5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Security Light Problem. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 07:16 AM

Security Light Problem. Please help.

Sorry if this is a re-post, but I can’t seem to get my search function working.

When I woke up this morning, my 2000 Maxima’s trunk was open and the security light was a steady red.

I closed the trunk, started the car, and when I turned it off, the light was still solid red. No blinking.

Any idea what might have happened?

A short?

Did someone mess with my car? (I’ve got the brake club and the regular club)

What’s strange is, my last car was a ’97 Pontiac Sunfire GT with keyless and I repeatedly found the trunk wide open.

I assumed it was an electrical problem, but never had it looked at because I was getting rid of the thing.

Is this the kind of thing that only a dealer can look at or will some regular service places have a computer that can do a diagnostic. The Nissan dealers in my area are shady at best.

Thanks for your help,

Clyde.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 AM

The trunk poping open could be from having your key fob in your pocket and sitting down or squating. My wife locks the doors and pops the trunk on her maxima all the time without knowing it.

Originally Posted by coachclyde
Sorry if this is a re-post, but I can’t seem to get my search function working.

When I woke up this morning, my 2000 Maxima’s trunk was open and the security light was a steady red.

I closed the trunk, started the car, and when I turned it off, the light was still solid red. No blinking.

Any idea what might have happened?

A short?

Did someone mess with my car? (I’ve got the brake club and the regular club)

What’s strange is, my last car was a ’97 Pontiac Sunfire GT with keyless and I repeatedly found the trunk wide open.

I assumed it was an electrical problem, but never had it looked at because I was getting rid of the thing.

Is this the kind of thing that only a dealer can look at or will some regular service places have a computer that can do a diagnostic. The Nissan dealers in my area are shady at best.

Thanks for your help,

Clyde.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:01 AM

That's a thought Thaniel.

I'll have to do a little experiment.

I live in the second floor of an apartment building and the car's parked in a lot outside.

I would be shocked if the keyless had that kind of range from my couch or the toilet or wherever, but who knows. I'll check it out.

Anyone else know anything about the security light?

Thanks,

Karl.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:05 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Try arming the alarm once all the doors/trunk/hood are shut and after 30-seconds of solid ON, see if the security indicator blinks.

If it's not blinking, something is wrong. I'm guessing either your trunk was popped and it never armed or someone activated it by opening your trunk after it was armed.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Here's a check to make sure your trunk room lamp switch is working:

1. Turn ignition switch OFF and remove key from ignition key cylinder. “SECURITY” indicator lamp should blink every 2.6 seconds.
2. Close all doors, hood and trunk lid.
3. Lock doors with multi-remote controller from inside the vehicle. “SECURITY” indicator lamp should turn on for 30 seconds.
4. Open trunk lid with trunk lid opener switch (on driver side door trim) within 30 seconds after door is locked. “SECURITY” indicator lamp should turn off.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:36 AM

You are the man dude. Thanks so much.

I'll check it out tonight after work, but before the Miller Lites.

Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:16 PM

When the car is armed, and the trunk is opened from the key fob, the security light will stay steady on for a small period of time. This is normal and shouldn't worry about it. Once the trunk is closed, it will go back to steady blinking after about 30 seconds. Yeah, I noticed this also when I first got my 2K. I had to understand all the points of the factory alarm system, because I miss my Viper alarm that was on my '95. I just felt more secure with the aftermarket alarms. I don't trust the factory alarms, because I think they're useless!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
When the car is armed, and the trunk is opened from the key fob, the security light will stay steady on for a small period of time. This is normal and shouldn't worry about it. Once the trunk is closed, it will go back to steady blinking after about 30 seconds. Yeah, I noticed this also when I first got my 2K. I had to understand all the points of the factory alarm system, because I miss my Viper alarm that was on my '95. I just felt more secure with the aftermarket alarms. I don't trust the factory alarms, because I think they're useless!
ya u can disable those factory ****'s real easy.