5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

GXE Stero Upgrades-help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 08:06 PM
drmax

Just bought 2001 GXE 5 speed. The AM/FM?Cassette system is pretty lame. Any suggestions on a CD unit that integrates nicely into my system. Just under the radio is an empty slot, this looks like a good spot for some type of audio conponet. Should I replace the factory speakers?

Old 03-27-2001, 08:09 PM
RBa

Check out www.crutchfield.com . They have all kinds of Stuff. They even send you detailed intructions so you can install it. One downside is the prices.
Old 03-28-2001, 05:42 AM

Like Rba said, go to www.crutchfield.com.If you want my personal opinion, check out the Blaupunkt Munchen or Toyko (baisically the same except the Tokyo is all black and has slightly less features) or their new San Fransisco (cd head units). They are easily the best sounding in the entire catalouge and have the data to prove it. MY OPINION so no flames on this! For the slot below, put in the Blaupunkt in-dash 6 disc CD changer.

You will now have extremely clean sound going to your speakers, so it should be a dramatic improvement. If you still aren't happy, aftermarket speakers will improve the sound DRAMATICALLY over the paper factory speakers.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:29 AM
El Guapo

One more "me too" for crutchfield. Be very glad you have a GXE with the stock single-din stereo. Punkdork had to install the crutchfield dash insert...you think whoever made that dash insert could have spent a little more time making it match the interior

Anyway, installing a head unit was simple. Crutchfield includes everything you need (wiring harness, antenna adapter, trim ring)

I got a Clarion DRX6675. I love it, it's a great CD head unit. Next up are the speakers, but that's really a luxury upgrade...the sound was dramatically improved with the new head unit.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:40 AM

I bought a new low level Blaupunkt and it sounds much better than my stock GXE. Got it on Ebay for $100 + $10 shipping.
Old 03-28-2001, 09:09 PM
Moose26

I had installed a Clarion ADX5655z in my 2000 Maxima GXE. I too had that lame cassette stereo. The unit installed is a double din unit so the cubby hole is taken up with the stereo. The display matches the blue dash board lighting. The advantages of the double din unit is the buttons are bigger and there is fluorescent LED indicators that moves to the music. This can be disabled if it gets too distracting. The CD inserts from the front of the unit. Also has capabilities for a mini-disc and/or CD changer. The disadvantage is the unit is not detachable. This Clarion unit was designed to work with the Nissan/Toyota vehicles so no modifications are required. I bought the unit for $399US and $70 installation (includes a wiring harness, antenna adapter & labour) at Best Buy. Sound quality is pretty good and I haven't had any problems.

There is also a JVC double din unit out there that's less expensive but has a green display. A more expensive Pioneer unit exists but doesn't suit the car in my opinion.

Go to http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/Pro...din-cd-ca.html to view.

Old 03-28-2001, 11:12 PM

you can buy my stock bose deck and i will be selling the speakers as well in a few weeks...but you can buy the deck now if you want...check the for sale section of this site for info
Old 03-29-2001, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by MrBurner
you can buy my stock bose deck and i will be selling the speakers as well in a few weeks...but you can buy the deck now if you want...check the for sale section of this site for info
Does the stock bose deck sound ANY different than the upgraded (not bose)stock AM/FM/Casset/CD unit? (the one that comes with the C&C pkg)????

How about the speakers? are the speakers included with the bose system any different than the ones included with the C&C package stereo?