5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Help - Opinions of suspension Setup wanted???
Yes, this will do what you want. Go for it.
100.00%
No, This is too stiff a combination for what you want.
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

I need opinion on suspension setups

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004 | 06:06 AM

I need opinion on suspension setups

Here is the background. For the most part I am satisfied with the stcok suspension on on my 02 SE. I only want to change two things:

1) Reduce the amount of body roll in corners. There is just too much lean when cornering.

2) Lower ride height a little.

This car is a daily driven and I live in an area where it snows a lot in the winter. So I don't want a very low ride and I really don't want a very stiff ride, but I realize that if I want to get the above, I will have to stiffen the suspension somewhat.

I guess the ultimate would be a moderate lowering spring with somewhat higher spring rate (progressive rate springs - not progress springs - come to mid) and the same as stock (or slightly more stiff) shocks.

I should add that I currently have a FSTB, and RSB installed on the car.

I now have a chance to buy the KYB-AGX/H&R combination from a member and was wondering if this combination can accomplish what I am looking for.

I am looking for opinions from members with experience.

Thanks,
Reza
02 Super Black SE
FSTB,RSB
Old 06-01-2004 | 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

H&R are a great choice for you, but I'd recommend Illuminas over AGX due to some cold weather stiffness issues on the AGX.
Old 06-02-2004 | 07:37 AM

Thanks for the one and only reply housecor. Yeah, I have read about the stiffness on the AGXs in the winter, but have noted that the suspension of all of my cars got more stiff in the winter! I wonder just how much more the AGX got?
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by rezadue
Thanks for the one and only reply housecor. Yeah, I have read about the stiffness on the AGXs in the winter, but have noted that the suspension of all of my cars got more stiff in the winter! I wonder just how much more the AGX got?
It must be pretty significant since I've heard many complaints from AGX owners. Also, some AGX owners switched to Illumina and saw a noticable improvement in cold weather ride quality.

And yeah, it's a disappointment many org veterans don't bother answering questions anymore. Sure wish search was up.
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:38 AM

I had the agx's on my old 96 max back in the winter on the highest setting and I didn't mind the stiffness, it was fine for me. I don't know i guess its just peoples preference.
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:51 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

H&Rs for springs

As for struts, I know most people recommend Illuminas but when it's cold out, even illuminas get stiff. I have experienced with both Illuminas and blues when it's cold out.
Old 06-02-2004 | 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ammi
H&Rs for springs

As for struts, I know most people recommend Illuminas but when it's cold out, even illuminas get stiff. I have experienced with both Illuminas and blues when it's cold out.
True, I've noticed my Illuminas ride a little smoother now that the temps are heating up. I guess only someone who swapped from AGX to Illumina could say for sure - I just know I've heard no one complain about the cold weather ride on Illuminas, even though there is a bit of a temperature based change in performance.
Old 06-02-2004 | 06:25 PM

It seems that for the most part emails asking people what their bling blings look like and emails from females get the most responses

I suppose I should have identified myself as a honey!

I guess I will hold on buying this combo.

Reza,

Originally Posted by housecor
It must be pretty significant since I've heard many complaints from AGX owners. Also, some AGX owners switched to Illumina and saw a noticable improvement in cold weather ride quality.

And yeah, it's a disappointment many org veterans don't bother answering questions anymore. Sure wish search was up.