5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Changed spark plugs in my 02',semi difficult job.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004 | 05:55 AM

Changed spark plugs in my 02',semi difficult job.

I would like to say , i didn't take pictures , because this type of job you really need to be there and have a hands on feel for the job.Plus to get a camera for the back sparkplugs is a tad bit tight back there by the fire wall.

As you know changing the front sparkplugs were a snap! Less than 15 min for all three..... the back ones well ......all i have to say get ready to curse alot and get ready to get a few cuts on your nuckles.

When you get ready to do the back ones, make sure you have patience and some good tools. First loosen the air box for you stock people off the throttle body. If you have an intake system just remove the pipe from the throttle body.
Second use a 12mm socket and start removing the 4 bolts on the quad air pipe that is attached to the manifold. Next try to get your 12mm socket under the quad air pipe, start losening the two 12mm bolts.....because of the room it may take you a little while.(15 min or more depending on you) Once those bolts are out of the way, move onto the bolts holding the quad air pipe attatched to the throttle body. Remove the pipe......from here you should be able to see two of the three coil packs. Do the first two.....the last coil pack is slightly under the manifold. Remove the bolts that support the connector sensors that are covering the last coil pack, that should give you more ample room to get to the coil pack.

Unfortunately the manifold is still over the pack. Best way to get to the last coil pack is losen all the bolts on the manifold.DO NOT TAKE OFF BOLTS!!!! JUST LOOSEN!!! This way you can slide the manifold up and you can now get your socket or wrench to losen the bolt that is holding the coil pack. Remove coil pack and change the spark plugs and reverse the procedure for the whole job.

Total job should take anywhere from 45min-1hr15 min depending on skill. The worse part of the job is getting that quad pipe off its brackets and putting it back on. Other than that it is definitely a job that can be done with patience and good tools.

I changed my spark plugs at 65k miles. I brought platinums instead of copper or Iridiums until i do some internal work on the engine. Some say copper or Iridium are better , but that is yet to be proven on a dyno.

With my brand new platinums i notice better milage and slightly better throttle response.