5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is it bad to drive an automatic like a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is it bad to drive an automatic like a manual?

Is it bad for an automatic transmission to be driven like it was a manual, meaning, is it bad to put it into first gear, then switch to second at the right time, etc...
Old 08-02-2004, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Devils Fan
Is it bad for an automatic transmission to be driven like it was a manual, meaning, is it bad to put it into first gear, then switch to second at the right time, etc...
i would like to know that too
but then i doubt it would be good either ..hehe
Old 08-02-2004, 10:05 PM

Can't be 2 good 4 the tranny, but it's you car u can do whatever the f*ck you like. Also I checked out your wood trim, not bad but could be better. First thing you need a piece for you radio, kills the whole look without it. Also if I were you, I would have picked a different shade of wood, maybe something darker.

Andrei
Old 08-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

No, it's definately not good to drive an auto like a manual. Too much wear and tear on the tranny. Not only that, but it's not gonna make your car go any faster. If anything, it'll slow you down.

I don't know 'bout you guys, but an SE just isn't made for wood interior. It would look more at home in a GLE. But hey - to each his own.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
Z

It won't do damage if you're doing it right. Also, it does make you accell. stronger than if you were to accell. standard on D. I'm pretty sure it's been proven by car mags and people here who have taken their cars for 1/4 mile runs.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:37 PM

My friend used to do that on his car and he messed up a lot of things: His shift points got screwed up, it wouldnt downshift or upshift at the right time, the tranny shifted harder.. Just stick to leaving it in D.. If you like moving around the gear, get a manual....
Old 08-02-2004, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by aliti19
No, it's definately not good to drive an auto like a manual. Too much wear and tear on the tranny. Not only that, but it's not gonna make your car go any faster. If anything, it'll slow you down.

I don't know 'bout you guys, but an SE just isn't made for wood interior. It would look more at home in a GLE. But hey - to each his own.
Look on my www for a few pics on my 98 SE with wood trim, let me know what you think.

Andrei
Old 08-02-2004, 10:47 PM

Looks pretty good. That piece around the stereo makes a difference.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:56 PM

Looks pretty good. That piece around the stereo makes a difference.
Exactly! Not to long ago I added 2 slide out pockets from 99 with wood on them, that looked even more sick. But I didn't get to enjoy it for to long cuz I fliped that b!tch. Anyhow this threat to jacked with wood trim discutions, so sorry.

Andrei
Old 08-02-2004, 11:31 PM

wow i LOVE how ppl say the darnest things out of their *** without any evidence
its actually OK
allot of automatic cars, the honda accord for example, HAVE IT IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, and they actually RECOMEND doing it IN THE MANUAL
other cars to do this are the ep civics and the 2002+ teg's

you will put wear and tear on ANY tranny, manual or auto, if u overrev, or redline each time

but do it right, and its OK!

only problems are neutral drops and e-brake pulls...ofcourse yall know that
Old 08-02-2004, 11:36 PM

in My 2001 accord booklet didnt really recomend it, but it said you can do it and it told you how.. But seeing my friends tranny screw up, I stoped... Plus, at the time, there was some transmission recalls from Honda, so maybe that could have been why my friends started to mess up.

Originally Posted by otakueric
its actually OK
allot of automatic cars, the honda accord for example, HAVE IT IN THE OWNERS MANUAL, and they actually RECOMEND doing it IN THE MANUAL

you will put wear and tear on ANY tranny, manual or auto, if u overrev, or redline each time

Old 08-02-2004, 11:42 PM

its actually OK

Relaaax hot shot! I know someone (just like oxidizer does) that constantly shifted their auto manually and screwed it up. To me, that's evidence. So chill out.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:44 PM

LOL, DUDE!! I just noticed you live in Binghamton!!

its actually OK

Old 08-02-2004, 11:53 PM

Wood is so .....Aluminum is the shiznit....
Old 08-03-2004, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Thanks, appreciate that. I bought the car used and it came with the trim. I like it, and the price I got it for...
Old 08-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wood trim

Is that a flat dash kit or molded? and where did u get it from?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:44 PM

OMG, I keep saying it, I bought the car used a few months ago and it came with it, so I have no idea where it was done or anything. What do you mean flat or molded?
Old 08-03-2004, 12:44 PM

I like the wood on your car. I even like the shade of wood. 2 questions:

Whose kit did you purchase?
How big a job is it to do?

Frankly I think that today's auto tranny's are made to stand up under the manual shifting. While I don't shift it from 1 ot 2nd I often slap the shifter from D to 3rd if I am driving in a somewhat spirited manner and don't want the lag of the auto always shifting down from the overdrive 4th gear.

Just my $0.02

Mr. P
Old 08-03-2004, 01:23 PM
scopium

this subject has been brought up 799343030 times +1

shift your auto like a manual and you will end up with slippage and eventually dead tranny..

now alot of people are gonna go against me.. i dont care.. i know cause i've been there..

Old 08-03-2004, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by scopium

this subject has been brought up 799343030 times +1

shift your auto like a manual and you will end up with slippage and eventually dead tranny..

now alot of people are gonna go against me.. i dont care.. i know cause i've been there..
It's the shift gate that makes it soooo tempting. I have to admit...my name is Kirk and I'm a "manual auto shifter". Should have listened to that voice in my head that said "get a 6 speed you dumbazz" but other voice which sounds like my wife said "no way" so here I go on my merry with my auto.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak

Andrei
Old 08-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Yeah, when I'm on the Garden State Parkway and hitting an extended run of passing, I like to turn off the overdrive to keep it from shifting into fourth and causing me to lose all my steam.

Is that bad for the car?

I imagine it's not "good" for the car, but if it's still just keeping the RPMs around 4-5 for about 30-45-seconds... Plus, I take my foot off the gas when I switch the button on and off, I can't see that doing too much damage.

I had a stick for about 7 years before getting this car and while I love having the automatic around New York and all that sh*t traffic, but it's a bit of a bummer when I'm trying to do some spirited driving.

Sorry a similar thing has been posted so many times before.

Clyde.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Shifting wont hurt if you do it right, but too much shifting will.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:43 PM

I don't understand this "do it right and it won't break" crap. So much misinformation, so little time...

In our Maxima's, the transmission is electronically controlled by the ECU which in turn sends an electrical signal to the TCM (and vice versa) to perform various duties within the transmission to perform a shift. THIS MEANS, regardless if you 'manually' shift your transmission, it is still electronically controlled. Your transmission WILL NOT allow you to over-rev, no where, no how because the 'logic' built within the computer won't allow a manually induced downshift if the gear will overshoot the 6,000rpm "safe" spot.

Will it break the transmission? Who knows, there are those with personal experience who will say both. You decide for your own self.

On a side note to another reply on this thread, nowhere in my 2000 Honda Accord V6 manual says that manually shifting is recommended or some form of verbage. It does explain what the use of the '1' '2' 'd3' and 'd4' gates though, which just about every car does.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:20 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

i manually shift my auto everyday i drive it. 2k-2k1 make peak power @ redline so if you are to run quicker on the street then its worth it. i had the tcm and tranny soleniods replaced under warranty before any slippage occured. i dropped the pan @ 20k and barely had any shavings. at that time, i cleaned the pan & magents then refilled wtih mobil 1 atf. dropped the pan again @ 46k with no shavings at all. refilled with mobil 1 atf again. i try to keep off the rev limiter but it happens from time to time. if you want some good jump from a roll then put your 2k-2k1 auto in 2nd and run from a 55 roll. also run a hayden tranny cooler.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:47 AM

I do use the downshift for passing cars on 2 lane road.

The rest of the time, I actually back off on the gas so the 1-2 shift is being made with little power....less wear on the auto clutches.

I tried to do that with the 2-3 shift, but it is harder to match when to do it.

thanks

Carl Vic Vogel
Old 08-05-2004, 11:23 AM

So If Thats The Case What The Differnce Between The Sportonic Transmissions And Yesterday's "d"...essentially Its Just The Computer....
Old 08-05-2004, 04:18 PM

i say do it anyway. it does make it faster, but if you arent racing or whatever, just keep it on D unless you're bored. true all trannys go bad but better reason to replace wit a manual so you wouldnt have to fake it.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by gameover03
So If Thats The Case What The Differnce Between The Sportonic Transmissions And Yesterday's "d"...essentially Its Just The Computer....
The main difference on the majority of the manumatics is to select a desired gear (such as 3rd gear at 25mph) without upshifting or downshifting. There is a logic program built into the processor chip to allow this feature.

The thing that will eventually kill both transmission is excessive heat. Running '2' in a regular transmission at 60mph is going to produce as much heat as selecting 2nd gear at 60mph in a manumatic.

Running WOT throttle and manually upshifting the gate is no different than a driver leaving it in 'D' going WOT, it will still shift with the same line pressure, same action ect... The only advantage to manually shifting is to override the computer's default WOT upshifts or downshifts.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=CVicVogel]I do use the downshift for passing cars on 2 lane road.

The rest of the time, I actually back off on the gas so the 1-2 shift is being made with little power....less wear on the auto clutches.

I tried to do that with the 2-3 shift, but it is harder to match when to do it.

thanks

did you know that a firmer shift actually produces less wear on the clutches in an automatic?

as everyone knows, heat is the major downfall, go with an after market cooler. as for shifting the automatic like a manual, i did it when i owned a 2000 model and i had to put a new tranny in it, i wouldnt reccommend a downshift that much but as for an upshift i don't see where there would be any problem. just dont use your tranny as a brake going into corners....... heh heh heh.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:14 PM
† ErV †

Without me even reading anything above (plenty of posts about the same thing in the past) the simple answer is

Yes

If you need to ask why, you will probably argue that it is not harmfull.

Old 08-06-2004, 05:37 AM

If u want to shift. Just get a manual but dont shift with a auto that just asking to F your tranny up.... If you are looking for a more aggressive launch, turn the OD off. THen haul AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz