5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can't get the O2 off

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Can't get the O2 off

I got a new O2 for my max, Front Bank 1. Lucky for me, that is like the worst one to replace since there is like 2 inches of free room. I have a O2 sensor socket and it fits but I can't turn that thing because there isn't any room avail. Anyone have any ideas on how I would remove this? Thanks. I have 2K SE, manual, cali spec
Old 06-20-2004, 09:48 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by PhilY
I got a new O2 for my max, Front Bank 1. Lucky for me, that is like the worst one to replace since there is like 2 inches of free room. I have a O2 sensor socket and it fits but I can't turn that thing because there isn't any room avail. Anyone have any ideas on how I would remove this? Thanks. I have 2K SE, manual, cali spec
Is this the Red wired O2 in the elbow of the Y pipe? I bought a 22MM Open ended box wrench and it fit perfect and allowed me to get good torque on it as well.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:22 AM

I wish it was that. It's actually the black wired one, behind the precat. It's like buried inside the front axle/cv joint stuff...
Old 06-21-2004, 05:27 AM

I got mine out with the O2 socket, a flexible elbow adapter, and an 10" Extension piece on my ratchet. Try that. This was only possible with my car raised about 9" off the ground, so I could fit underneath and really get some torque on the tool.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by PhilY
I wish it was that. It's actually the black wired one, behind the precat. It's like buried inside the front axle/cv joint stuff...
I went to get mine out when doung y-pipe, couldnt.

Do this. Before u go to sleep raise the car and spray wd-40 all around the sensor threads....wait 20 min, spray again. Should be ready to come loose next morning! (did for me)