5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

rattling from the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 09:56 AM

i have a 2k SE and there's this rattling that's kinda loud when i go over cerain kinds of bumps. it's the rear driver side. it sounds like it's coming from the trunk, but can't be sure. i drop a couple of nuts (not my 'nuts') when i was installing my rear tok's. i couldn't get them out cause they fell into the cubby hole the shocks attach too. i'm thinking that's what's causing the rattling over bumps, but just want to see if anyone else has had this symptom.

kafene.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:58 AM

It's either the nuts in the tire well, or it could be your lug wrench or the jack if you didn't tighten it in it's little bracket thingy.
Old 04-05-2001, 10:00 PM
mrpid03

rattling from the rear

I just got my 2k1 SE last month and I also hear some sort of metallic clanking sound from the rear of the car when I go over certain bumps. The mechanic at the dealer claimed he couldn't hear anything when he took the car out for a test. He ended up just making sure that the tire jack, etc. were properly fastened down. But sure enough I can still hear that clanking sound when I go over bumps. I think I made the mistake of saying that the window should be down to hear the sound, because after driving around with the windows rolled up and the stereo off, I noticed that the clanking is a lot more obvious.

The service advisor told me to bring it back in so that I could ride with the mechanic and point out the sound. Maybe that'll do the trick. I'll keep you posted. Probably going to do some of my own inspections too.

Old 04-05-2001, 11:10 PM
RBa

Re: rattling from the rear

They have a tsb for this. I'm going back to the dealer in about 2 weeks. I'll try to find out the number.
Old 04-07-2001, 05:04 PM

Re: Re: rattling from the rear

Originally posted by RBa
They have a tsb for this. I'm going back to the dealer in about 2 weeks. I'll try to find out the number.
thanks. i hope you get it taken care of and let me know how it turns out. hopefully i can get it take care of too!

kafene.
Old 04-07-2001, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by RBa
A TSB??? They issue TSB's for everything heh. My Mazda used to do this.
Old 04-07-2001, 07:12 PM

My noisy rear (not post bean dip)

Originally posted by kafene
i have a 2k SE and there's this rattling that's kinda loud when i go over cerain kinds of bumps. it's the rear driver side. it sounds like it's coming from the trunk, but can't be sure. i drop a couple of nuts (not my 'nuts') when i was installing my rear tok's. i couldn't get them out cause they fell into the cubby hole the shocks attach too. i'm thinking that's what's causing the rattling over bumps, but just want to see if anyone else has had this symptom.
I don't know if it's the same thing, but I've noticed that sometimes it sounds like I have something fairly heavy in my trunk and it's moving around when I hit a bump. There was nothing loose back there (that I could find) that might be causing the noise. Interstingly, it has also occured when I start a trip and am just driving out my cul-de-sac slowly on a relatively smooth surface so I'm a little confused. I haven't even mentioned it to the dealer since I'm certain they'll never hear it and just brush me off as paranoid.
Old 04-08-2001, 10:55 AM

Re: My noisy rear (not post bean dip)

Originally posted by BlackAE

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I've noticed that sometimes it sounds like I have something fairly heavy in my trunk and it's moving around when I hit a bump. There was nothing loose back there (that I could find) that might be causing the noise. Interstingly, it has also occured when I start a trip and am just driving out my cul-de-sac slowly on a relatively smooth surface so I'm a little confused. I haven't even mentioned it to the dealer since I'm certain they'll never hear it and just brush me off as paranoid.
i think i know what you're talking about.. what i'm talking about is a distinctly loud rattling noise. even my friend who was sitting in the rear was saying "what the heck is that?"
Old 04-09-2001, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by RBa
Let us know what happens.. maybe this is related to the Addco RSB thunking noise.
Old 04-09-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: My noisy rear (not post bean-dip)

i think i know what you're talking about.. what i'm talking about is a distinctly loud rattling noise. even my friend who was sitting in the rear was saying "what the heck is that?"
Could it be your license plate bouncing around? I just noticed that mine is loose. I tried to tighten the bolts but the left one just turns around and around in the same spot. This sucks because that means I can't even take the freakin' thing off now (I can't loosen OR tighten it!). Anybody know the best way to fix this problem?
Old 04-11-2001, 08:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: rattling from the rear

Originally posted by punkdork

Let us know what happens.. maybe this is related to the Addco RSB thunking noise.
nope, don't have an addco rsb, i have stillen. and the weird thing is, i've noticed it only does it when i go over semi rough roads during a LEFT turn. straight aways and right turns seem fine. time to go to the dealer again i guess.

kafene.
Old 04-12-2001, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: rattling from the rear

nope, don't have an addco rsb, i have stillen. and the weird thing is, i've noticed it only does it when i go over semi rough roads during a LEFT turn. straight aways and right turns seem fine. time to go to the dealer again i guess.

kafene.
Same problem here. Look at TSB NTB99-056f, then figures 3 and 4. It seems that the sunroof drain pipe and the fule pump shield are all on the left side behind the finishing wall in the trunk. Mine does make noise when I turn too. I am having the TSB done on Monday (4/16/01) and will let you know if it corrects the problem...then again, my Nissan dealer told me that my eibachs would void my warranty so my expectations are not too high from them...
Old 04-12-2001, 09:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: rattling from the rear

Originally posted by Medmannj

Same problem here. Look at TSB NTB99-056f, then figures 3 and 4. It seems that the sunroof drain pipe and the fule pump shield are all on the left side behind the finishing wall in the trunk. Mine does make noise when I turn too. I am having the TSB done on Monday (4/16/01) and will let you know if it corrects the problem...then again, my Nissan dealer told me that my eibachs would void my warranty so my expectations are not too high from them...
uh oh, i have eibachs too, w/ tokicos. i guess i may have the same problem.

will let you know. where do you live?

kafene.
Old 04-12-2001, 09:13 AM

YOU GOT JUNK IN YO' TRUNK!!
Old 04-12-2001, 09:29 AM

yeah i do.

Originally posted by bcannon
YOU GOT JUNK IN YO' TRUNK!!
but i normally keep the bodies securely tied down 8)

kafene.