5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

engine managment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:37 PM

engine managment?

is there anything out there that i can but that will assist me in changing air/fuel ratio, changing shift points, advancing the timing and etc...?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:41 PM

the TS ECU.....
Old 06-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Dont Think Ts Makes Ecu's For The 2k-2k1's.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:58 PM

greddy e-manage
Old 06-25-2004, 04:28 PM

is it worth getting greddy emanage if u dont have many mods...i only have an intake , with more possible mods on the way...is it worth it to get it ...will it still be benificial even if the car doesnt have many mods....?
Old 06-26-2004, 05:25 AM

wait till all your mods are on
Old 06-26-2004, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 30585
I Dont Think Ts Makes Ecu's For The 2k-2k1's.
Soon i think!
Old 06-26-2004, 09:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2001semax
is it worth getting greddy emanage if u dont have many mods...i only have an intake , with more possible mods on the way...is it worth it to get it ...will it still be benificial even if the car doesnt have many mods....?
It would cost ALOT more than it is worth. First you have the price of the greddy unit itself, then dyno time. No need for that unless you are FI. You would have to spend time on the dyno to even benefit from it at all. Pretty pointless for NA, unless you REALLY change the "personality" of the car: cams, headwork, etc.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:16 PM

No need for that unless you are FI.
CullenJ76: Nothing personal against you, but I'm tired of hearing the whole "you don't need engine management until you are FI" story that everyone says. That's absolute BS. If you are gonna go around saying things like that, at least put it in the proper context first.

2001semax: The best way to determine if you need the E-Manage is to dyno. Be sure to get your Air/Fuel measured. If you are way off, then you will need to get either the E-Manage or the S-AFC. Personally speaking, the E-Manage costs more up-front, but will definitely out-shine the S-AFC in almost every arena, with the exception of the "looks-good" category. If you add a mod, then you'd need to dyno again. You'll eventually learn that the dyno is a tool that you use to tune the car, not to see what the car can do. Once the car is tuned, then and only then should you make a run that will show what your car can do.

And for all of those who say you don't need it... you can't predict the ECU's adjustments. I've been able to squeeze 20+ HP out of the "defective Stillen headers" at certain intervals because of tuning. And the car needed the E-Manage before the headers went on.

I drove my car 900+ miles with the A/F ratio at 9:1 before I actually dyno'd. I got about 8-11 MPG too, depending on where I drove it. And the car only had a CAI and 2.5" exhaust (from the Y-pipe back). So there is definitely a use for it on a NA car, but ONLY a dyno with wideband readings will determine IF you need the E-Manage or S-AFC.

I will agree with one thing... to be the most cost-effective mod, you should, in most cases, wait until you have all your mods on. Personally, I grow money on a tree in my backyard, so I dyno after every mod. This is because I want the car in top-shape all the time. But since my money tree can't be bought at your local Lowes or Home Depot, you may choose to save your hard-earned money and wait until your NA mods are done, then dyno and tune.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Studman,

I'm close to deciding between Greddy E Manage and the Apexi SAFC II. I have some more research to do but I see you prefer the E Manage. I've found some guidance on installing the SAFC on the Maxima but I don't remember reading about the E Manage.

Some questions...if you don't mind.

What other components do I need beside the main E-Manage unit?

Can you provide any guidance on installing the E-Manage? (I'll search your previous posts and your homepage for some info).

I keep hearing about burnt coils associated with the E-Manage. Admittedly I have not fully read those threads because I didn't think I would need an engine management unit, but is this something I would need to be aware of?

Thanks for any help you could provide.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:47 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by studman
CullenJ76: Nothing personal against you, but I'm tired of hearing the whole "you don't need engine management until you are FI" story that everyone says. That's absolute BS. If you are gonna go around saying things like that, at least put it in the proper context first.

2001semax: The best way to determine if you need the E-Manage is to dyno. Be sure to get your Air/Fuel measured. If you are way off, then you will need to get either the E-Manage or the S-AFC. Personally speaking, the E-Manage costs more up-front, but will definitely out-shine the S-AFC in almost every arena, with the exception of the "looks-good" category. If you add a mod, then you'd need to dyno again. You'll eventually learn that the dyno is a tool that you use to tune the car, not to see what the car can do. Once the car is tuned, then and only then should you make a run that will show what your car can do.

And for all of those who say you don't need it... you can't predict the ECU's adjustments. I've been able to squeeze 20+ HP out of the "defective Stillen headers" at certain intervals because of tuning. And the car needed the E-Manage before the headers went on.

I drove my car 900+ miles with the A/F ratio at 9:1 before I actually dyno'd. I got about 8-11 MPG too, depending on where I drove it. And the car only had a CAI and 2.5" exhaust (from the Y-pipe back). So there is definitely a use for it on a NA car, but ONLY a dyno with wideband readings will determine IF you need the E-Manage or S-AFC.

I will agree with one thing... to be the most cost-effective mod, you should, in most cases, wait until you have all your mods on. Personally, I grow money on a tree in my backyard, so I dyno after every mod. This is because I want the car in top-shape all the time. But since my money tree can't be bought at your local Lowes or Home Depot, you may choose to save your hard-earned money and wait until your NA mods are done, then dyno and tune.
Personally, I feel that it is a complete waste of money in these situations. 9:1 ?... I think I would have looked for a solution to the rich a/f from the inside-out, instead of the outside-in on that. I wonder why the fastest (trap speed), and quickest (ET) fifth gens don't even use an afc or e-manage, same for the fastest 4th gen Until you start swapping injectors, cams, turbocharging and supercharging at "high" levels, swapping mafs, etc. ENGINE MANAGEMENT IS A FUN LITTLE TOY TO WASTE MONEY ON
Old 06-27-2004, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
Personally, I feel that it is a complete waste of money in these situations. 9:1 ?... I think I would have looked for a solution to the rich a/f from the inside-out, instead of the outside-in on that. I wonder why the fastest (trap speed), and quickest (ET) fifth gens don't even use an afc or e-manage, same for the fastest 4th gen Until you start swapping injectors, cams, turbocharging and supercharging at "high" levels, swapping mafs, etc. ENGINE MANAGEMENT IS A FUN LITTLE TOY TO WASTE MONEY ON
I don't know about the 4th gens, but the fastest NA, bolt on 5th gen (SR20DEN) uses a SAFC II and pulled approximately 15 extra hp through tuning with it. NA guys are not using it because it's not widely used in the maxima community and it's not as easy as just bolting it on. Bolt on, NA 350Z guys are also having similiar success with engine management. Sorry bro, you just plain wrong.