5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

new maxima owner here

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 07:54 PM

new maxima owner here

whats up everybody, i just bought a 2000 maxima today, gle, traction heated seats, the works
bought it for $9,000 with 51K miles. it has a reconstructed title. it was hit in the front but lightly, the radiator and radiator support are original and werent damaged so it was barely hit. thought it was a good deal, i love the car, i was hoping for a 5 speed but this was a good price for what i got
what do u think?
where should i go first as far as mods? i want a CAI but which would be best? enything else?
thanks in advance for anu input

-Bocian
Old 07-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Pointy Elbows

You could get the Place Racing CAI, Progress RSB, and a FSTB off of Ebay. That should be a start. Then maybe suspension?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:04 PM

anything particular about the place racing cai?

how is the installations, i know there are alot of sensors around the intake, in my integra that i had a year ago, it was plain and simple, one breather hose and thats it
-bocian
Old 07-20-2004, 08:49 PM

If it's a 2000 GLE then why do you have 2001 SE in your profile? You've had another max or something?

I say, drive it a little and see if there are any mechanical issues that need to be taken care of. Every car has normal wear-and-tear problems and some aren't all that cheap.

Of course, in the meantime get the FSTB and RSB - the cheapest and most basic suspension upgrades. And if you're still running OEM tires by some miracle, do yourself a favor and get rid of them. That's the other thing that'll make a huge difference.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

do your ignition coils. then start playing with performance parts.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by bocian
anything particular about the place racing cai?

how is the installations, i know there are alot of sensors around the intake, in my integra that i had a year ago, it was plain and simple, one breather hose and thats it
-bocian
PR CAI is one of the only two "true" CAI's available for the maxima (Cattman makes the other one). With Cattman's and PR's you will need to drill a 3.25" hole through the fenderwell because the filter sits in the fenderwell, completely seperate from the heat of the engine bay. somone else may be better able to expalain than me.

As for ease of install, except for the drilling, it should be no more or less difficult than any other intake (sensors and breather hoses will be there no matter which intake you choose)
Old 07-21-2004, 12:14 PM

man if the car is mechanically sound, i must say you got a real good deal
Old 07-21-2004, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by richspidizzy
PR CAI is one of the only two "true" CAI's available for the maxima (Cattman makes the other one). With Cattman's and PR's you will need to drill a 3.25" hole through the fenderwell because the filter sits in the fenderwell, completely seperate from the heat of the engine bay. somone else may be better able to expalain than me.

As for ease of install, except for the drilling, it should be no more or less difficult than any other intake (sensors and breather hoses will be there no matter which intake you choose)
Interesting, I was under impression that Cattman CAI was the PR CAI.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i got a 2000 gle fully loaded except i dont have traction. anywho, my control of the car isnt that great. my tires are really bad, so im deciding on changing them, which'll improove my handling, but i wanted to know what FSTB and RSB are. if someone can elaborate on that. basically i want better control cuz sometimes im switching lanes at 110mph and my car looses control a little. what should i do? i hear a strut bar helps? one last question, i got stock 16 inch rims the max with toyo proxy tires. what is an OEM tire? and what if i increase the size of my rims to like 18'', will that make the cars grip better? what effect does it have on the car if you put bigger rims? (besides looking hot). thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by djirtu
sometimes im switching lanes at 110mph and my car looses control a little. what should i do?
slow down?

but to answer ur question, FSTB is in the engine bay, RSB sits near the rear axle under the car. i have a stillen one (rsb) for sale if ur interested
Old 07-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by KashThaRipper
man if the car is mechanically sound, i must say you got a real good deal
very sound, the engine wasnt touchd in the accident, i saw it before it was fixed so i know its in good shape, passed inspection with flying colors. should last me for a while,
yea im definitely getting the rsb and fstb, they go pretty cheap on ebay but i want good quality, ill look around still.
that and tint is what i need,
thanks for your all input
-tom
Old 07-21-2004, 05:49 PM

hmm...how about change ur engine oil and also filter and sparks and maybe MAF and some air filters before you do other things...i don't think ppl bother to change oil when they gonna sell the cars.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by -Red-
Interesting, I was under impression that Cattman CAI was the PR CAI.
nope two seperate companies (PR stands for Place Racing in case you didn't know; www.placeracing.com)

I have a feeling PR amd Cattman developed the intake together, and they share the design, since Cattmman's and PR's CAI are almost identical, and PR's intake is one of the few non-cattman branded items available on Cattman's site.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by richspidizzy
nope two seperate companies (PR stands for Place Racing in case you didn't know; www.placeracing.com)

I have a feeling PR amd Cattman developed the intake together, and they share the design, since Cattmman's and PR's CAI are almost identical, and PR's intake is one of the few non-cattman branded items available on Cattman's site.
Hehe, I knew of Place Racing (have one under the hood ) But I was always under the impression that PR actually manufactured the Cattman brand intake