5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

DDE Switch HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

DDE Switch HELP!!

hey I followed housecor's How to for the day time running lights for the DDE's, I tapped the parking lights for the switch wire on the passenger side. I also ran a separate wire that I tapped on the switch wire to run into my switch (plugged in the middle metal connector). I also tapped my parking lights on the drivers side and ran that to the switch and connected it to one of the sides. I then tapped the green wire and connected that to the other metal connector on the switch. Am I doing it right? I thought I did but now all the switch does it turn my parking/DDE's on and off together, not one by one.
Switch "on"- parking and dde's (even though parking light on steering wheel is in the off position)
Switch "off"- both off.
The dde's dont turn on by themselves, it looks like the 12V constant is giving the parking lights power too....
any idea what's going on? also what does each metal connetor on the switch do?
it would be great if you could help me out thanks!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Man I was going to post a thread on this last night because I just got done clearing my HIDs and installed the DDEs.

I just tapped into my parking light with the DDE remote wire because I was scared to tap into that Green wire under the dash because of how small it was. What side tap did you use? The smallest I could find were these red 18-22 guage taps.

As for your wiring everything seems to be right. Do you have the same switch as Housecor? When the switch is to once side it is connecting those 2 tabs, and switched to the other side covers those two tabs. Both on and off positions both have the center tab included in the connection. That would be your remote wire and then one of your chosen power sources. One side would be how you manually can turn your DDE's on with nothing else (12v power source + remote wire) and the other position of the switch is tapped into your parking lights so they activate your remove wire when turned on (parking light tap + remove wire).

I hope this helps you figure things out because I will be doing this as soon as I can verify whether a 18-22 guage will tap that green wire under the dash.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wildmanal - Your explanation is right on. The center pole is the input. The outer two are the output - one to the parking light wire and one to the 12V switched power source.

UCI - if your parking lights are now controlled by the switch, then you've got your wires crossed. No pun intended. Check the wiring diagram again.

Yes, the green fuel pump wire is tough to get at, but a normal quick splice with 18 or 20 gauge wire works just fine with some patience to get the splice properly positioned.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

yeah i just got a t-tap(extras from my viper 791xv install) it wasn't too bad, i use needle nose pliers and to tap.... Thanks a lot for the replies guys, i guess i triple check the wires.....the thing is i tried to switch the wires (switch and parking) and i think the same thing happend....ill see and reply if so....
here is what im confused about....if the middle pole is the switch, would the 12v source give that pole power?? because that is what it looks like since the switch is ultimately connected to the parking light which is making them turn on with my DDE's.... but ill def look it over, thanks again.
HOUSECOR- I love your site, good shiet, Im doing almost all the how-to's you have on your site. thanks for puttin that up....
Old 07-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nope, the 12V wire doesn't "give the middle pole power". The switch doesn't need power - it just lets power run through it. Think of it this way. The middle pole is the input, in this case, the trigger wire for the DDE's. The outer 2 poles are the output - One to 12V power and the other to the parking light wire. Changing the position of the switch is the equivlent of connecting the trigger directly to either the 12v power or the parking light wire.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Housecor in the next few days I'm tapping my green wire under the dash with a 18-22 guage tap and if it doesn't work I'm going to kill you....j /k.... I'm just paranoid about tapping suck a small wire. You are the man. Thanks for all the tips.