5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed Blue Led's in My window switches tonight. *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installed Blue Led's in My window switches tonight. *pics*

This was much more of a pain to do in a 5th gen then when i had my previous 4th gens. But, reluctantly I did them any way. I really hate those damn surface led's, they break way to easy. But I was lucky, and everything went perfectly. here are some pics, and the rest can be found on my website on page 10.

the neons onder the seat blink to the music, and also have built in stobes that blink as well, but it is hard to take a pic at the right time.

Please post thoughts!
Old 06-01-2004, 07:03 PM
retired moderator

looks good....how long did the LED swaps take? did you do them in the back doors too>
Old 06-01-2004, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
looks good....how long did the LED swaps take? did you do them in the back doors too>

Thanks. It took about 1.5 hours for the front two panels. It only took so long since there was no write up for 2002 maxima's, so I had to run back and fourth to my car to make sure the LED's were in the correct polarity. I did not do the rears since I have been sick with pneumonia for the last two weeks, so I lose my concentration after a while... and I do not want to mess up my switches.

-Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 07:14 PM

The rest of pics just incase you guys do not feel like going to my site.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:16 PM

Looks good! Check out my homepage, I did the LED mods in the guage cluster and under the A/C unit as well.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:18 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Looks good. How long did the installation take you?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Looks good! Check out my homepage, I did the LED mods in the guage cluster and under the A/C unit as well.

Site looks good! How did you take out the clock? I need to get into there to change the light, and to make the clock white. What size is the security light? thanks.

-Chris
Old 06-01-2004, 07:30 PM

Real nice.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:35 PM

looks good...i'd like to do this once the summer hits...get more time on my hands...how much did all the LEDs and other supplies cost you?
Old 06-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Play with my balls

sweet, when do we get a writeup?
lol
Old 06-01-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
Site looks good! How did you take out the clock? I need to get into there to change the light, and to make the clock white. What size is the security light? thanks.

-Chris
Thanks! The clock is real easy. Just pull up on the sides of the clock, and pull up on the front. Once removed, the clock is held on the trim with two bolts. Here, you can disassemble the clock. The security LED is 3mm in size. Just clip out old one, and solder new one.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:11 PM

looks Really...really goood sir.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
sweet, when do we get a writeup?
lol

Did you guys want a write up? I made one for the fourth gen's, but I was not sure if one was needed for the 5th gens. I can't really do the fronts step by step, but i could do the rears step by step.

Y2K1JKSE -- Well, I bought a bunch of diffrent led's off a seller on ebay. I always go through him when ever I need more LED's. He is the best, he provides damn good led's, great prices, and outstanding brightness. he goes by the name of "cold fussion" if you search for " 5mm 6000mcd led " you can find him. But ask for led's that do not already have the resistor attached. the circuit board for the switches have them built in. it is about $10 or so for 15-20.

And thanks for the comments guys!

-Chris
Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 AM

What resistor did u use on the front ones......i did my back ones 8 months ago but the front didn't want to work.......
Old 06-02-2004, 10:34 AM

Looks sweet
You did that while sick??
Old 06-02-2004, 12:12 PM

always up to something silly chris ;o looks good
Old 06-02-2004, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
What resistor did u use on the front ones......i did my back ones 8 months ago but the front didn't want to work.......

Man, the back one's were one HUGE PITA! I had a hard time getting the Led to fit correctly with the resistor, but I finally did it... two hours later! I made the mistake of accidentally bumping the actual switch, and the spring loader cover popped off! Two silver ***** fell, and two copper pieces fell as well... it took me a long time to figure out how it worked, and to get it seated correctly again. I was not happy. But all is well and good now.

But to answer your question... the front ones do not need resistors. Since the front Led’s are surface mount led's, there is no room for a resistor, so they built the resistor into the circuit board. It is as easy as taking off the old and putting in the new. But just make sure you get the polarity correct. And I find that it make life much easier to use a de-soldier for taking off the front led's... then you can get most of the solder off, then you can use pliers and pull up on the led as you heat up the remaining solder. Hard to explain, but you will understand if you were looking at it.

desperado_45 -- yeah, I was getting annoyed at watching TV, and my led's were just sitting there on my desk waiting to be installed.

Steve5891 -- yup, and I am getting an intake this week as well... it should arrive on Friday. Can’t wait!

-Chris
Old 06-02-2004, 01:54 PM

I used these in my front doors. http://www.lc-led.com/ProductListing.jsp?idDepartment=5

Using 2 soldering irons it took me 1/2hr to do all 7.
After the 2hrs it took to do the rears I was glad those we're so easy.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by maximaman777
I used these in my front doors. http://www.lc-led.com/ProductListing.jsp?idDepartment=5

Using 2 soldering irons it took me 1/2hr to do all 7.
After the 2hrs it took to do the rears I was glad those we're so easy.

I was debating if I was going to use those or not... the only reason that I didn't was because i did not think they were going to be bright. How did your switches come out? any pics? thanks

-Chris
Old 06-03-2004, 09:34 AM

i think the 5th gens would benefit from a write up chris i'm sure everyone that wants to do it but dont know how like me would appreciate it greatly...but of course at your own pace and free time....thanks!
Old 06-03-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
I was debating if I was going to use those or not... the only reason that I didn't was because i did not think they were going to be bright. How did your switches come out? any pics? thanks

-Chris
I'm the oposite, I didn't want the door switches too bright and be a distraction. Along with the SMT's I used for the fronts I used 300mcd's in the rear. IMO these came out plenty bright.
I don't have a digi cam but I'll get some pics posted for you by the end of the weekend.

I used 6k mcd's in the climate control and the dimmer switch for the dash. I used a 74 wedge from superbrightleds.com for the dash/turn signals, ignition, ashtray & the lower climate control. They were all cut down as short as possible. I also got some WLEDs for the door step lights (work great) and a 3022-4 LED Festoon for the dome but it burnt out w/in 3 days, no responce to my emails yet

The turn signals, ignition, ashtray & lower climate control are perfect. The 6k's in the main climate control are also perfect. I also used 3mm 6k in the clock. It's pretty F'ing bright, you can find my car easily at night from behind

Now the dash back lighting doesn't cut it. I hoped the 74 wedges would work, but no dice not even close to bright enough. I'm going to have to replace them with 5mm 4-6k LED's with at least a 30deg viewing angle cut down short. What I want to do is replace the LED's in the plastic wedges we'll see if I can pull it off, if I can't reuse the resistors in them I'll need some 1/8 watt ones that are small enought to fit. Also the dimmer switch is way to bright at 5mm 6K, it reflects off the windshield. I'm either going back stock or with a 300mcd.

The 3mm & 5mm LED's I got are for Cold Fussion as well. I even got some 10mm ones from him for another project.

Lastly I'm trying to get my hands on some different colored lighting gels I can cut up for the radio or I'll get an aftermarket HU down the road.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:53 AM

What voltage LEDs did u use for the front.....because when i tried the back one's they were fine but the front ones didn't want to work......

THE BACK WAS EZ!!!! took 20 min.....
Old 06-03-2004, 02:08 PM

HEy I have been trying to get time to do this to my girl but I need a few pointers!!! Is there anyway you could send me some pointers and info/ instruction so I can get to it???? I would really appreciate it tons....... my e mail is team_maxxedoout@hotmail.com if you got time. Thanks TONS!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Mauja He Mauja

looks sweet. also like the cluster pics. how-2 would help a great deal. also bulb #'s
Old 06-03-2004, 05:59 PM

did you post a poll yet on what intake to get? ;o
...what are you getting anyway
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM

Intresting post. I love bright lights... The more light, the better! I do not like driving in a drak car... too boring, and feels like something is missing. As for the climate control... how hard was it to change? i would like to do this soon... but i was not sure if 5mm leds would fit in the climate control. do you know if they will? also, what do you mean as "dash back lighting" do you mean the rpms, and the spedo and such? please posts pics asap! very curious to see them!

MaximaPolak -- i used standard voltage leds... 3.3volts.

Maxima Girl -- Yes, i will send it to you... I just need to make one first...

dba1999us -- thanks man... i am working on the write as we speak.

Steve5891 -- LOL, if I see one more "What inkate is better" thread, I will scream! I know my maxima products... as you can see from my sig with my past cars. Oh, and i got a FCP intake with apexi filter... I'm ready from some massive MAFS failures!!

-Chris

Originally Posted by maximaman777
I'm the oposite, I didn't want the door switches too bright and be a distraction. Along with the SMT's I used for the fronts I used 300mcd's in the rear. IMO these came out plenty bright.
I don't have a digi cam but I'll get some pics posted for you by the end of the weekend.

I used 6k mcd's in the climate control and the dimmer switch for the dash. I used a 74 wedge from superbrightleds.com for the dash/turn signals, ignition, ashtray & the lower climate control. They were all cut down as short as possible. I also got some WLEDs for the door step lights (work great) and a 3022-4 LED Festoon for the dome but it burnt out w/in 3 days, no responce to my emails yet

The turn signals, ignition, ashtray & lower climate control are perfect. The 6k's in the main climate control are also perfect. I also used 3mm 6k in the clock. It's pretty F'ing bright, you can find my car easily at night from behind

Now the dash back lighting doesn't cut it. I hoped the 74 wedges would work, but no dice not even close to bright enough. I'm going to have to replace them with 5mm 4-6k LED's with at least a 30deg viewing angle cut down short. What I want to do is replace the LED's in the plastic wedges we'll see if I can pull it off, if I can't reuse the resistors in them I'll need some 1/8 watt ones that are small enought to fit. Also the dimmer switch is way to bright at 5mm 6K, it reflects off the windshield. I'm either going back stock or with a 300mcd.

The 3mm & 5mm LED's I got are for Cold Fussion as well. I even got some 10mm ones from him for another project.

Lastly I'm trying to get my hands on some different colored lighting gels I can cut up for the radio or I'll get an aftermarket HU down the road.