5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Heart set on Injen Intake any comment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:11 PM

Heart set on Injen Intake any comment?

I really want to get an injen intake. I don't know why, I have done some research and they seem the best. If anyone knows that they are not or there is something better out there please let me know. And please tell me why. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:20 PM

I had it for couple weeks, didnt like it much....didnt really feel like i had an intake unless i went up to 5-6000 rpm. but if thats what your into, go for it!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:35 PM

dont do it. just get the berk. it is cheaper and sounds great.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:46 PM

Place Racing

I went with the Place Racing CAI, Not to loud, Hidden away nicely and well nice performance gains from it both low and high!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 12:50 PM
It's chrome alright...

Anyone who claims they can feel any gain from a CAI needs his butt-dyno retuned.

I have an injen and I like the sound. If you want stock up to 4k rpm and more sound after 4k rpm get an injen. If you want it louder through the whole range, get something else.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:05 PM

Wow

WOW, I guess all CAI's do absolutly nothing for any cars. Well, I must be the fortunate one that actually got some gains on my maxima. I notice better gas mileage, better pickup, better top end. But then again, it also depends on what else you have done to the car. I have HotShot Headers with Y Pipe, Catback, Muffler, High Flow Cat, Place Racing CAI with K&N Filter , underdrive pulleyand Engine Grounding Kit.
Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Anyone who claims they can feel any gain from a CAI needs his butt-dyno retuned.

I have an injen and I like the sound. If you want stock up to 4k rpm and more sound after 4k rpm get an injen. If you want it louder through the whole range, get something else.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the Berk. The Injen sucks in the low end and sucks water into the engine. The Berk looks great, sounds great and is great in the top end!
Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 PM

I'd noticed that some people here claimed that the INJEN intake causes low end power loss...any proof?
I had try WAI (FirmFrabrication) and now the INJEN intake for over year. Base on my experience with this particular intake, there is not low end power loss or gain? If there is any gain, it going to be at the top end, approx. 1-2 hps the most.

The main reason I have it because of the sound it produces above 4000 rmp.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Play with my balls

what's the berk look like? where can i find one? how much is it?

preesh,
p
Old 07-06-2004, 01:45 PM

Ok now it is between the injen and berk. please can we debate them? has anyone tried both and have actual experience with both. I want low end and top end power.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Cletus

if you buy the Injen, you are paying all that extra money for the looks and so you can say you have an Injen and a "CAI" even though its not.
someone please explain to me how the air is cold between the radiator and the engine. the air there is hotter then anywhere else since the fan is blowing all the hot air it pulls from the radiator.
you can get the Berk or Frankencar that do the same thing for alot cheaper. and cheapest of all is the GAB which does the same thing all the other intakes do - increase unrestricted airflow
Old 07-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Cletus

one more thing -

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE "WHICH INTAKE IS BETTER" THREADS EVERYDAY.
THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME MINIMAL PERFORMANCE GAINS AND DEEP GROWL.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:15 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Get the Berk. The Injen sucks in the low end and sucks water into the engine. The Berk looks great, sounds great and is great in the top end!
Are you trying to lie or are you just that misinformed? Injen does not suck in water, and if someone says it did then he had his car in about 18" of water and deserved it.
Originally Posted by soonerfan
if you buy the Injen, you are paying all that extra money for the looks
that's why I bought mine used
someone please explain to me how the air is cold between the radiator and the engine. the air there is hotter then anywhere else since the fan is blowing all the hot air it pulls from the radiator.
and if it pulled air from the radiator you'd be right, but then again it doesn't, so you're 100% wrong. I've been under my car a dozen times to take it off/put it on (dealer doesn't like mods) and can say without a doubt the air coming from the radiator is NOT going directly to the intake. Sure it sucks in some radiator air, just like any intake that doesn't require drilling/cutting a wheel well, but once the car moves approximately one foot, all the rest of the air comes up from under the car, NOT from the radiator.

and for the love of god when someone talks about an injen intake can he at least have a clue about it, and not use the words "I think" or "I heard" in his post?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Cletus

Are you trying to lie or are you just that misinformed? Injen does not suck in water, and if someone says it did then he had his car in about 18" of water and deserved it.that's why I bought mine used and if it pulled air from the radiator you'd be right, but then again it doesn't, so you're 100% wrong. I've been under my car a dozen times to take it off/put it on (dealer doesn't like mods) and can say without a doubt the air coming from the radiator is NOT going directly to the intake. Sure it sucks in some radiator air, just like any intake that doesn't require drilling/cutting a wheel well, but once the car moves approximately one foot, all the rest of the air comes up from under the car, NOT from the radiator.

and for the love of god when someone talks about an injen intake can he at least have a clue about it?
well i guess we will just disagree cause you are 100% wrong. i know where the injen sits and it is sucking in the hot air that the fan is blowing right into it. there is no way around it. how is it sucking in air from "under the car" when there are splash guards there. it will suck in the air around the filter and the air around it is hot and blowing right into it. i have $100 that says the air my GAB sucks in is colder then the air your fancy expensive overhyped injen is sucking in.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Cletus

i never said "i think" or "i heard"
i KNOW that the injen is a waste of money and is not a COLD AIR INTAKE.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:53 PM

one more thing -

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN WE PLEASE STOP WITH THE "WHICH INTAKE IS BETTER" THREADS EVERYDAY.
AMEN!!!!!!!! Some people here have built-in dyno's in their brain....get over it they are all the same given the amount of naturally aspirated HP our engines make..........
Old 07-06-2004, 03:05 PM
I miss the .org!

I've got the Injen and love it. It looks great and sounds amazing. Once I finish my exhaust system, I'll dyno and hopefully I'll see some good results...butt dyno doesn't really mean jack...

Pretty funny that peeps on here cut a hole or use a hacksaw on their stock intake and call that a mod...
Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 PM

I have the INJEN....(currently in the box, visited the dealer..)
Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 PM

It's a preference when choose an aftermarket or GAB intake setup...therefore it is not a waste of money if i choose the INJEN over others.
I totally agreed w/you, soonerfan that this topic has once in awhile popped up every week. If there is any gain w/it, it's gonna be minimal. I responsed to this thread to inform the inquirer of my experience w/this particular intake.

FYI: my INJEN sits far left away from the radiator. It is lower because I have the K&N filter. I have no doubt that it will suck in some air from the radiator fan at idle but NOT when you're at speed.

BTW, I also have the tube wrapped w/header wrap to block away the engine heat. The combination of the Y-pipe/catback/and the INJEN intake create awesome sounds ONLY at WOTs...otherwise, it's stock quiet.

2KmaximaSE, if "loud" engine noise is what you looking for, go w/the Berk. If you want "stock" sound and a deep growl at WOTs, I recommend the INJENs. If you want the combination of both...then go w/the Place Racing CAI. The installation will be more tedious and the filter service can be a pain!

Pick your choice and please don't ask or debate about what aftermarket intake is better, performance wise!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:55 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
FYI: my INJEN sits far left away from the radiator. It is lower because I have the K&N filter. I have no doubt that it will suck in some air from the radiator fan at idle but NOT when you're at speed.
He won't believe you because he "knows" how it sits and he "knows" it is right behind the radiator and he "knows" there are splash guards there...

I guess mine 2k2 is missing some splash guards, then, because to put my filter on I put the car up on stands and put it in from underneath. And I guess my radiator/battery is different than every other 2k2 because I thought for sure the injen tube angled toward the driver's side to sit under the battery and NOT in the path of the radiator.

But since you're the expert, explain to me how your cut airbox sitting on top of the engine and as much in-line with the radiator as an injen setup, is getting cooler air than my 8" K&N filter that's sitting to the side and 10" off the ground.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've got the Injen and love it. It looks great and sounds amazing.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
2KmaximaSE, if "loud" engine noise is what you looking for, go w/the Berk. If you want "stock" sound and a deep growl at WOTs, I recommend the INJENs. If you want the combination of both...then go w/the Place Racing CAI. The installation will be more tedious and the filter service can be a pain!
Thanks for the information... this is what I have been looking for. For informational purposes where would I go to find information on the berk intake?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:40 PM

berktechnololgy.com
Old 07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I've had a intake similar to Berk before- it was home made with a JWT Pop Charger- I then switched to a Place Racing CAI and noticed little loss in throttle response at low end, less of the whossing sound from the throttle body being opened at low RPMs. With stock exhaust and a Place Racing Cai at over 4500RPMs (below it almost sounds stock) make it sound like a 2JZ powered SupraTT with a HKS SuperDragger- friend has one. Power increase was zero to -.5HP somewhere on the dyno vs JWT POP only, and on top end I gained 6WHP over JWT POP- at around 6500RPM. I love the way it sounds at 5000-6700RPMs
Old 07-06-2004, 06:18 PM

All I know is that since adding the Berk,new coils, and the updated MAF, my MPG continue to improve!
Just returned from a trip tonight and got 32 MPG! Before, the best I could get on the highway was 26-27. Which of the changes has helped, or if its a combination of all three, I don't know.

Otherwise, Performance changes with the Berk is minimal,IMO, but I do notice a nice growl, more freely reving RPMs, and slighly improved throttle response.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:39 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
I've got the Injen and love it. It looks great and sounds amazing. Once I finish my exhaust system, I'll dyno and hopefully I'll see some good results...butt dyno doesn't really mean jack...

Pretty funny that peeps on here cut a hole or use a hacksaw on their stock intake and call that a mod...
i call it a mod since it has the same performance gains as your injen. you dumb @ss fell for the hype and paid all that money for something i get for free.
like i said before i have $100 that says the air my GAB sucks in is colder then the air your fancy expensive overhyped injen is sucking in.
ill even up it to $200
Old 07-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Cletus

He won't believe you because he "knows" how it sits and he "knows" it is right behind the radiator and he "knows" there are splash guards there...

I guess mine 2k2 is missing some splash guards, then, because to put my filter on I put the car up on stands and put it in from underneath. And I guess my radiator/battery is different than every other 2k2 because I thought for sure the injen tube angled toward the driver's side to sit under the battery and NOT in the path of the radiator.

But since you're the expert, explain to me how your cut airbox sitting on top of the engine and as much in-line with the radiator as an injen setup, is getting cooler air than my 8" K&N filter that's sitting to the side and 10" off the ground.
tell me how its underneath the battery when the battery sits on the frame of the car.
how is my stock box in line with the radiator? in case you havent ever looked under your hoop the stock backs is BEHIND the battery. your sits next to the battery (between the radiator and engine)
you all with injen are so brainwashed into thinking injen is so great. thats because you bought into the hype and dont know enough about cars to realize it isnt a CAI.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Cletus

this is from maximapolak's site.
see that thing to the right - thats the radiator
see the thing in the bottom right corner - thats the fan that blows hot air from the radiator
now explain how that hot air somehow magicaly does not blow right into that intake.
and the reason you see the ground is because the splash guard is removed. thats not a good idea.
btw maximapolak, im not picking on you. this is for the other people arguing. your site was the first pic i could find to use as an example

Old 07-06-2004, 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Doesn't anyone like the WeaponR intake? This is the third one I have had and have always loved it. There has been one on my old 95 Maxima for 5 years and the filter has never worn down or broke up at all. Imo it is one of if not the loudest intake(s).
Old 07-06-2004, 08:08 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Place Racing CAI is the only real CAI hands down
I seen the results on diff Nissans using Place Racing, I used them on diff Nissans, I like em.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:30 PM

Are you trying to lie or are you just that misinformed? Injen does not suck in water, and if someone says it did then he had his car in about 18" of water and deserved it.that's why I bought mine used and if it pulled air from the radiator you'd be right, but then again it doesn't, so you're 100% wrong. I've been under my car a dozen times to take it off/put it on (dealer doesn't like mods) and can say without a doubt the air coming from the radiator is NOT going directly to the intake. Sure it sucks in some radiator air, just like any intake that doesn't require drilling/cutting a wheel well, but once the car moves approximately one foot, all the rest of the air comes up from under the car, NOT from the radiator.

and for the love of god when someone talks about an injen intake can he at least have a clue about it, and not use the words "I think" or "I heard" in his post?
Engine compartment air is not coming from under the car but is being discharged under the car. (the only place it can go in a stock car) With the fan(s) running or with the car moving forward it obviously has to come from the grill/bumper facia scoops through the a/c condenser and rad. into the engine compartment because it is slightly above ambient pressure. It then moves rearward around the engine and then down under the car in front of the firewall. The air moving under the car also induces the air out of the engine compartment. If it wasn't this way cars would overheat like crazy as there would be no airflow through the rad. (using your theory) Notice all the baffles on either side of the condenser and rad. and no holes in the rad. support. They are trying to force the air to go through the rad. When the car is stationary the under hood temp really climbs. This is a power killer if this is where the intake air is coming from. I suggest you read a thread about under hood temperatures by sascuderi about 4 pages down.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:33 PM

Any pictures of a PRCAI on a 2002 or 2003 please?

Andrei
Old 07-07-2004, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Place Racing CAI is the only real CAI hands down
I seen the results on diff Nissans using Place Racing, I used them on diff Nissans, I like em.
Where can I find info on the Place Racing CAI... I want a CAI and not a short ram. If I am not mistaking the injen is a short ram? What would I have to do install wise to get a CAI down to the ground?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:50 AM

Personally, I'm probably going to go with the Injen as I dont want excessive noise coming from the engine bay. Stock-like decibels are fine by me.

As for the CAI-hydrolock, it seems to only occur when people use their cars as parttime kayaks (i.e.: driving in 1ft+ deep water). I have an Iceman CAI in my Accord and have NEVER had any problems with sucking up water.

$.02
Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 AM

I just replaced my Injen with a K&N drop in because the wife got tired of the growl. I kind of liked it but she gets to drive it too. One thing I "know" was the filter was DIRTY when removed (only been in for 9 months), the engine was a lot smoother through the RPM range (still had plenty of HP) with the the car shifting better. I will be selling the INJEN and won't go back. I'm not knocking the Injen but I had my fun with it.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:31 AM

one more thing -

Old 07-07-2004, 07:32 AM

Call

Call Cattman.com or actually call Place Racing themselves. I believe theres another company that sells them but I will have to search for it.

Originally Posted by 2KmaximaSE
Where can I find info on the Place Racing CAI... I want a CAI and not a short ram. If I am not mistaking the injen is a short ram? What would I have to do install wise to get a CAI down to the ground?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:48 AM

Ok I want the CAI that goes down near the wheel well to get the cold air. Am I right that injen does not do this??? What are my choices for a "real" CAI?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:11 AM

IMHO the Injen is still a real CAI. Most people dont realize there isn't much of a temp difference between the two. Also it's easier to suck air from a large open area than it is to pull it from a mostly inclosed fender.

For people *****ing about water, triple8sol and I both live in Washington, both have Injens, and have never hydrolocked. Personally I dont even worry about it.

2KmaximaSE, if you want, I'm looking to sell the injen (its on my Dad's car and doesn't do me too much good, and he doesnt care if he has it or not sooo). PM me if your interested .

oh, and IBsomedonkeycallsmebiasedbecauseIhavetheInJen.
I am running a in fender style CAI on my 3rd gen.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:14 AM
I'm needing a caw

Shawn. There's no difference inbetween pulling air from the fender area via where the Injen pulls the air. I'd rather have air from a semi-enclosed area that doesn't have easy access to all the dirt/dust. I think my new VE CAI pulls air from the best spot.

Quick Reply: Heart set on Injen Intake any comment?