5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004 | 06:23 AM

Warranty

Can I dump the Extended Nissan Warranty and get another extended warranty from a different comapny? It seems like it might be easier to get things fixed this way as I can take the car anywhere I want. If so, can anyone reccomend a decent warranty company? My car has 50K if that matters...

Thanks
Old 08-03-2004 | 06:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It should be possible, but keep in mind you only get a portion of what you paid for the extended warranty. Oh, and do yourself a huge favor.. research the warranty company you are considering going with, find out who is their underwriter and research them. I lost over 2k on two policies when Warranty Gold filed for bankruptcy. Lots of those places are not US based so, if something does happen, you have to wait on the courts somewhere in the Caribbean to recover anything.
Old 08-03-2004 | 06:48 AM
It's chrome alright...

Any extended warranty company is going to give you a hard time...why to you think a 3rd party one is going to be easier than nissan?

And yes, it is possible to get out of an extended warranty and get some money back, but nowhere near what you paid. You're going to lose a lot of money on the deal so you might as well stick with what you have and learn from it for the next time.
Old 08-03-2004 | 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I Am thinking about extended warranty on my car... whats a good extended warranty company?
Old 08-03-2004 | 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
Any extended warranty company is going to give you a hard time...why to you think a 3rd party one is going to be easier than nissan?

And yes, it is possible to get out of an extended warranty and get some money back, but nowhere near what you paid. You're going to lose a lot of money on the deal so you might as well stick with what you have and learn from it for the next time.

Believe it or not, unless you're forcing the extended warranty company to pay for replacing the engine, or transmission, they are usually pretty damn good. Its actually the dealership you're working with that can be a pain in pushing the repair through. I had the dealership replace my MAF, while the PR CAI was still on Their only concern was whether there was a filter on the damn thing (there was one)
Prior to the Max, I'm ashamed to admit, I had a 97 Chevy malibu, that car spent as much time in the service department as it did on the road. I spent under $900 for the extended warranty for that one; it paid for itself in the first 3 months after the factory warranty ran out. Until they had to rebuild my transmission, they never gave me a hard time, and even then, all they wanted were maintenance records, once they got those, they paid to rebuild the tranny.
Old 08-03-2004 | 01:19 PM

I simply cannot see a 3rd party as being easier to deal with that the Nissan dealer. If you don't like the local dealer find another. Afterall it's good at any Nissan dealer.

Mr. P
Old 08-03-2004 | 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
I simply cannot see a 3rd party as being easier to deal with that the Nissan dealer. If you don't like the local dealer find another. Afterall it's good at any Nissan dealer.

Mr. P
I'm sure it varies, but I do speak from experience when I say the dealership has a great deal to do with how the warranty is handled. Example, had the dealership filed a claim for my MAF and stated that it was attached to an aftermarket intake, I'd be willing to bet, the warranty company would have denied the claim. Another example, I took my car to Crown Nissan, it was already lowered, but it was making some stupid noise (its been a while so I don't recall all the details) The service manager gave me a line about the fact that lowering springs miss-align the drivetrain, therefore my bumper to bumper warranty is void. Needless to say I didn't even bother arguing, I laughed in his face and told him his dealership will never get my business again. But the point I'm trying to make here is that the dealership does have a great deal to do with how the warranty repairs are handled. Also, if Nissan is anything like Chevy, the extended warranty is probably marketed by Nissan, but administered by someone else anyway.
Old 08-04-2004 | 01:09 PM

Sorry Red, your probably correct ... my statement was based on the assumption of a stock vehicle. Original post does not mention any mods.
Old 08-04-2004 | 04:01 PM

Yeah!!!! To cover yourself I believe you gotta call 800 nissan1 and try to get a copy of your aggremend and you'll able to see what's is cover and what is not!!!!