5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Great... My bass broke my windshild... PICS... Will nissan fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Great... My bass broke my windshild... PICS... Will nissan fix it?

So I am just getting in my car, put the key in the ignition, start up the car, turn on the TV, pop in my favorite cd and turn up the volume.

I am blasting my tunes down the road, happy that today is Friday, when all of a sudden I see that the bass has shaken my mirror down. So I reach to adjust it, and it falls right in my hand!!!

I look up, and I see a big chunk off glass is missing from my windshield! I look at the mirror, and the glass is stuck to the mirror! It does not even seem like it is possible, but it is. I took a few pics... I am just amazed that this could happen. Well, here are some pictures...

Pretty crazy stuff huh... I really hope Nissan will fix it... let me know what you think. Thanks guys.

-Chris
Old 08-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Maxima addiction cured w/ the GS pill

Oh yea, I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty. I've heard of other people having the same problem.

BTW... i think we have the lowest mileage of any '02 orgers. I've got 11,800 on mine now.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by aliti19
Oh yea, I'm sure they'll cover it under warranty. I've heard of other people having the same problem.

BTW... i think we have the lowest mileage of any '02 orgers. I've got 11,800 on mine now.

other people have had the same problem as this? are you sure? I thought this was a really odd problem... hmm, intresting. i Wonder if they are going to replace the windsheild, or fix it... or maybe it is not fixable... if they do replace it, i hope they do it right so i have no leaks in my car... this is a mess.

oh, and i bought the car with 12,500 6 months ago... now i have just over 19k. i am getting up there... it makes me sad, but i can't stop driving.

-Chris
Old 08-20-2004, 06:24 PM

It's not totally widespread, but I remember 2 different threads in the past 4-5 months that had the problem.

It's definately gonna be a new windshield.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
So I am just getting in my car, put the key in the ignition, start up the car, turn on the TV, pop in my favorite cd and turn up the volume.

I am blasting my tunes down the road, happy that today is Friday, when all of a sudden I see that the bass has shaken my mirror down. So I reach to adjust it, and it falls...

Pretty crazy stuff huh... I really hope Nissan will fix it... let me know what you think. Thanks guys.

-Chris
All your bass are belong to us! muhah!

I had the exact same thing happen to my 95' eagle talon 2 years ago before I got my Max. The same exact thing. Chunk of glass and all. I was shocked that it held so well. I had mind fixed by a place that does window replacements. I don't know what kind of glue was used to fix it, but it sets in about 3min and it's like new. I was slamming w/ my system again, and it never broke back off. ...

Theoretically it would seem like if it did break again (if you so happend to fix it), that it would put a nasty hole in the windshield, at which time, it would need to be replaced. heheh. happy thumping
Old 08-20-2004, 07:09 PM

how much would a new windshield cost? Not from Nissan of course.. ...btw i have 13500 on my 02
Old 08-20-2004, 07:11 PM

I'm guessing around 200-250 installed up around Chicago area.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Im not sure in your state. Here in florida, if you have any type of crack in the windshield your insurance company has to replace it free of charge and no questions asked. Its a safety issue and only applies to the windshield. I was amazed when i heard this.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 PM

dam , what do you have thats a first for me
Old 08-20-2004, 07:57 PM

damn, at least that **** didnt fall off while driving. I was curious about the windows caus my buddy that has a 2k when he slams his stereo the back window does some weird stuff. Looking like it would fall off.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:58 PM

other people have had the same problem as this? are you sure? I thought this was a really odd problem... hmm, intresting. i Wonder if they are going to replace the windsheild, or fix it... or maybe it is not fixable... if they do replace it, i hope they do it right so i have no leaks in my car... this is a mess.

oh, and i bought the car with 12,500 6 months ago... now i have just over 19k. i am getting up there... it makes me sad, but i can't stop driving.

-Chris
got 13K on my, got it with 5K in dec of 03
Old 08-20-2004, 10:17 PM

That's crazy. Makes me want to stick with my factory BOSE sub.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Banned

WOW, I Swear on my mother that happend to me about 2 weeks ago, i wrote about it on the org before it went down, Nissan told me that my mirror wasnt held up with nissan glue it was held up with some aftermarket ****, and plus i have 50k on my car so it wasnt covered. Thats BS though, there has to be a problem with our windshields. I just took some rearview mirror glue from pepboys and stuck it back up there, my mirror cracked too so its really ghetto but hasnt gotten worse, GOOD LUCK
Old 08-21-2004, 06:43 AM

other people have had the same problem as this? are you sure?
-Chris
A little off topic, but I was discussing just last night, that I had never seen a windshield breaking from bass. We got onto the topic while listening to LL Cool J's "Boomin System" from the Mama Said Knock You Out Album. The classic line is: "moonroof open, so I can feel the windblow. I don't give a damn if I crack my back window."

-Brian
Old 08-21-2004, 10:50 AM

That exact thing happened to me a year ago and nissan did cover it under warrenty for me just so you know
Old 08-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Get full glass coverage on your insurance and you can break as much as you want as often as you want for free.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:51 PM

nothings free man!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:52 PM

Hey man sorry to hear about your problem. Here is a good advice.
No metter what DO NOT pay your dealer, they will overcharge you. Try to cover it under warranty, if not check with your insurance they might cover it, if not just go to glass companies (NOT DEALER) and pay ~50$ for a fix
Old 08-21-2004, 07:50 PM

Well, i am just really surprized that this has heppened to other people. I mean what gives? is our glass faulty or something?? There is no way i am going to pay out of poket for this... nissan will cover it, or they will never get a sale from me again. not like they would care, but since so many people had this happen, then they should address the problem. i am going to go down there tomorrow and speak with them.

asu174 -- well, that would be the most stupid thing i have ever heard in my life. either your (A) joking, which you can take elsewhere because i am trying to get some help here, or (B) you really think that makes sense. And if thats the case, then you shouldn't be allowed to post. to reiterate I30 swimmer, nothing is free. if you make a claim on insurance, then your rates go up... and i am paying enough as it is. you have to pay for it sometime... the insurance company is not going to just fix your car for free. sorry to be rude, but that statement you made was just so.... bothersome.

anyways, thanks for all the help guys, i will let you all know what nissan says tomorrow... hopefully they will not give me a hassle.

-Chris
Old 08-22-2004, 11:41 AM

Well it isnt free, you have to actually buy their insurance and have comprehensive coverage for them to do it. You pay them for them to fix your stuff in case it breaks. Ive had my windshield replaced twice already, due to debris coming up from the road cracking it or chipping it. (Thank you Mr Big Dig :P ) and ive never had to shell out a penny.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:48 AM
retired moderator

Well, i am just really surprized that this has heppened to other people. I mean what gives? is our glass faulty or something?? There is no way i am going to pay out of poket for this... nissan will cover it, or they will never get a sale from me again. not like they would care, but since so many people had this happen, then they should address the problem. i am going to go down there tomorrow and speak with them.

-Chris
Let's not get into the "faulty" stuff....this is a "few and far-between" problem and happens occasionally on all types of cars. Maximas have some widespread faults (rotors, paint, coils, perhaps MAF) but windshield is not one of them. Also keep in mind that the low-frequency bass soundwaves have the ability to crack any kind of glass at certain frequencies, etc...Standard automotive glass is not made to withstand extremely high levels that are put out by large aftermarket systems. A friend of mine blew out/cracked 3 windows (including his windshield) pumping a single 15. He replaced all of his windows with plexiglass....

The area where the mirror attaches is an additional problem, since the mirror mount (and mirror itself) are also vibrating when you bass (as I'm sure you can notice)...the vibration is transferred to the glass and amplified through the mirror mount.

Of course you should try to get warranty coverage on it - BUT don't be surprised if they say no (I'm assuming you have aftermarket subs?). You admit right here that your bass caused it, and if that bass came from non-stock radio, Nissan technically is not obligated to fix it.

On the other hand, your insurance SHOULD cover fixing/replacing the windshield anyhow.

Best of luck with the dealer but just saying not to get your hopes up.

and turn down that bass!
Old 08-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My question is what kind of system do you have, i mean damn your window cracked that's some serious bass.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:46 PM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by MaxZ71
Im not sure in your state. Here in florida, if you have any type of crack in the windshield your insurance company has to replace it free of charge and no questions asked. Its a safety issue and only applies to the windshield. I was amazed when i heard this.

Only if you have comprehensive....

Old 08-22-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Let's not get into the "faulty" stuff....this is a "few and far-between" problem and happens occasionally on all types of cars. Maximas have some widespread faults (rotors, paint, coils, perhaps MAF) but windshield is not one of them. Also keep in mind that the low-frequency bass soundwaves have the ability to crack any kind of glass at certain frequencies, etc...Standard automotive glass is not made to withstand extremely high levels that are put out by large aftermarket systems. A friend of mine blew out/cracked 3 windows (including his windshield) pumping a single 15. He replaced all of his windows with plexiglass....

The area where the mirror attaches is an additional problem, since the mirror mount (and mirror itself) are also vibrating when you bass (as I'm sure you can notice)...the vibration is transferred to the glass and amplified through the mirror mount.

Of course you should try to get warranty coverage on it - BUT don't be surprised if they say no (I'm assuming you have aftermarket subs?). You admit right here that your bass caused it, and if that bass came from non-stock radio, Nissan technically is not obligated to fix it.

On the other hand, your insurance SHOULD cover fixing/replacing the windshield anyhow.

Best of luck with the dealer but just saying not to get your hopes up.

and turn down that bass!

Good insight. I do have aftermarket subs, you may check out my website with lots of pic there. I only have 2 12's with approx 600 watts going to them max. I mean yeah, it is loud... but never would i have though this would be an area of concern i would have to keep in mind. I know hundreds of people who have even better systems then i do, but they never had any problems.

i am just getting to the point where i do not like modding just because i have a warrenty. sure i have a lowered car with a bodykit, tv/ps2, intake and all the other goodies, but does it mean that i beat on my car and treat it like crap? NO WAY. i am just sick of them always giving me a hassle when i go in there. i am even nice enough to buy them a "box of joe" and a dozen dohnuts everytime i go in, and they still give me greif. i don't know... i guess it is something i have to get used to untill either my car doesn't have any more problems, or the warrenty expires.

but thanks again for your words.

-Chris
Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 PM
retired moderator

yep, I guess that's the tradeoff for all of us.....themore mods you have, the more difficult it is to sometimes get warranty work done.....oh well....
Old 08-23-2004, 06:32 AM

Well, I just got back from nissan. Now keep in mind that i just bought my car from nissan not even 6 months ago from the same dealer i went to for this window issue.

When i went there, i walked in with my mirror, and showed him the glass that was stuck to it. i told him that it just fell off one day while i was driving. the service man went out to my car and looked at the hole, and then walked around the car and comes up to me and says.. "when did you replace your windsheild?"
Not knowing it was ever replaced, I responded with "Never" and the service man pointed to the corner of my wind shield and said "it is not nissan glass." i looked over the side, and i noticed it didn't have the nissan "stamp" on it.

that makes me a little nervous. i just have to hope it was never in an accident. i need to find someone with carfax. but regardless, the service man refused to fix it. I got upset. I told him that i just got this car not even 6mo ago, i paid 21k for it, it only has 19k miles, and things should not be falling off! the service man told me that he would go check with the salesman and the owner to see if they could fix it for me or not. they are going to call me back.

arrrgh.... this does not make me happy at all.

-chris
Old 08-23-2004, 08:38 AM

Do you have insurance with glass coverage?
By the book it is not nissan glass they do not have to fix it, they will not get reimbursed for there repairs. anywork will be out of there own . but you argue to hell that you were not discloused at the time of purchase that your windsheild was aftermarket and you were not aware that this was aftermarket, threaten to sue them and take them to small claims court. they should of discloused at the time of sale that they will honor the windshield warranty by LAW.

good luck, this one could be a *****.

whatever you do , DO NOT PAY ANYTHING OUT OF POCKET!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:16 AM

same thing happened to me this past Friday. word of advice - get it repair ASAP or it will get worst. I have been thru 2 windshield and the last one I didnt get it repaired soon enough the it cracked all the way to the edge.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 AM

Shouldn't be watching TV when you drive - the a$$hole that totaled my bimmer was watching one of his 69547959037345 TVs in his car and missed a stop sign...
Old 08-23-2004, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by kobalt
Shouldn't be watching TV when you drive - the a$$hole that totaled my bimmer was watching one of his 69547959037345 TVs in his car and missed a stop sign...

Well, maybe you shouldn't assume that i am watching it when i am driving. maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.
yeah, that sucks that the guy hit you, but your post is completly off topic in this thread. If i needed parental advice, i would ask. once again, not to be rude, but lets think before we type.

-Chris
Old 08-23-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by kobalt

Bimmer?

Anyway NJ is a no fault state when it comes to accidents, because there are alot of a$$holes in Nj ;-)

Old 08-23-2004, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
Bimmer?
BMW. Bavarian Motor Works. It is a German made automobile.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 PM

ok folks. a new windshield is what? $200 - $300 out the door? people spend more than that on a worthless intake, and everyone is trying to figure out a way to get around paying for a windshield?

call your insurance company and tell them your windshield is broken. they will likely fix it.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 PM
retired moderator

if you get the Nismo windshield, it reduces wind resistance and adds 25 whp.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by ihavea5spd
BMW. Bavarian Motor Works. It is a German made automobile.
Nooooooooo, You are kidding me, i was being sarcastic :-)
Old 08-23-2004, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
Nooooooooo, You are kidding me, i was being sarcastic :-)
i kinda figured.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:36 PM
† ErV †

$265.96 including installation to my zip code..

Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM

asu174 -- well, that would be the most stupid thing i have ever heard in my life. either your (A) joking, which you can take elsewhere because i am trying to get some help here, or (B) you really think that makes sense. And if thats the case, then you shouldn't be allowed to post. to reiterate I30 swimmer, nothing is free. if you make a claim on insurance, then your rates go up... and i am paying enough as it is. you have to pay for it sometime... the insurance company is not going to just fix your car for free. sorry to be rude, but that statement you made was just so.... bothersome.

-Chris
The mirror falling off HAS happened to many people be4. Especially those with 02's what have a strong system. Yours surprisingly was glued on a bit stronger then most, why it broke the windsheild. Now either the glue was strong, or the windsheild is made crappy. Im leaning toward the latter.

My windsheild flexes a good 1/2" (dependent on the note being played) and has not cracked yet. The only time bass will infact crack your windsheild is for 1 of 2 reasons.

1: You already have an existing crack, it will continue to enlarge it.
2: Your putting out well over 165db...not possible in a maxima

As for ASU's response, comon man. He was obviuosly serious about the insurance. I can get sevaral windsheilds a year but obviously the breaking part was not. Have you not been on this forum long enough to know the difference between serious & sarcasm

Then again with this forum, I cant say I blame you.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:10 PM

Well, I did not get a call back from nissan, but i did go back there after i got out of work. they said that a new nissan windshield would be $700 installed. I was shocked. how can a peice of freaking glass cost so much? this is getting insane.

THERE IS NO WAY I AM PUTTING A CLAIM IN TO MY INSURANCE!!!

I pay $679 A MONTH for insurance for my car. if i put in a claim in, then i am sure it is going to go up. i can not afford that, and i can hardly afford what i am paying now.

as for the comment ASU made... you nailed it on the head. you never know when people are kidding. this is the internet, so you can not really feel emotions unless they are really obvious, or you know the person well. but nothing is free. ever. if you put a claim in, then rates go up. period. and to think otherwise is just silly.

-chris

Originally Posted by HitManSE
The mirror falling off HAS happened to many people be4. Especially those with 02's what have a strong system. Yours surprisingly was glued on a bit stronger then most, why it broke the windsheild. Now either the glue was strong, or the windsheild is made crappy. Im leaning toward the latter.

My windsheild flexes a good 1/2" (dependent on the note being played) and has not cracked yet. The only time bass will infact crack your windsheild is for 1 of 2 reasons.

1: You already have an existing crack, it will continue to enlarge it.
2: Your putting out well over 165db...not possible in a maxima

As for ASU's response, comon man. He was obviuosly serious about the insurance. I can get sevaral windsheilds a year but obviously the breaking part was not. Have you not been on this forum long enough to know the difference between serious & sarcasm

Then again with this forum, I cant say I blame you.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 PM

I probably wasn't in an accident but rather a rock smashed the windshield....happened to me and never reported it because WHY?

Quick Reply: Great... My bass broke my windshild... PICS... Will nissan fix it?