5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need a how-to on replacing brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 10:43 AM

need a how-to on replacing brake fluid

I just orderd ss lines from $tillen, and i would like to replace my brake fluid with sythetic one, what is the best way to drain and fill ? ( i know i'll have to bleed them to death... )
Old 06-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

when you bleed brakes, you most likely have to have a friend to pump the brake for you. basically, there's a little bolt behind the rotors. you loosen it a little, your friend presses the brake, you tighten the bolt, he lets his foot off. make sure he doesn't let his foot off the brake while the bolt is still loose, because air can get trapped in the brake lines.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Funkdeal
when you bleed brakes, you most likely have to have a friend to pump the brake for you. basically, there's a little bolt behind the rotors. you loosen it a little, your friend presses the brake, you tighten the bolt, he lets his foot off. make sure he doesn't let his foot off the brake while the bolt is still loose, because air can get trapped in the brake lines.

right, but how do i drain the entire system and replace the fluid??? would it be same as bleeding them out? what is the best way to do it? where to start and how to get all or most of the fluid out???
Old 06-27-2004, 03:01 PM
drag racing is for wussies

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2068 they sell a brake bleeder, or Lincoln tools makes a killer air powered fluid sucker that does brake fluid, engine oil etc. Gonna try to find a picture of it- I got one at work I bought for myself- 108 bux from Cornwell Tolls. New MBenz has no oil drain plug so U have to suck oil out the dipstick tube durrin an oil change
Old 06-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tac_M
right, but how do i drain the entire system and replace the fluid??? would it be same as bleeding them out? what is the best way to do it? where to start and how to get all or most of the fluid out???
i just explained how to drain it. everytime you step on the brake, and that little bolt is loose (sorry forget what it's called), brake fluid will squirt out. put a little pan or bottle under to avoid spilling. to pour in new fluid, find the resevior for brake fluid. pour some in, pump the brakes to get some fluid through the lines, and pour some more in until it's at the line.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:20 PM

brake bleeder screw- its on top of each caliper- reason TOP and not bottom- is that the air in the brake system will travel UP and not down- so with the bleeder screw at the highest point in the system the air will escape EZ. U wanna make sure U have plenty of fluid at all times in the resevoir under the hood. Then loosen the bleeder screw on a caliper- like one of the rear ones
and hit the brake pedal- and HOLD IT THERE. Then tighten the screw up and release the brake pedal. Then loosen up the screw and press the pedal down, close the screw up and release the pedal- do this over and over, till U see clean fresh brake fluid coming out of the brake bleeder screw. Do each calipers, and use a short -12" is fine piece of clear hose that fits on the brake caliper bleeder screw head. Then point the short piece of clear hose in to a glass jar or something where U can see the brake fluid- how dirty its coming out. I personally recomend Motul RBF600 fluid and Goodridge stainless steel lines makes for a awesome brake pedal feel. For cheap fluid I would go to www.AF1racing.com for all your Motul needs, www.horsepowerfreaks.com has great service and quick shipping on the Goodridge brake lines. I got my stuff from them for my Max.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:12 PM

Thank you guys, looks like i'll have to pump them till it's all out....
Old 06-27-2004, 08:17 PM
F---ing Kangaroos

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=2068 they sell a brake bleeder, or Lincoln tools makes a killer air powered fluid sucker that does brake fluid, engine oil etc. Gonna try to find a picture of it- I got one at work I bought for myself- 108 bux from Cornwell Tolls. New MBenz has no oil drain plug so U have to suck oil out the dipstick tube durrin an oil change
Mike, Mike, Mike..... do you not shop around? I just got a mityvac 4000 from e-bay for $53 shipped. Works great for brakes, not so good for clutches.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:32 PM

Oh well I was just showing that one to the .org for refference. I use the air powered Lincoln unit- which is much supperior to the *pump* style unit haha :P