5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Great... My bass broke my windshild... PICS... Will nissan fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Blkmax95c
Well, I did not get a call back from nissan, but i did go back there after i got out of work. they said that a new nissan windshield would be $700 installed. I was shocked. how can a peice of freaking glass cost so much? this is getting insane.
Dont get an OEM windsheild, thats like getting OEM struts, paying more and getting something you know sucks when there is better out there. I deal with dealerships every day so nothing surprises me about their pricing. They will sell you pads, belts, hoses, sparkplugs, ect... select small items for a good price. If you however try to get something like a brake rotor, parts of the exhaust, not to mention the windsheild, and so on, they carry a large guage shaft and they love to use it.

THERE IS NO WAY I AM PUTTING A CLAIM IN TO MY INSURANCE!!!
Ive had AAA gold for a while now, every time I've gotten a crack I just give em a call and they replace the windsheild for FREE, no increased insurance. Its a part of the plan, sure I pay a little more for it, but if somehing like this happens, I belive the limit is 5-6windsheilds a year per vehicle (dont quote me on that though).

I pay $679 A MONTH for insurance for my car. if i put in a claim in, then i am sure it is going to go up. i can not afford that, and i can hardly afford what i am paying now.
See above ^

as for the comment ASU made... you nailed it on the head. you never know when people are kidding. this is the internet, so you can not really feel emotions unless they are really obvious, or you know the person well. but nothing is free. ever. if you put a claim in, then rates go up. period. and to think otherwise is just silly.

-chris
I known him for a while now. Hes posted stranger things then that, that response wasnt too bad, trust me ive seen A LOT worst

Your right nothing is free, ever. I do pay for it as a part of my insurance, but knowing the fact that I can have a few broken windsheilds a year (if it happens that is), even if you end up replacing it once, the money you paid for that extra coverage is paid back & then some. Good investment IMO.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:52 PM

i feel like my mirror is going to break in half during the hot day. good luck with the windshield.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:13 AM

Use your insurance and make the claim, find out if your glass is covered and how much is the deductable and what kind of coverages you have.
most insurance companies do not raise rates for your first claim. thanks.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Well, I have been going back and forth with Nissan on this. The main person I have been speaking with is John, the sales manager co-owner of the dealership. I have had (one) 1.5-hour talk with him yesterday, and (one) 1 hour talk with him the day before. Both times, I got nowhere. Basically he refuses to cover it. I talked until I was blue in the face. I didn't yell, I was holding back my anger, but I am sure he could see it in my face. Here are some of the highlights of our conversation... some of them are rather funny....

1.) "I am willing to bet that since you have stiff springs and shocks on your car, that is why your windshield broke. You see... the stiffer springs create more stress, and flex on the car, affecting the window directly. And when that happens, cracks will appear."

Yeah right buddy... tell me another one. If that’s the case, then your Nissan Z will need a recall because they all have stiff suspension.

2.) "Well, I am sorry, but I do not believe that your mirror just fell off you car one day, something had to have hit it rather hard in order for it to do this."

So are you calling me a liar?

"Not directly no, but SOMETHING had to of happened to it, you may have bumped your head on it when you installed your aftermarket stereo."

I installed my stereo one-week after I got this car. Would you like to try again?

3.) "You know, you should really leave your car in gear when you park, so you do not have premature rear caliper repairs that need to be done." "You see, when you pull up the handle...."

Look, I am sorry, but this is not the issue at hand here, I would appreciate it if we could stay on topic here. I know how to park my car, and I am aware to leave it in gear.

"Well, I am just saying, maybe that’s why your 3rd gear is grinding. You see, when you leave the car in gear when you park, the transmission has time to bond, and grab a hold of each other, so therefore it will shift better."

*I start to laugh* Wow, john... I am sorry, but that statement makes no sense at all. Listen, I know how to drive my cars, I know that what you just said will not work, because my car grinds 3rd gear all the time, and will not let me into 1&2nd gear half the time. And when I take it in, you guys say that there is nothing wrong, and you can't fix it. Tell me this john, what can you fix?

This guy was really getting on my nerves, kept on changing the subject, and when I mentioned taking them to small claims court, he said if I did that then I would no longer be allowed to get work done on my car at the shop anymore. And they would be sure to spend as much money as it would take to win the case. Yeah, so they will spend all the money to win the case, but will not spend the money to fix my car, and to make a customer happy.

I spent 21k on a car that I have only had for 5 months, I would like things to be cover/and fixed under the warranty. Part of the reason for buying a car for the dealer was to have peace of mind that if something did break, then it would be covered. I guess I was wrong.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent. I will get off my soapbox now.

-Chris
Old 08-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Typical for a dealership. What an idiot.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:22 AM

Well, maybe you shouldn't assume that i am watching it when i am driving. maybe you should keep your comments to yourself.
yeah, that sucks that the guy hit you, but your post is completly off topic in this thread. If i needed parental advice, i would ask. once again, not to be rude, but lets think before we type.

-Chris
I agree I overreacted. Forgive me - I misspoke myself and rudely distrubted your thread, its been over a year and Im still recovering both physically and mentally from my accident. But TVs and cars mix just about as well as booze and cars.

But to stay on topic, sorry about your mirror. Nissan must be putting crap glass in our cars, because I used to work with a guy who drove a beat pos 90 civic that had absolutely the loudest sound system I ever heard. You could hear him coming to work from further than one could see. But in the 6 years we worked together I've never seen his glass brake on that pos car of his. Hopefully the new MAX got thicker glass.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by kobalt
I agree I overreacted. Forgive me - I misspoke myself and rudely distrubted your thread, its been over a year and Im still recovering both physically and mentally from my accident. But TVs and cars mix just about as well as booze and cars.

But to stay on topic, sorry about your mirror. Nissan must be putting crap glass in our cars, because I used to work with a guy who drove a beat pos 90 civic that had absolutely the loudest sound system I ever heard. You could hear him coming to work from further than one could see. But in the 6 years we worked together I've never seen his glass brake on that pos car of his. Hopefully the new MAX got thicker glass.

No problem man, i over reacted a bit as well. it's just that so many things are going wrong in my life right now, and i am very on edge. the tv is mainly for show, and if i do use it, i am parked, or the passengers are watching it. (but even then, it is distracting.)

and i know how it is with accidents, a couple of years ago this lady decided to speed up to run a red light, and didn't see us. she was driving one of those commercial "econ van 250" and slammed into us going 45 and hitting the passenger side dead on. so she "T boned" us as some might say. i spent 3 months in rehab, and now i suffer from a bad back, two bad knee's, and a bad ankle... all because some idiot decided to run a light. that night will live with me forever and so will the pain. so it is not easily forgotton, so i know where your comming from.

as for the glass.... i guess i just have no choice but to do it myself... i just had to find a good company.

-chris
Old 08-26-2004, 12:45 PM

Chris,

I know you don't want your insurance to go up, but you should at least check with your insurance company and see if replacing the windshield would affect your rates before blindly dismissing the option. Like another person mentioned, here in FL if you have comprehensive insurance, the insurance will cover any windshield replacements with NO deductible and NO increase to rates. I know that you are in RI, and not FL, but perhaps your state has a similar provision. At least call and check. When my windshield cracked on a previous car, I called my insurance company to make sure that it wouldn't affect my rates, and they knew that it would not, and the rates, in fact, didn't go up at the next renewal.

Good luck,
Stephen

PS - You mentioned that you got into your car, started it up, and turned on the tv. There was no mention of another person, so you had the tv on with just yourself in the car? Since you also had the cd on loud, as you mentioned, you obviously didn't have the tv on to listen to it, so it was fair for someone to question why you even had it on in the first place, especially since you even admitted that having it on is a distraction. I'm not trying to be too "parental", so you don't need to jump on me, but I'm just trying to let you know why other people may take it differently than you intended, even though we all know that having the tv on had nothing to do with the problem in your original post.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:03 PM

Blkmax95c - no hard feelings then I visited your page - Nice MAX you got, the drop is just right! I wish I had a 3.5 in mine As to the back pain, I'm not sure about your injury, but I too had it since the accident and sleeping a small pillow under my feet makes it bearable (that is if you sleep on your back, Im forced to since the accident).

To everyone else - I once again apologise for disturbing the thread.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I want to thank you for the Florida Maxima drivers as I have just moved and switched my insurance. No bad luck with the windshield yet. But like they said, it won't hurt to check with your insurance and it may only cost you 5 minutes of your time.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM

I pay $679 A MONTH for insurance for my car.
Are you kidding me? I am 23 and my insurance is $814 every 6 MONTHS with a $250 deductible and full everything living in Las Vegas. That price sounds extremely high, it's more than $8000 a year and more than my car payment for the Maxima. You really need to find a new insurance company.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:26 PM

As for the TV issue, yes, i do have to use the tv everytime i get in my car. But only because the cd player in my car broke for some reason, so i have to use the PS2 for a cd player. which really upsets me because i got it off ebay, so there is no warrenty, AND I can not play MP3 cd's. So thats the reason, And i can understand why someone made a comment, but yet still not merited. but it is all in the past, and have made amends.

kobalt -- thank you, it is appreciated. And i do sometimes use a pillow, but it always get out of place within a half hour of sleeping. but thats enough of that.

And as for the insurance, they have never heard of such a thing, so i would have to put in a claim. and since my deductable is $1000, it would not be worth it.

-Chris
Old 08-26-2004, 03:55 PM

And as for the insurance, they have never heard of such a thing, so i would have to put in a claim. and since my deductable is $1000, it would not be worth it.
-Chris
I know it really doesn't solve your issues with getting your windshield replaced by Nissan, but I think you should check out my policy for comparison; I think you're getting screwed, the deductible at $1000 and $649 a month sounds next to impossible. My policy is attached below.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by xtantmaxima
I know it really doesn't solve your issues with getting your windshield replaced by Nissan, but I think you should check out my policy for comparison; I think you're getting screwed, the deductible at $1000 and $649 a month sounds next to impossible. My policy is attached below.

[IMG]http://www.indiana.edu/~phipsi/images/insurance.gif[/IM]
yeah, i just got new insurance yesterday. i was speaking with my manager in a meeting at work, and somehow we got into the topic of insurance. she gave me her company's card. i tried everyone else, and everyone wanted much more per month, so i figured whats one more try. i called them, and they quoted me a price for $445.40 a month!! i was very excited, and i got $900 back from my old insurance company. so with the money back, i am going to buy i nice new set of rims.

but my new policy is $1000 dedutable. but lets not forget that i am only 20 years old here, and no body is helping me through life by insuring me, or giving me money. i have to do everything myself, which is good... but costs more.

-Chris
Old 08-26-2004, 05:42 PM
retired moderator

good lord...you guys must have the worst driving records on the planet...That, or your insurance companies are giant scam artists!

I'm 28 with "some" tickets and 1 minor accident (airbag deployed)....

my rate for:
my 2000 Maxima AND my wife's 2004 Mazda 3:

just over $1000 a YEAR....with a $500 deductible.
(USAA)

oh, and it does cover windshield repairs with no deductible....
Old 08-26-2004, 06:03 PM

Why don't you just call Nissan directly and tell them about your dealership and your disatisfaction. Or visit another Nissan dealer. I don't understand why they would be so against it. The shop gets paid for the warranty work by Nissan. I wouldn't give up that easy. If you call Nissan directly and tell them your loyalty to Nissan and that your dealership is giving you the runaround, I bet a call to that dealership would fix things, but what do I know?
Old 08-26-2004, 06:05 PM
retired moderator

yeah...just go to another dealer and don't even mention that you've already been to one. Nissan warranty (and extended warranties) are good at ANY Nissan dealer....
Old 08-27-2004, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
good lord...you guys must have the worst driving records on the planet...That, or your insurance companies are giant scam artists!

my rate for:

(USAA)

Don't know if you noticed but my insurance is also through USAA. I have one ticket on my record that will be gone in October. I am 23 not the magical 25 and I'm living in Las Vegas, $1600 a year with the amount of coverage I have is cheaper than "Good" coverage from Geico or Progressive. However, $649 a month is 8x higher a year than I am paying and sounds absurd with a $1000 deductible where as mine is $250.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:13 AM

my rate for:

(USAA)

Nope, Infact i have a very good record. I have no tickets of any kind on my record, and i have only had one accident, but i paid out of pocket for that to the sum of $4000 just so my insurance would not go up. it is just because i am only 20, i drive a nice high tieft car with HID's, and part are expensive to replace.

-chris
Old 08-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Well, i am just really surprized that this has heppened to other people. I mean what gives? is our glass faulty or something?? There is no way i am going to pay out of poket for this... nissan will cover it, or they will never get a sale from me again. not like they would care, but since so many people had this happen, then they should address the problem. i am going to go down there tomorrow and speak with them.

asu174 -- well, that would be the most stupid thing i have ever heard in my life. either your (A) joking, which you can take elsewhere because i am trying to get some help here, or (B) you really think that makes sense. And if thats the case, then you shouldn't be allowed to post. to reiterate I30 swimmer, nothing is free. if you make a claim on insurance, then your rates go up... and i am paying enough as it is. you have to pay for it sometime... the insurance company is not going to just fix your car for free. sorry to be rude, but that statement you made was just so.... bothersome.

anyways, thanks for all the help guys, i will let you all know what nissan says tomorrow... hopefully they will not give me a hassle.

-Chris
If you have full glass coverage on your insurance, your rates will NOT go up and you will have a ZERO deductable. I replaced mine last week (and I have done it many, many times before).

If you do some research on this (which I am guessing you won't considering what you currently pay for your premium), you will find that I am correct.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:04 AM

I used to work insurance... The only time that you insurance will go up because of a claim is if it is collision repair. You have comprehensive and collision... Comprehensive is vandalism, someone breaking your glass, stealing a rim, stealing your stereo... and if you file a claim under this, it will not affect your rates. Collision will. IF you have an at-fault accident or you get speeding tickets, or a dui... Then companies like GEICO have a glass deductible. IF any glass breaks on the car regardless of how, there is a $50 glass ded. that will get you a new glass... Hope this helps... IF your comprehensive ded. is $1000 and don't have glass ded. then it is better ofr you to fix out of pocket...
Old 08-29-2004, 11:00 AM
retired moderator

Nope, Infact i have a very good record. I have no tickets of any kind on my record, and i have only had one accident, but i paid out of pocket for that to the sum of $4000 just so my insurance would not go up. it is just because i am only 20, i drive a nice high tieft car with HID's, and part are expensive to replace.

-chris
still...that amount is downright ridiculous. When I was 19 I paid about $1500-1600 a year with HIGH limits and LOW deductibles and that covered both my Integra (which was fairly new at the time) and my 70 Triumph (which is a death trap)....at the time I had a reckelss ticket AND got in an accident WITH A COP (though it ended up being a "no-fault" it was really his fault)....

just saying, your insurance is scamming you if you're paying $5000 a year....in my opinion. I know USAa is basically the best insurance company for rates, but still, for you to be paying 3-4x what I did seems out of hand.

btw- I know alot of buddies when I was 20ish had deductibles that were like $50....there is why your rates are so damn high. jack the deductible up to $250 or $500 (whihc is where i have mine now) and your monthy costs will plummet...
Old 08-29-2004, 03:29 PM

My deductable is $1000, and it is still that high. I can't get away from it. i checked everywhere, no one is cheaper. keep in mind that diffrent citys have difrent rates due to traffic, rate of thieft, and other variables.

-Chris

still...that amount is downright ridiculous. When I was 19 I paid about $1500-1600 a year with HIGH limits and LOW deductibles and that covered both my Integra (which was fairly new at the time) and my 70 Triumph (which is a death trap)....at the time I had a reckelss ticket AND got in an accident WITH A COP (though it ended up being a "no-fault" it was really his fault)....

just saying, your insurance is scamming you if you're paying $5000 a year....in my opinion. I know USAa is basically the best insurance company for rates, but still, for you to be paying 3-4x what I did seems out of hand.

btw- I know alot of buddies when I was 20ish had deductibles that were like $50....there is why your rates are so damn high. jack the deductible up to $250 or $500 (whihc is where i have mine now) and your monthy costs will plummet...
Old 08-29-2004, 05:54 PM

thats messed up...i have never seen that before
Old 08-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally Posted by cwally
I used to work insurance... The only time that your insurance will go up because of a claim is if it is collision repair. You have comprehensive and collision... Comprehensive is vandalism, someone breaking your glass, stealing a rim, stealing your stereo... and if you file a claim under this, it will not affect your rates. Collision will. IF you have an at-fault accident or you get speeding tickets, or a dui... Then companies like GEICO have a glass deductible. IF any glass breaks on the car regardless of how, there is a $50 glass ded. that will get you a new glass... Hope this helps... IF your comprehensive ded. is $1000 and don't have glass ded. then it is better ofr you to fix out of pocket...
Blkmax95c- Have you checked to see if full glass is available in your state or if you already have it on your policy? I was not lying before or messing with you. Your insurance will NOT go up if you have it.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:04 PM

my god. i pay about $540 a YEAR. high limits and low deductibles. it's
nice to be a 33 year old, responsible, home-owning adult.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:15 PM

Nice sig ihavea5spd.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by xtantmaxima
Nice sig ihavea5spd.
i hope i don't get

although, i probably should fix the typos.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:24 PM

Intresting. well, i do not know about that. but i did call my insurance company, and they said that they would not cover it since i got them after the windshield broke. so i didn't even ask if it was no deductable.

ihavea5spd --- i'll smack you. lol. my dad rubs it in my face all the time... lol... arrgh... stinks being young.

but i am gonna go to another nissan tomorrow, and see if they will help me out anymore then the dealership where i bought my car. you know, it is funny... my brother owns a Tiburon, and i took him it to get it service today. when i was there, i said "just for the heck off it..." and i told him my story. he said if that happened they would definetly fix it for free if i bought it from them. that just upsets me even more.

i will let you guys know how my "talk" goes with the other nissan dealership. hopefully i will have good news.

-Chris
Old 08-31-2004, 09:09 AM

ihavea5spd --- i'll smack you. lol. my dad rubs it in my face all the time... lol... arrgh... stinks being young.

-Chris
i feel yourt pain, brother. i've never had to pay as much as you are paying,
but that could just be because it was a loooooong time ago when i was your age. but, i do remember (vaguely) having to pay about $3,000 a year.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:36 AM

i pay 4000 for a year too