5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Shell V-Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 09:41 AM

Shell V-Power

Anyone use this yet? I typically get 250 miles to the 3/4 mark when driving back and forth to work or around town. Two weeks ago I tried V-Power and got 260 miles. Thinking it was a fluke, I used it again last week and got 286.5 miles.

Seems like this stuff is increasing my mileage. I'm back to BP this week to see if there is a difference.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:46 AM
It's chrome alright...

It's all in your head...now that you're paying attention to mileage it's going to go up.

... and if it's not in your head and there really is a gain, the increased cost isn't worth it. You pay 10% more but only get 3.5% gain in mileage.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:08 AM
IgS

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
It's all in your head...now that you're paying attention to mileage it's going to go up.

... and if it's not in your head and there really is a gain, the increased cost isn't worth it. You pay 10% more but only get 3.5% gain in mileage.
huh? V-Power is their "new" name for Premium and costs the same as BP premium... at least thats how it is where i live

-IgS
Old 07-28-2004, 10:11 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by IgS
huh? V-Power is their "new" name for Premium and costs the same as BP premium... at least thats how it is where i live

-IgS
sorry... so it's their old gas renamed, then.

I'm sticking with my first guess...it's all in your head
Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 AM

It could be in his fuel gauge and mileage counter.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:18 AM

Shell had a problem with its gas and rite after they renamed it. Its the same crapy,expensive gas its all marketing. My friend had to put a new sending unit in his tank cause the sulfur in the shell gas f*** it up.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Anyone use this yet? I typically get 250 miles to the 3/4 mark when driving back and forth to work or around town. Two weeks ago I tried V-Power and got 260 miles. Thinking it was a fluke, I used it again last week and got 286.5 miles.

Seems like this stuff is increasing my mileage. I'm back to BP this week to see if there is a difference.
Gas, is gas -- as long as the octane ratings are accurate. The only difference are the additives -- mostly detergents, but nothing really performance or mpg enhancing. Kinda sucks here in FL. We have low test, 87, mid grade, 89, or high test, 93. Maxes need 91, but do we have that in FL? Noooooo. So, I usually use half tank of high test and half of mid range. Notice no performance difference compared with using only high test.

I just filled up with it today -- they were out of the mid-grade. My driving style is pretty consistent -- 50 miles a day back and forth to work. I'll let you know if I see any difference.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:33 PM

we have 91 where i am I'm in the brandon area
Old 07-28-2004, 02:41 PM

btw there was a really good topikc on this in the general maxima forum a couple weeks ago go look around in there it will prolly be quite a few pages back by now, or if someone wants to use their search you could find it for him.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by IgS

-IgS
It is not just a new name they have changed a formula a bit.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
scopium

shell gas sucks..

only two gas stations that actually have good gas are mobil and 76

Old 07-28-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by wade2ksleeper
we have 91 where i am I'm in the brandon area

Bit of a drive for me for gas. Weird that you have that and you're only 30-40 miles away. I've checked every gas station around the Tampa area (I'm in Tarpon Springs, but work by the stadium) and have never seen 91. Guess I'll have to look for some friends down your way so I have an excuse to get 91.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by kirzan
Gas, is gas -- as long as the octane ratings are accurate. The only difference are the additives -- mostly detergents, but nothing really performance or mpg enhancing. Kinda sucks here in FL. We have low test, 87, mid grade, 89, or high test, 93. Maxes need 91, but do we have that in FL? Noooooo. So, I usually use half tank of high test and half of mid range. Notice no performance difference compared with using only high test.

I just filled up with it today -- they were out of the mid-grade. My driving style is pretty consistent -- 50 miles a day back and forth to work. I'll let you know if I see any difference.
Sounds like a contradiction. The additives are what makes one gas better for your engine than others. If you have a 91 octane without good detergents in it, you will eventually have some accumulation of deposits in your fuel system. That will lead to a decline in engine performance.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Sounds like a contradiction. The additives are what makes one gas better for your engine than others. If you have a 91 octane without good detergents in it, you will eventually have some accumulation of deposits in your fuel system. That will lead to a decline in engine performance.
All gasoline has detergents in it. If you look at the test results -- there's a website out there somewhere -- there's not a whole lot of difference between varying brands. Remember, most gas comes from the same place, regardless of the brand you choose. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything.

If you're really concerned, add a gas additive (which the Nissan manual recommends against). I stick by my comment, gas is gas as long as the octane ratings are accurate.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hey kerzan i live in holiday right past you and try going to a 7-11... theyve got 87 88 91 93 ... and what ive heard with the v power commercial they claim to have 5 times more detergents then what is required... ive yet to use any shell gas after that fiasco they caused...
Old 07-28-2004, 05:28 PM

All gasoline has detergents in it. If you look at the test results -- there's a website out there somewhere -- there's not a whole lot of difference between varying brands. Remember, most gas comes from the same place, regardless of the brand you choose. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything.

If you're really concerned, add a gas additive (which the Nissan manual recommends against). I stick by my comment, gas is gas as long as the octane ratings are accurate.
I'm not really concerned because I don't use cheap gas. I don't need to add anything to my gas because I buy good gas. I don't go by websites infomation, I go by what I see on the vehicles where I work. We buy some of the cheapest gas we can under state contract. Some of the vehicles run fine on it and some of them ping like nobody's business. It also leaves nasty deposits on throttle bodies on our GM trucks. I know that most gas comes from the same terminals. I would still rather buy the gas with the helpful additives over the cheap no or low detergent junk. You can surely stick by your comment and belief. It's not going to hurt my engine.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:16 AM

I'm not really concerned because I don't use cheap gas. I don't need to add anything to my gas because I buy good gas. I don't go by websites infomation, I go by what I see on the vehicles where I work. We buy some of the cheapest gas we can under state contract. Some of the vehicles run fine on it and some of them ping like nobody's business. It also leaves nasty deposits on throttle bodies on our GM trucks. I know that most gas comes from the same terminals. I would still rather buy the gas with the helpful additives over the cheap no or low detergent junk. You can surely stick by your comment and belief. It's not going to hurt my engine.
Huh? You don't use cheap gas, but you guy some of the cheapest gas you can? You know, some websites actually provide good methodological analisys of different grades/brands of gas? Some of your vehicles run fine and some ping like hell? Maximas are unusually sensitive to gas quality -- they may not ping, but the ECU will certainly clamp down on the power to prevent damaging detonation, which is not good for an all aluminum engine. Some of the gas leaves nasty deposits on the throttle bodies of your GM vehicles, which leads me to believe you're not using quality gas. Either that, or your maintenance sucks or it's a GM problem. ALL gas has detergent additives, it's just up to the big gas companies to determine what formula, how much, etc. I didn't mean that most gas comes from the same terminals (it doesn't -- there are seperate tanks for the different grades), I meant that most big gas companies buy from the same places. There are a lot of gas companies and not a lot of refineries. You do the math.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:36 AM

Huh? You don't use cheap gas, but you guy some of the cheapest gas you can? You know, some websites actually provide good methodological analisys of different grades/brands of gas? Some of your vehicles run fine and some ping like hell? Maximas are unusually sensitive to gas quality -- they may not ping, but the ECU will certainly clamp down on the power to prevent damaging detonation, which is not good for an all aluminum engine. Some of the gas leaves nasty deposits on the throttle bodies of your GM vehicles, which leads me to believe you're not using quality gas. Either that, or your maintenance sucks or it's a GM problem. ALL gas has detergent additives, it's just up to the big gas companies to determine what formula, how much, etc. I didn't mean that most gas comes from the same terminals (it doesn't -- there are seperate tanks for the different grades), I meant that most big gas companies buy from the same places. There are a lot of gas companies and not a lot of refineries. You do the math.
Another one of your contradicting posts. You said the same thing that I said about gas. I said that some gas is better for your car than others. I don't buy cheap gas for my car. The place that I work for buys cheap gas for the fleet vehicles. You can take all the cheap shots that you want about this or that but you are not making any sense when you contradict yourself. Have yourself a lovely day sir.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:38 AM

Another one of your contradicting posts. You said the same thing that I said about gas. I said that some gas is better for your car than others. I don't buy cheap gas for my car. The place that I work for buys cheap gas for the fleet vehicles. You can take all the cheap shots that you want about this or that but you are not making any sense when you contradict yourself. Have yourself a lovely day sir.
Oh boy. Should we whip 'em out now? LOL

Didn't realize you were buying a different gas than what your employer does ... that wasn't really clear in your post. We can discuss written communication skills offline. Oh, please show my one of my other 'contradictory posts.' Can't wait to see what you dig up!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:42 AM

Oh boy. Should we whip 'em out now? LOL
No, we should just race.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:45 AM

No, we should just race.
You got a half liter on me boy, now that wouldn't be fair, would it? With the y-pipe, intake, and my somewhat-less-than-fat-***, and light as hell GXE, it might be an interesting race! LOL. Just messin' with ya bro, don't take me or anyone so seriously. Damn, I've got some bad gas.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:47 AM

No, we should just race.
Where the hell is pcola, anyway?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:09 AM
It's business time.

V-Power exists because Shell is losing the battle of premium fuels to BP and Amoco.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 AM

You got a half liter on me boy, now that wouldn't be fair, would it? With the y-pipe, intake, and my somewhat-less-than-fat-***, and light as hell GXE, it might be an interesting race! LOL. Just messin' with ya bro, don't take me or anyone so seriously. Damn, I've got some bad gas.
You're right, it wouldn't be fair. It's all good man. I don't race anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 AM

Where the hell is pcola, anyway?
In NW Flawda. It's short for Pensacola.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:10 PM

You're right, it wouldn't be fair. It's all good man. I don't race anyway.
Hey, mine's bigger! Oh, wait, maybe not. LOL Yeah, I don't race much myself. I was just messing with you about the pcola thing, btw. Hey, I DO live in FL, remember?
Old 07-29-2004, 02:05 PM

Hey, mine's bigger! Oh, wait, maybe not. LOL Yeah, I don't race much myself. I was just messing with you about the pcola thing, btw. Hey, I DO live in FL, remember?
Yes, I know you live in Flawda but I've never heard of Tampon I mean Tarpon Springs. I don't know if Shell is any good after the sulphur contaminated gas deal but I have used Shell gas in the past and I'm not opposed to using it again.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Mauja He Mauja

too drunk to read all the posts. she used to ping like a crazy cow when i used shell. about a year ago, i switched to amoco/bp. pinging is gone. shell sucks....v-power this!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:30 PM

Yes, I know you live in Flawda but I've never heard of Tampon I mean Tarpon Springs. I don't know if Shell is any good after the sulphur contaminated gas deal but I have used Shell gas in the past and I'm not opposed to using it again.
Hey, no hating on my Greek community! We have a saying ... "in Greece, how do you separate the men from the boys? With a crowbar!" LOL. Tarpon Springs is about 20 miles from Tampon ... oops, I mean Tampa. :-D

I can't honestly say I've seen any difference in my performance (car, performance, that is) with any different brand of gas. As long as I use high-test, the max is happy.

Cheers!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
too drunk to read all the posts. she used to ping like a crazy cow when i used shell. about a year ago, i switched to amoco/bp. pinging is gone. shell sucks....v-power this!
Boy, stop drinking and start working on the car! Paint chips don't count as mods, sorry!

I've never heard a crazy cow ... got any sound clips???
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 PM

Hey, no hating on my Greek community! We have a saying ... "in Greece, how do you separate the men from the boys? With a crowbar!" LOL. Tarpon Springs is about 20 miles from Tampon ... oops, I mean Tampa. :-D

I can't honestly say I've seen any difference in my performance (car, performance, that is) with any different brand of gas. As long as I use high-test, the max is happy.

Cheers!
I feel ya. Only high test for my Hog too. I spent a year in Athens, Greece when I was a Marine. It's a nice country. Good food too. They say pustay malaka a lot in Greece. Excuse my bad spelling.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:49 PM

I feel ya. Only high test for my Hog too. I spent a year in Athens, Greece when I was a Marine. It's a nice country. Good food too. They say pustay malaka a lot in Greece. Excuse my bad spelling.
LOL! "Malakis meno pusti" is probably what you're thinking of. Not a nice thing to say ... hope you didn't get that too much as a Marine in Greece? I'll have to go over and kick some butt!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:16 PM

And ... no, I'm not Greek, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 PM

what d you guysthink about citgo? or how about UGas?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Originally Posted by 30585
what d you guysthink about citgo? or how about UGas?
Never heard of Ugas, but in chicago, citgo is considered a 2nd class gas station. I stay away from it. I've been putting premium Shell in my cars for years now.

Oh and by the way.... GREECE EURO 2004 Champs baby!!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Mauja He Mauja

Boy, stop drinking and start working on the car! Paint chips don't count as mods, sorry!

I've never heard a crazy cow ... got any sound clips???
listen . the chips are mods..they are modification to the paint
Old 07-30-2004, 07:02 AM
Mauja He Mauja

what about Mobil? here aren't any mobil stations here, but everytime i go to chicago i stop and get mobil gas from this station in a little town. she runs fine.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Personally, up by me, I consider Shell, BPAmoco & Mobil as the top-notch stations to get gas.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by aliti19
Personally, up by me, I consider Shell, BPAmoco & Mobil as the top-notch stations to get gas.
I like Chevron, BP, Exxon, Amoco and Shell. We don't have any Mobil stations in my area. I buy Mobil whenever I visit Chicago.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:42 AM

And ... no, I'm not Greek, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
You're a crazy man.

Quick Reply: Shell V-Power