5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

newbie, need help accessing the console

Old 04-02-2001, 06:51 PM

i'm considering installing an amp and sub enclosure for my 2k maxima and would like to do the install myself. nissan's done a good job of hiding all the assemply screws tho and i can't see how to get at the back of the head unit. mine is not a bose system so i'm assuming that i'll have to use speaker level inputs on the amp.
also, anyone know if the power lead to the antennae turns off when the radio is playing a cd or tape?
i could figure that out if i could get to the head unit tho.
thanks in advance for any help guys.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:35 PM

What you need to do to get the head unit out is very intensive. First you have to remove the air vents above the radio to expose the top two screws. Then, open the ashtray and remove the screw behind the liner. Next you have to remove the surrounding plastic around the shifter. If you have an automatic you'll need to place the shifter in neutral. Finally, you'll be able to see the bottom two screws that will let you remove the deck and a/c controls in the one huge cage. hope that helps.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:41 PM

thanx for the reply!!!
i'm really starting to appreciate the benefit of this website.
i'll try out your suggestion tomorrow.... tho i'm not quite sure how i'm supposed to remove the a/c vents up top. i'll give it a go then post here again if i can't figure it out.

thanks again.
Old 04-02-2001, 11:00 PM

If your just putting an amp and sub in why do you need to get to the back of the head unit?
Old 04-02-2001, 11:43 PM

you don't but he asked how, so i told em.
Old 04-03-2001, 08:13 PM

this is news to me. i'm pretty new to this, so help me out with some assumptions i've been operating with.
i thought that in order to connect the speaker level inputs and the remote cable to the amp, i'd have to connect the other ends to the corresponding connections on the back of the head unit.
if there's another way of doing this without opening up the entire console, please advise
Old 04-03-2001, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by serin
this is news to me. i'm pretty new to this, so help me out with some assumptions i've been operating with.
i thought that in order to connect the speaker level inputs and the remote cable to the amp, i'd have to connect the other ends to the corresponding connections on the back of the head unit.
if there's another way of doing this without opening up the entire console, please advise
If you're adding the sub to a bose system, then you can probably get the input off the amp in the trunk, mounted under the deck. If it's not the bose, you're probably best off getting the speaker level inputs from the head unit... since all speakers are mounted in the doors, it seems like a chore to tap into those... unless you can trace those line midway...

good luck
Old 04-03-2001, 11:03 PM

BTW, I think someone posted more detailed instructions a while back... try the search feature...