5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need some instructions for installing an intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need some instructions for installing an intake

Hey, I'm new to these forums. I just bought a 2000 maxima se, I'm loving it. So anways I recently purchased a cold air intake (place racing) and I wanted to install it myself. I heard its relatively easy, so im gonna give it a try. But it doesnt have instructions. Does anybody have links to sites, like how to's. I really dont wanna mess it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Also I was gonna get a front strut tower bar. Otto seems to be good and inexpensive. Any opinions about the bars on ebay (the no name brands)? Are they any good or all crap?

thanks for the help

o yeah, i think the intake installation link on the howto section is down. and I cant search the forums, its says im restricted. is it just me?
thanks again
Old 07-25-2004, 07:02 PM

Can Someone Please Hook Me Up With Installation Instructions?
Does Anbody Have Links?
Pleeeease!
Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
imported_JIC_A33

where in NY u at?

Old 07-25-2004, 07:50 PM
retired moderator

you'll have to wait for someone with at PR CAI to see your post....I don't remember ever seeing any install instructions for the PR CAI (not that many people on here have those I don't think because they require cutting a hole in the wheelwell of the car - which most of us don't want to do)....

only donating members can search, and unfortunately they aren't accepting donations right now....I did a quick search for you and didn't find any install directions, so if you're lucky maybe someone with a PR CAI will post here .

So consider this your free "bump"
Old 07-25-2004, 08:25 PM

I'm actually in long island for the rest of the summer.

I didn't know about cutting the hole in the wheelwell. I did some research but i guess not enough. Is it not preferred because its inconvenient or because it doesnt work well? I guess I wouldn't mind getting it professionally installed, but I wanted to save some money. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:29 PM
retired moderator

I'm just saying alot of people do not want to cut the hole in the car to install it, which is why not as many people have it.

In terms of its effectiveness - well it's the only TRUE Cold Air Intake available for the Max (I think)...the Berk, Injen, and Frankencar ones are not true cold air...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

go to the how to's Page 2. Pioneer's place racing cold air intake.
Good luck, I had mine professionally installed for $135. I did'nt know how to or have the stuff to cut any metal
Old 07-26-2004, 05:30 AM

I have had the Place Racing CAI since last July and I love it...and yes i believe it's the only true CAI for the max ...i might still have the instructions laying around my house and I'll check for you when i get back from work...i know there is a set of directions and also a paper template for placement of the hole which is required for correct placement...cutting the hole was no problem IMO it only took a matter of 10 minutes and was well worth it...if ur not comfortable with cutting metal in your car then obviously i would recommend getting it installed professioanlly then you don't have to worry about anythign at all...and i'm sure somebody will bring it up eventually that you risk sucking water into your engine...unless you plan of driving over 30 mph into a 2 foot deep puddle don't worry about it but if you don't wanna risk any chance like me then get a 3" AEM Bypass Valve (install it with the pipe to make it easier) and that eliminates the chance of sucking up water. good luck with the install and enjoy when it's done...everybody with this intake absolutely loves the sound and performance gains...also...I recommend the Otto front strut bar...i recently put one on my car and it fit perfect and looks real nice (just so you know the one for our car has a red logo saying Otto Racing in the middle and the ends are gold...unlike the pic on most sites) i got mine from southwestautoworks...if you mention you're a member here you can get a few bucks off and it ends up being $50 shipped i think...check out my website for pics
Old 07-26-2004, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the help. I'll look into the AEM Bypass Valve. I think I'll have to get it professionally installed since I dont have experience working on cars and do not want to risk messing anything up.
Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:50 AM

Otto

I also have the Otto bar up front. I have read some positive posts about the cheaper strut bars off ebay of it working as good as the expensive ones. There was a time off the group deal, the Otto was going for $40 shipped(not too long ago). I got mine from Procarparts.com of about $51. This was before I saw the GD on it. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and what your preference is for looks.