5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Performance Problem in '02 Feedback Pls

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:35 AM

Performance Problem in '02 Feedback Pls

OK, I have an '02 GLE with about 58k. The car is maintained perfectly, new plugs, new MAF, new PCV valve, air filter, etc. etc. Fuel system is clean and I only run premium fuel.

Since I have owned this vehicle (since about 30k) I have noticed several things detrimental to performance that I cannot get anyone to recognize and; much less, do anything about.

#1 Poor fuel economy. Nothing drastic, but consistently less than ratings (about 3 to 6 mpg), even when I baby it
#2 Pre-ignition at part throttle, even with premium. No ping at WOT.
#3 Not as quick as other Maximas. Not real slow, but when I roll off against other Maxes of equal specs (auto, '02) both consistently put a car or two on me from about a 40 roll.

I am meticulous about the vehicle and cannot understand the above, more importantly I am having a hard time finding anyone that can offer constructive thoughts on this, especially at the dealer. After talking with BlackbirdVQ (thanks by the way) I have backed into what may be a rear cat going bad. I do not have a CEL, so the dealer seems to be at a loss. But all the ingredients are there for a bad cat. Can anyone offer feedback on this and if I am off base.

Also, can someone PLEASE direct me to data that shows in black and white that when someone changes the timing with a Consult II, it will stay. Each dealer I visit, (all two in my area) I get the same story: 1. "we cannot change the timing with Consult II or 2. "even if we could, it wouldn't stay"

Feedback welcome, please offer constructive thoughts as to my problem.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 05:01 AM

Try the pedal reset procedures (not ecu reset procedures) found here...
http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm..
that helped me.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:49 AM

same prob!!

I am having the same problem! I have a 2000 SE - auto. I bought it about a year ago with 17k miles. Now it has about 33k or so. I am very meticulous about any kind of maintenance for my car, but my performance seems to be lacking. For right now, im pretty stock...with the exception of my injen cai. Its not slow, but its definitely not as fast as it should be. I understand that i dont have any control over when my automatic shifts.....but i am definitely seeing some performance degradation.

Please help us!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:56 AM

i'll definitely try that......anything else?!
Old 08-31-2004, 10:44 AM

Wow no one has any feedback on this??? Where are all the Nissan techs?
Old 08-31-2004, 01:33 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by burnout
Where are all the Nissan techs?
They're fleecing the rest of us at the dealership.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I seem to have the same problem with my '02 SE. It's got 67k on it and the performance is not as it used to be, i have the same symptoms as "Burnout", except the pre-ignition. The MPG is gradually going down, even when i baby it. I just don't know what is causing it.
What i did notice though is that it start having rattling noice from the cats, i think they are breaking down.

Please offer any ideas as to what is happening to our cars.
Thank you.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:58 PM

I would recommend what Juice was saying. It will give your accelerator a hair trigger at the very least, dunno about your gas mileage.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:19 PM

Just did the "Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning", "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning", and "Trottle Position Learning", will see how it goes...
I did notice better responce when i press the accelerator. Thanks Juice and Ferbs02SMMax
Old 08-31-2004, 06:07 PM

There is also a new program that came out for the 2k2 ECU about 1.5 - 2 years ago. I suggest going to the dealer and seeing if your ECU can get the upgrade. It may be worth it even if you have to pay for the new mapping. I have a TSB somewhere for it. If I find it I will post the number.

R
Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 PM

Thats correct about reflashing ecu. My settings were at ...12 and was upgraded to...14. Car responses better than when I drove the car off the lot from first day. Had new plugs installed at dealer and started to have all sorts of problems. Car was sluggish and service guy wanted me to leave the car and charge me $600 for new coils. Spoke to tech to bump up idle speed a hair and adjust my timing. Said it could not be done. Half hr later tech came back with print out to show ecu upgrade and timing bump up on the QT away from service rep. All the excitment and more with this 10 min. Consult upgrade; however try to find a dealer who would do this is another story. Service guy wrote me up for aftermarket intake. Said that was why car was performing bad. Not true had intake on from day one. Started to have problems after dealer put new plugs in. What a scam with dealer computer software upgrades. Or lack of implementing them so that they can charge you for major work instead of upgrading software.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CJLax
Thats correct about reflashing ecu. My settings were at ...12 and was upgraded to...14. Car responses better than when I drove the car off the lot from first day. Had new plugs installed at dealer and started to have all sorts of problems. Car was sluggish and service guy wanted me to leave the car and charge me $600 for new coils. Spoke to tech to bump up idle speed a hair and adjust my timing. Said it could not be done. Half hr later tech came back with print out to show ecu upgrade and timing bump up on the QT away from service rep. All the excitment and more with this 10 min. Consult upgrade; however try to find a dealer who would do this is another story. Service guy wrote me up for aftermarket intake. Said that was why car was performing bad. Not true had intake on from day one. Started to have problems after dealer put new plugs in. What a scam with dealer computer software upgrades. Or lack of implementing them so that they can charge you for major work instead of upgrading software.
So are you saying that its not worth having ur ECU reflashed by the dealer? I just got my 02 Max a little over a month ago and so far the car is good but now i read everyones threads on here about MAF's and miscellaneous TSB's definetly gets a guy paranoid. Can you just go to the dealer and be like i want the latest version of my ECU flashed? Or should i do it if i have no problems? And the thing wit TSB's is if u not under warranty then its ur pocket right? Im tryin not to worry but my other car is a 1st gen. Altima with all bolt-ons and tranny work...aka...not reliable...lol So i want this Maxima to be as headache free as possible!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:30 AM

MeeTsenPu - Take this advise close to heart. If it isn't broke.... don't try to fix it.

This rings very true with Nissan and service. I think most people here have had the same problem I have had..... You take your car in for a TSB or recall item and the work they do causes you more heart-ache than blessing. Every problem I have had with my max (asside from 1) was caused by the dealership. Either they did it wrong and I had to go back 3 times, or they removed this part and made another break, etc. The best was when I took my car in for a recall issue and they wrecked the car into another car.

If your car is running good and you think it is ok, then dont worry about the TSBs and bad stories, just keep good care of it. If you have to take it to the shop, then make sure that you really have a problem that you cant live with or it is causing such hardship with the car that you can't take it.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hmmm well put....i usually stick to the if it aint broke dont fix it motto...but this Maxima aint no OBD1 Altima that i can take apart and put back together in my driveway...lol Thanx for the advice
Old 09-01-2004, 03:42 PM

So are you saying that its not worth having ur ECU reflashed by the dealer?
No not at all. This ECU upgrade is great if you can find a dealer who Knows about it. They seem reluctant because your car performs better than when new. I guess they want to bang you out for things they can charge an arm and a leg for rather than making this car perform in the most optimum condition. My car performs great. Pulls through the low end all the way thru top end, Better gas milage and very responsive. Not sluggish like before. dblrr900 has a point however. These dealers have a way to screw with your car so think twice before you ask. Funny things crop up after a visit to your local dealer. On the other hand, you may have to pay for this service but the rewards are worth it. If your car is still under warranty ask to have this done for free. Never hurts to ask. Bring a TSB if you can find one here.