5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

performance clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 12:54 PM

performance clutch?

i have an 02 maxima se 6 speed. the throw out bearing is shot at only 35,000 miles. it's covered under warrenty, but while the nissan dealer is replacing the bearing, i would like to have a performance clutch put in. i had a 1997 maxima that i put a centerforce dual friction plate clutch in and loved it.

here's the problem... i can't find a performance clutch for an 02-03 maxima anywhere. hks, centerforce, stillen, nismo, aem, pace... nobody has one. does anyone have an aftermarket clutch in their 02-03 maxima that's not stock? and where did you find it? i'm sure that i could find one that's a nissan knock off, but i'd rather have something with a little more oomph. PLEASE HELP ME.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
i have an 02 maxima se 6 speed. the throw out bearing is shot at only 35,000 miles. it's covered under warrenty, but while the nissan dealer is replacing the bearing, i would like to have a performance clutch put in. i had a 1997 maxima that i put a centerforce dual friction plate clutch in and loved it.

here's the problem... i can't find a performance clutch for an 02-03 maxima anywhere. hks, centerforce, stillen, nismo, aem, pace... nobody has one. does anyone have an aftermarket clutch in their 02-03 maxima that's not stock? and where did you find it? i'm sure that i could find one that's a nissan knock off, but i'd rather have something with a little more oomph. PLEASE HELP ME.
JWT makes a clutch for the 6speed. call them up and ask them about it though, cause they don't have it on their site. i know of 1 .org member with it. i drove it and it grips very well. was pretty impressed. i thought it'd be harsher, but it's not bad at all.

the .org member that did this also did it yoru way. he gave them the clutch while they were replacing the tranny, and they put it in.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:29 PM
mjg

They make a flywheel too.

I'd love to know how they both work together. I think Phxblue has this setup.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:10 PM

Does anybody know if ACT makes or will come out with a clutch for 6 speed?

Andrei
Old 08-03-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo98
Does anybody know if ACT makes or will come out with a clutch for 6 speed?

Andrei

i tried ACT as well. they make clutches for 00-01, but not for the 02-03. i don't know if they are planning to make one.

the JWT flywheel was almost 500 bucks, which, granted would be very nice to have that gain in horsepower, but i was told by JWT that although i needed a clutch, the stock flywheel was probably in good working order (and the nissan dealer said the same thing, "you're probably fine. i haven't seen many burn out by 35,000 mi.") and that the stock flywheel is "dual mass". i guess that it is more difficult to resurface a dual mass flywheel because there are two peices. there's one peice that is a larger outer peice and a smaller inner peice that floats.
according to JWT, the reason nissan came up with this floating dual mass flywheel is due to "excessive transmission noise." does this mean that if i put an aluminum clutch from JWT in my car, the tranny will be noticably louder? i don't know and JWT didn't know but said he thought not.
i bought the "i'm not planning to put NOS or a supercharger on my 02 maxima anytime soon" clutch from JWT for 300 bucks. i think there were two more stages of clutches above this one but the next one up was 450-500 dollars and i only wanted to spend less than 100 more than what the factory clutch costs at 250. i ordered the throw out bearing from nissan. JWT assured me that that was my best bet.
i would love to get an aluminum flywheel, but would probably get one when i have a little more money to spend on it and have done a little more research.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by PoLo
JWT makes a clutch for the 6speed. call them up and ask them about it though, cause they don't have it on their site. i know of 1 .org member with it. i drove it and it grips very well. was pretty impressed. i thought it'd be harsher, but it's not bad at all.

the .org member that did this also did it yoru way. he gave them the clutch while they were replacing the tranny, and they put it in.

thank you very much. i bought one today.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:07 PM
2-Wheelin it...

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
thank you very much. i bought one today.
good....glad you went ahead...JWT's a respectable company. and as far as the flywheel, don't feel so bad. the few people i talked to said that depending on your use of the car, you may not need an A/M flywheel. if you do more daily use, a flywheel will be worse, as it being so light, the rpm's will drop very quickly and so the ride tends to get rougher or you 'll have to rev much faster to match up rpm's. with the stock flywheel,t he rpm's at least stay up there for a split second before it begins to drop, which is good for daily driving.
Old 08-03-2004, 02:15 PM

good....glad you went ahead...JWT's a respectable company. and as far as the flywheel, don't feel so bad. the few people i talked to said that depending on your use of the car, you may not need an A/M flywheel. if you do more daily use, a flywheel will be worse, as it being so light, the rpm's will drop very quickly and so the ride tends to get rougher or you 'll have to rev much faster to match up rpm's. with the stock flywheel,t he rpm's at least stay up there for a split second before it begins to drop, which is good for daily driving.
How much does JWT flywheel weight? If it's anything less then 10lb, then forget about it, it's too light. Also I hope ACT will come out with a clutch for 6 speed in the near future, since I will have one soon.

Andrei
Old 08-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What did the clutch run you?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:17 PM

anyone heard about unorthodox flywheels?
i just found one on ebay. here's a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
Old 08-03-2004, 05:33 PM

anyone heard about unorthodox flywheels?
i just found one on ebay. here's a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V
Old 08-03-2004, 05:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HOLY $HIT!

$700 + dollars! Um thats insane!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:38 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

I have the flywheel and the stock clutch. The flywheel causes to much bog down on acceleration from a stop, hence im reinstalling my stock one.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:07 PM
mjg

ahh,

yea i did hear it takes alot of drivability away.

Can you tell us some more of your impressions though anyways? I'd appreciate it hehe.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:21 PM
MK3 Supra and Focus ST

1st gear winds up fast and then its time to shift. After that it accelerates real nice.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:16 AM

How much does that flywheel weight, if it's too light no **** it will respond like crap. From what I understand, flywheel needs to weight somewhere around 15lb if I am not mistaken.

Andrei
Old 08-04-2004, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MiniRX7
What did the clutch run you?

$300.00 shipping included. fifty more than the nissan oem clutch from the dealer. if i remember correctly, it's the same price as the centerforce clutch i bought for my 97 maxima three years ago.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:26 PM

i think exedy might have a clutch setup for 6spd. i could be mistaken
Old 08-19-2004, 11:14 AM

this new JWT clutch is spec-friggin-tacular. it gives the car an entirely new driving feel. the clutch pedal, as per usual, was much harder to push to the floor, but now gives the car a more solid pull. after nissan installed the clutch, the service manager took the car for a drive and said that he wanted to put one in his sentra ser spec-v. that can't be bad. at first, city driving was a hassle because the clutch pedal is soggy for about an inch when you put your foot on it, and all of the clutch engagement comes from when the pedal is on the floor to halfway up the release of the pedal which is different than before. now that i've driven it for 3 days, i'm used to it and prefer it to stock. highway driving has never been more satisfying gating through the gears. i'm never going back to stock. i think an underdrive pully is next...
OH! and while nissan was putting the clutch and throw-out bearing in, it turns out my front brakes need to be turned and i had 10% life left on the pads. nissan would do this for only 275.00. Holy crap. no thanks. i went to custom maxima and ordered powerslot rotors and hawk pads. now that i can go again, i can't wait to be able to stop.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:21 AM

this new JWT clutch is spec-friggin-tacular. it gives the car an entirely new driving feel. the clutch pedal, as per usual, was much harder to push to the floor, but now gives the car a more solid pull. after nissan installed the clutch, the service manager took the car for a drive and said that he wanted to put one in his sentra ser spec-v. that can't be bad. at first, city driving was a hassle because the clutch pedal is soggy for about an inch when you put your foot on it, and all of the clutch engagement comes from when the pedal is on the floor to halfway up the release of the pedal which is different than before. now that i've driven it for 3 days, i'm used to it and prefer it to stock. highway driving has never been more satisfying gating through the gears. i'm never going back to stock. i think an underdrive pully is next...
OH! and while nissan was putting the clutch and throw-out bearing in, it turns out my front brakes need to be turned and i had 10% life left on the pads. nissan would do this for only 275.00. Holy crap. no thanks. i went to custom maxima and ordered powerslot rotors and hawk pads. now that i can go again, i can't wait to be able to stop.