5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

stillen intake touches inside of hood. crap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 PM

stillen intake touches inside of hood. crap.

i have an 02 maxima 6 speed. the very first thing i did was call stillen and put a k&n cone filter intake (not CAI or short ram). the fat end of the cone is touching the insulation on the inside of my hood, rubbing a hole right through it and now i can see bare metal on the inside of my hood (not to mention that all of the insulation is now friggin everywhere on my engine).

i've put a few of these in and never this problem. if i try to angle the intake down, i'm afraid it will come loose off of the MAS. do i have to buy a frankencar...uh...arm pipe thing, or is there something i can do to remedy this? i live in boston and DON'T want a CAI. i will suck water during the winter. i know i will get more power but really want the filter to be nice and high up near the battery.

i know this seems like a novice question but just can't figure it out without buying an arm pipe thingy.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I dont know if this will help, but my frankencar with APEXi filter was causing my MAF to rub on the hood and make rattling noise.

So i removed it and rotated the pipe, where the connector now faces downwards.

You may try adjusting it by rotating it, or if not, use some zipties to pull the sucker downwords.

hope that helps.
ED
Old 08-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by dr_redonkulous
i have an 02 maxima 6 speed. the very first thing i did was call stillen and put a k&n cone filter intake (not CAI or short ram). the fat end of the cone is touching the insulation on the inside of my hood, rubbing a hole right through it and now i can see bare metal on the inside of my hood (not to mention that all of the insulation is now friggin everywhere on my engine).

i've put a few of these in and never this problem. if i try to angle the intake down, i'm afraid it will come loose off of the MAS. do i have to buy a frankencar...uh...arm pipe thing, or is there something i can do to remedy this? i live in boston and DON'T want a CAI. i will suck water during the winter. i know i will get more power but really want the filter to be nice and high up near the battery.

i know this seems like a novice question but just can't figure it out without buying an arm pipe thingy.

Keep your Stillen filter setup and use one of our (Berk Technology) intake midpipe upgrade kit. It will include a new bracket so that your Stillen filter will fit properly. I am well stocked on these units for the 02-03's.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com