5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Installed my Dragon Intake - WeaponR

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 AM

Installed my Dragon Intake - WeaponR

I must admit, this was my first mod and I love it.
If you want to purshase a short ram, the dragon is worth every dollar.
Crisp acceleration, deep growl noise over 3000 RPM.

BTW : I've read somewhere that Weapon R "garantees" 7WHP.....
I mean, I notice a diffrence but 7whp is a lot, could that be ?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

a few hp is more likely andd yes it sounds awesome.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 AM

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 AM

u know, at first i didn't really like the growl at low rpms. But then I pulled up to a couple of ferraris and mustangs. theres bite to that bark. And it helped me justify it a lot more.
Gains? I have quicker revs but i dont seem quicker. I have the dragon, and a 5 sp. Met a Nissan tech who said there are upgrades for the ecu and other electrical "things" that should be done to acccount for the extra air flow.
Now this may defeat the weapon technology, but anyone considerin the K&N cone filter? I hear the weapon filter can be damaging? Waht should i tell my dealer if i want the best MAF? Does the SES light come on or will it come up with codes from ECU? I'm gettin the WSP Y pipe soon, Will my car be a lot louder?
Wow, even more questions still.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:01 PM
retired moderator

yes, get rid of the included filter asap. The foam in the filter will disintegrate in guess where the particles end up - your engine! Yes, it looks cool, but is the cool looks worth screwing up your engine for? There is no "weapon technology," it's just a stylish-looking foam filter.....

I'd suggest replacing it with an Apexi filter - it is similar to the K&N cone design, but you don't have to oil the Apexi like you do the K&N and from my experiece it is very good at catching particles, dirt, etc....

BTW, a short-ram intake will not make you "quicker" per se. Most people who have them have experienced a low-rpm power loss combined with better power on the high end where the additional airflow comes into play.All short-ram intakes are essentially the same....Weapon, Frankencar, Berk, etc.....

The MAF you want is number 226802Y001. You can get it for $88 at jerryromenissan.com. This is the updated MAF for the 2k-2k1. You just install it and you're done. Might want to reset the ECU by unplugging the battery for about 30 mins and then plugging it back in. As I said in the other thread, don't bother getting your ECU "flashed" - it will not do anything (except maybe give you peace of mind I suppose).

And yes, the WSP Y-pipe will make the car louder - on the 2k it gives kind of a low rumble at stoplights and roar at WOT. The rumble annoys me personally (in soonerfan's max) but some people really like it. But no, it won't be ALOT louder, just "kind of" louder
Old 08-31-2004, 02:06 PM
retired moderator

But then I pulled up to a couple of ferraris and mustangs. theres bite to that bark. And it helped me justify it a lot more.
I hope you're not suggesting that the intake makes you sound like a ferrari or mustang......you'll need a couple more cylinders for that to happen!
Old 08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
vsamoylov

which intake from these three are cheaper? and where can i get one from? Weapon, Frankencar, Berk? and do they make the pipes black instead of chrome and where can i get a apexi filter also? thanks guys. i am a nebie with intakes. this will be my first purchase and i need one to get asap so i can drive my car again. thanks.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=irish44j]yes, get rid of the included filter asap. The foam in the filter will disintegrate in guess where the particles end up - your engine! Yes, it looks cool, but is the cool looks worth screwing up your engine for? QUOTE]

Do you know this first hand? Do you have proof? I have had a Weapon R intake on every Maxima I have ever owned (3 all together). I have never had any problems whatsoever. My brother has my old 95 Maxima with a Weapon R intake with the original filter. This intake has been on there for over 4 years and is still in perfect condition. If what you say is true, that "the foam will disintegrate," then why haven't any of mine? I have always been pleased with the quality and performance of these intakes.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:28 PM
retired moderator

Frankencar comes in black, red, and silver powdercoat (i think) and is made of steel. They are available with Apexi or K&N filters from F.C. www.frankencar.com

Berk is essentially identical to frankencar except it is aluminum and comes in a brushed or polished finish (though I'm sure you could paint it if youwanted to).... www.berktechnologies.com (I think!) I'm sure you can get Apexi or K&N filter with it also.

Weapon....well see above - the filter it comes with is neat looking but not good IMHO.

There are also a couple other short-ram intakes such as stillen and some others, but Berk and FC are the "big 2" of the short-rams. There is also the Injen "long-ram" and the Place racing, which is a true COLD air intake (all the others are "warm-air intakes)
And then there is the GAB (which is free and gives the same results as the others!!) and the OSCAI, which is basically a "ghetto do-it-yourself intake"

I have a Frankencar, and am happy with it. I think most of the "veterans" here are using Berk.......

damn my fingers are tired now.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:35 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by MAXINXS
Do you know this first hand? Do you have proof? I have had a Weapon R intake on every Maxima I have ever owned (3 all together). I have never had any problems whatsoever. My brother has my old 95 Maxima with a Weapon R intake with the original filter. This intake has been on there for over 4 years and is still in perfect condition. If what you say is true, that "the foam will disintegrate," then why haven't any of mine? I have always been pleased with the quality and performance of these intakes.
Obviously its a generalization, based on things I've read here and other forums (not just Maxima, either). I will take back the "WILL" part and say "COULD"......I guess it's like how everyone says "5th gen MAFs always go bad".....even though most people have never had a problem. You have been lucky and have had no problems. My MAF hasn't blown, I've been lucky too.

In general terms, though, a foam filter is "more likely" to disintegrate at a slow rate and release particles than will a paper/composite filter.

Also, you are splitting definitions here. The FILTER is not the INTAKE. They are two seperate things. The Weapon R intake can be used with an Apexi, K&N, Stillen, whatever filter. BTW, after 4 years, you should be changing the filter anyhow....

Don't get all defensive, I'm not trying to bash your product or whatever - I'm just giving perspective on what I have heard from others who have had it (both online and "real" friends)....also I spent (too much) time studying materials engineering back in school and strangely enough, one of the projects DID include a comparison of air filters' materials (granted they were the filter for a Chevy V-8, but same idea)....so no, I don't have PROOF, but do have some background....
Old 08-31-2004, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Obviously its a generalization, based on things I've read here and other forums (not just Maxima, either). I will take back the "WILL" part and say "COULD"......I guess it's like how everyone says "5th gen MAFs always go bad".....even though most people have never had a problem. You have been lucky and have had no problems. My MAF hasn't blown, I've been lucky too.

In general terms, though, a foam filter is "more likely" to disintegrate at a slow rate and release particles than will a paper/composite filter.

Also, you are splitting definitions here. The FILTER is not the INTAKE. They are two seperate things. The Weapon R intake can be used with an Apexi, K&N, Stillen, whatever filter. BTW, after 4 years, you should be changing the filter anyhow....

Don't get all defensive, I'm not trying to bash your product or whatever - I'm just giving perspective on what I have heard from others who have had it (both online and "real" friends)....also I spent (too much) time studying materials engineering back in school and strangely enough, one of the projects DID include a comparison of air filters' materials (granted they were the filter for a Chevy V-8, but same idea)....so no, I don't have PROOF, but do have some background....
After reading my post, I can see I did seem somewhat defensive. I did not mean to be. I was just looking for a good explanation as to why everyone thinks this way, as I have never seen proof. I agree that the foam has a better chance of breaking down than a paper/cotton, composite or whatever other type of filter would.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:53 PM
retired moderator

it's all good - everyone always says I sound either mean or defensive...guess it's just the way I type (unfortunately can't type sarcasm!). As to this filter thing....just forwarding what I've read on here and on the honda/acura forums for several years...but then again, people only post on forums to b1tch...nobody ever posts a thread saying "My MAF has never blown" So who knows maybe only 10 in 1000 have had problems with the dragon filter.....just that we never hear from the other 990..
all in good argument though - not like either of us work for Weapon R, Apexi, etc....so doesn't affect us!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
it's all good - everyone always says I sound either mean or defensive...guess it's just the way I type (unfortunately can't type sarcasm!). As to this filter thing....just forwarding what I've read on here and on the honda/acura forums for several years...but then again, people only post on forums to b1tch...nobody ever posts a thread saying "My MAF has never blown" So who knows maybe only 10 in 1000 have had problems with the dragon filter.....just that we never hear from the other 990..
all in good argument though - not like either of us work for Weapon R, Apexi, etc....so doesn't affect us!
Agreed. I would really like to have the security of a paper filter because no one ever seems to have trouble with them. I have just always heard they don't flow as good as foam. You know how everyone wants every hp they can get!
Old 09-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Mauja He Mauja

where are the pics bub??
Old 09-01-2004, 06:13 AM
It's chrome alright...

I can't read 99% of that page, but I can read "poor" and "very poor" at the top of the pages with foam filters.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fil...t/1/index.html

click a filter to see the page where they rate how each did in a test of "what gets through the filter"

more info (very good thread, IMO)
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...ghlight=filter
Old 09-01-2004, 06:16 AM
I Miss My Maxima

My MAF has never blown.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe

click a filter to see the page where they rate how each did in a test of "what gets through the filter"

more info (very good thread, IMO)
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/sh...ghlight=filter
That was a good read. Thanks. Where is the best place to buy an Apexi filter?
Old 09-01-2004, 09:30 AM

Intake

I should be posting my pics in a day or two.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM
vsamoylov

thnaks for all the help guys. i am going to oder frankencar with apexi filter for my 2k2 maxima in black color. thanks again.