5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake, plugs, and wires???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 11:20 AM

intake, plugs, and wires???

My friend's dad is a mechanic and has been one for about 22 years. He took a look at my car the other day because my SES light came on then went away. I guess the code came up that my #2 cylinder miss fired. It isn't doing it anymore but I found that weird. So I was going to go and buy some new plugs and wires. I have 64,000 miles on the engine so I figured it was time. I know I want a platinum series plug, the only thing is there aren't many out there for my car (02 SE). So maybe one of you guys could reccomend a good plug and some good wires to get. Also, he took a look at my intake and well, he said it was a bad set up. I have the Injen CAI. He told me that it's to low to the ground and is going to cause me problems if it rains. So I was thinking of cutting the pipe and putting the filter up a little higher. Any comments on that??? One more thing. I always run premium in my car. I just think it deserves the best. I was doing some research though and found that when you run premium octane gas in a car of a pretty much stock nature. The car will run hotter. Therefore giving up HP. So I was told to run unleaded gas in my car, and that it would run better and lose less HP in the heat. I find that kinda hard to believe but who am I to argue with the experts. So any comments on that on lol??? Well let me know what you guys think about all this. I just thought you might find it interesting.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:27 AM

NGk platinum plugs are the plugs to buy...
your car doesnt have spark plug wires...it has coils and they are expensive....
and the Injen can suck up water....casusing 5000$+ damage to your engine
get the Gab....ask wut the Gab is...it works
Old 07-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

I found PepBoys plug wires to be very good for our cars.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. Plugs go with oem NGK plats.... Good luck finding them at stores such as pepboys I don't think they stock them. My local dealer usually matches my prices I find online. I think I paid around 10-11 a piece. I'm about to replace mine again I replaced my plugs on my 2k1 @ around 60k, I'm almost at 90K now.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE MANY ON THE ORG AND PERSONALLY SPEAKING DO NOT USE ANY PLUG BUT NGK!!!

2. Try the plugs first coils generally last longer than 65K although I wouldn't be surprised if you had a bad coil. Coils can range anywhere from 250-600+ depending on where you get them. There is an org member TWILLN that sells coils for $250 shipped I got mine from him and got them in a week. Check the 5gen FS section for his post.

3. The intake I've had stock/stillen/injen and I'm back to stock. I'm really out of the performance mods... for now! With the Injen I was always worried about the rain and puddles. So when my MAF gave up with Injen, I went back stock.

As far as cutting the intake tube I would have to say if performance is your top priority then leave it as is and don't drive in the Rain..LOL. By cutting the intake I would have to say that you probably will be defeating it's purpose of a CAI. The filter would sit higher up and would be getting more warm air then cold.

I would consider checking out the Getto Air Box lots of the members swear by it.

Also a member just recently had a big problem with water in the engine which happened when he drove in a huge puddle with an intake, I think it was an injen.

Good luck Hope this helps and one last thing is that the plugs on a 2k2/2k3 are a pain because of the design one of the bolts that hold coil is covered by the intake manifold.

Robert
Old 07-03-2004, 07:18 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by Big D
I found PepBoys plug wires to be very good for our cars.
I just ghetto rigged some 12 awg monster cable it it works great.