u have a RSB? if you do.. check if the brackets are not chocking the wires...

- check all you abs wires.. to see if there are any dents in them... maybe a cat bit on them or something..

third check if all of the wires are connected...

fourth if none of the above are true.. i hope you have warranty that will cover it .. if not its 300 a piece

Old 06-01-2004, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by scopium
a few cases.. do u have a RSB? if you do.. check if the brackets are not chocking the wires...

- check all you abs wires.. to see if there are any dents in them... maybe a cat bit on them or something..

third check if all of the wires are connected...

fourth if none of the above are true.. i hope you have warranty that will cover it .. if not its 300 a piece

Well, I don't have RSB, and NO warranty , as I have 66k miles. I suspect that this might be a connector, as I was cleaning wheels with a brush, and maybe I have bumped one, who knows. I dropped it off at the dealer this evening so I'll know tomorrow morning. I've been going to that dealer for 4 years now and they don't charge a diagnostic fee. If it is a sensor I am going to try to push for a goodwill repair. I've had 3 Nissans serviced there, so they got a lot of my $$ over the years .
Like the guy with the coils - maybe it will fly... but let's hope it's just a loose sensor.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:04 AM

Well, I just got a call from my dealer - it is my Right Rear ABS sensor. $315 parts and labor. Well the catch is - they don't have it in stock and it is on back order everywhere.
I found one in Pittburgh for $134 bucks. It will be here on Saturday.
I was looking thru FSM on how to replace it and I have a question -do you have to remove the caliper assembly to install the new sensor or is just the wheel?
Old 06-02-2004, 10:57 AM

I guess what I'll do is spray down a wheel and wheel well, drive the car and repeat the process. Locate the bad sensor and weather proof is somehow. Can't spend that kind of cash on a sensor. If that is even my problem.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 AM

my ABS light showed up 2 months ago and it was my left rear ABS senser went bad, cost my $300 to change the new one. But 2 weeks ago, ABS light showed up again. This time is right rear ABS senser. Man, the other $300 again. I didn't change my suspension. Now. it is time to either change my tires or New car.......

Well, I just got a call from my dealer - it is my Right Rear ABS sensor. $315 parts and labor. Well the catch is - they don't have it in stock and it is on back order everywhere.
I was looking thru FSM on how to replace it and I have a question -do you have to remove the caliper assembly to install the new sensor or is just the wheel?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:49 PM

How much for the part only from the dealer? You should be able to remove the sensor without messing with the caliper . You should have a bolt holding the sensor in place. Just route the new sensors wiring in the same place as the old one and be careful not to damage the new one while handling it.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...11&catalogid=2
Old 06-02-2004, 02:24 PM
SEdge

my light goes on when i put the 15: millenia wheels on. maybe there's something too close to the rotor/brake pads