5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Wanna easily integrate your IPOD into your car? Check this out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:46 AM

Wanna easily integrate your IPOD into your car? Check this out.

I bought a Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter from Target yesterday for 30 bucks. It plugs into the headphone jack of your IPOD-or any other portable electronic device. I use mine to watch DVDs on my laptop in my car and have the sound play through my car speakers. This device will work with anything that has a headphone jack: PDA, MP3 Player, laptop, etc.

It runs on 2 AAA batteries which are included, and uses one of four frequencies between 88.1 and 88.7.

Here's a pic:
Old 07-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Z

I have something similar, and it sucks. Those radio frequency gadgets are a waste of money, imo.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:08 PM
retired moderator

They probably work fine in Kansas where you don't have alot of radio interference....they don't work so well in metropolitan areas with tons of radio signals all over the place, like NYC area, DC area, LA area, etc....you can never really find an "empty" frequency. Out in the midwest, you probably can!
Old 07-25-2004, 01:08 PM
mjg

hmm,

i just bought a box for my kenwood deck, that has rca's that input to it. All Ireally ineed is a 1/8th" to rca cable that can be had pretty easily.
I used to use an archos jukebox, but hated trying to play with it while driving, ithink the bueaty of the bimmer one is u can use the controls on the deck itself, plus it charge it for you. I'm sure alot of new decks will have this functionality built in.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Denison IceLink is the best option for integrating an ipod into your car, too bad they haven't made it for a Nissn for like 2 yrs now:
http://www.densionusa.com/x/index.ph...=375&Itemid=79

Word on the street is that Alpine is going to be making an iPod compatible HU... don't have any details other than it will "control" the iPod

EDIT:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/l...h_kca-420i.htm
Old 07-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like the itrip more, but if it works well then meh
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

itrip? whats that?
c'mon man, you can't post something like that without some supporting links
Old 07-26-2004, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip/
Old 07-27-2004, 04:58 AM

old news...

i have used the FM transmitter.. its ok.. my bro had it in his car and i was following and i could still clearly hear the song behind him.. but more than 1.5 car lengths and the signal is gone
Old 07-27-2004, 06:38 AM

I just bought the new 20G ipod. I love it, but for me, there is no good way to hook it up to the Maxima right now. I want a nice clean look without wires everywhere. (Currently I'm using the FM broadcast/charger-in-one that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but I get engine whine and loss of clarity, and it's bugging me.)

I already have a factory CD changer in the trunk and the stock Bose HU. I'm trying to figure out a way to wire it directly to the HU, but haven't had any luck. And searching through old posts, I don't think htere is an easy way unless PAC or someone else makes a product specifically designed for our Maxima. PAC has something out but, it's not for the Maxima yet (of course). I'm going to talk to some installers to see if another PAC will work.

One way: http://www.ipodhacks.com/modules.php...od-accessories

PAC iPod harness NOT for Nissan vehicles: http://www.pac-audio.com/auxbox/

What I'm using now: DLO TransPod FM for 30G iPod

So...I don't know what to do.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:54 AM

Okay, there's a corollary to this story-when I first used this device, it worked great...THEN I tried it again and the reception was *terrible*. I thought it was a viable option and was excited to share with the .org, but I must confess that my excitement was short-lived. I'm taking it back!!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:59 AM

Yeah dude. I have an iTrip and it blows.

I bought it for my drives down the NJ Turnpike and Parkway and the stations are only good for about 20-minutes or so, then you start getting interference and need to change it.

I bought a Sony tape adaptor at Target this weekend and it sounds fine.

I hear you on the wires. Instead of using a car charger, I just charge it up at home and it has plenty of battery life for a 3-4 hour drive.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:03 AM
It's business time.

Wow, I expected something technologically advanced.

You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I really wish they made all head units with a 1/8 jack input!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i bought a fm wireless at target for $20 but then i returned it because i heard it wasnt that good. so now i just use the tape deck and i think it works fine. you can see my setup at http://www.cardomain.com/id/hotpantsjones
you can see a little bit of the cord in front and i was wondering if you could hide the cord by sticking it back into the tape player and making it come out where my ipod is.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:56 AM

Bigboi-the tape deck option works fine for those with OEM stereos...the rest of us are stuck.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:32 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Right now I just have a tape deck connection, but I want to stick to some kind of wire connection (hidden preferably) for my audio. I do not trust the sound quality of the wireless. I bought an IPOD for a reason, to get away from FM.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:17 PM

I'd like to know what models of the tape deck connection people are using. I've heard horror stories that some tape decks won't work with these for various reasons (e.g. tape tensioner kicks it out, etc.). I have the Bose with in dash CD if that makes a difference. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:19 AM

See my new install!!!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....71#post3118671
Old 08-02-2004, 11:59 AM

If you have the factory head unit (or somehting with changer control capability) shouldn't you be able to splice into the input from that? You'd obviously lose the ability to hook up a changer, but for those without one I can't see why that wouldn't work unless they system somehow checks for other connections...
Old 08-02-2004, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Skizza20
If you have the factory head unit (or somehting with changer control capability) shouldn't you be able to splice into the input from that? You'd obviously lose the ability to hook up a changer, but for those without one I can't see why that wouldn't work unless they system somehow checks for other connections...
No, because the CD chander isn't a passive system. And if you did have a changer, it would still be a mess to hack into for a number of reasons that I don't have the time to go into. I did research doing something along those lines.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GaMax97GLE
No, because the CD chander isn't a passive system. And if you did have a changer, it would still be a mess to hack into for a number of reasons that I don't have the time to go into. I did research doing something along those lines.
Alright, so the changer is sending something back to the HU. I can see how that would be ugly. I've always wished (like someone pointed out above) that stock systems would come with some kind of aux input, be it a 1/8 jack or RCA or anything else you could tap into fairly easily. Back to the drawing board

By the way, nice R6. I ride an '01 F4i for now, but I'm lusting after the 1000RR.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:19 PM

Alright, so the changer is sending something back to the HU. I can see how that would be ugly. I've always wished (like someone pointed out above) that stock systems would come with some kind of aux input, be it a 1/8 jack or RCA or anything else you could tap into fairly easily. Back to the drawing board

By the way, nice R6. I ride an '01 F4i for now, but I'm lusting after the 1000RR.
Yep.

And I love my 6! Haven't ridden in a few weeks though, gotta get out there soon.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:04 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

I've always wished (like someone pointed out above) that stock systems would come with some kind of aux input, be it a 1/8 jack or RCA or anything else you could tap into fairly easily.
The '04 Sentra actually has a 3.5mm stereo minijack on the stock head unit for things like an iPOD or portable DVD player.

Too bad most cars don't offer something like that.

Peace.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:50 PM

I have a tablet PC that I keep all my mp3s on and use a FM modulator that connects inline to the antenna, works fine sound quality is good and absolutely no interference. all you need to hook it up is the adapter to attach our antenna to the standard Motorola type and another to go from motorolla back our type. this is the one i got off ebay for like $14 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...713081150&rd=1)bought one and was sent two by mistake, I gave the other to my roommate for his ipod and it works fine.

there is a company that makes aux input converters for bose systems, so you can use the inputs for the cd player to hook up Ipod, xm ect. but they don't make it for our HU yet. (http://www.carstereohelp.org/MP3/MP3Nissan.htm) I filled out the form and they sent me a reply saying they where working on one but didn't say when it would be released, go to the web page and fill out the form, maybe if they get enough request they will finally finish it.